Nintendo Power Glove Makes VR Comeback with Teague Labs

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The crew over at Teague Labs get huge props for bringing back one of the worst things that Nintendo ever did by making it look like it actually works this time, with the HTC Vive! This is not some rudimentary software hack either, the Teague guys took their time and outfitted the Nintendo Power Glove with Vive motion tracker and custom-etched board which actually stay true to the original Power Glove design. While finger tracking is not perfect in the Vive software yet, these guys have it working fair well by judging from the animated gifs on their site. Hopefully they will get some full motion videos uploaded soon. They are sharing their code as well. Thanks cageymaru.

We took a Power Glove apart, 3D scanned the interfacing plastic parts and built modified parts that hold the Vive Tracker and an Arduino Due on the glove. After some prototyping on a breadboard, we designed a shield for the Due and etched it using the laser-cutter transfer technique. We then soldered all components and spray-painted the whole shield to protect the bare copper. After mounting the tracker and tweaking the code by matzmann666, we had the glove work. If you are more curious or want to reproduce this, we uploaded all of our files on GitHub.

I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.

lucas-wizard-2-300x244.jpg

Last edited:
So vr will finally start to look worthwhile with actual arms and hands in it instead of floating stuff? Right now vr looks like a joke with floating guns and junk. BTW, they got the last picture caption wrong, it should have been; "I love the power glove. It's so bad".

So vr will finally start to look worthwhile with actual arms and hands in it instead of floating stuff? Right now vr looks like a joke with floating guns and junk. BTW, they got the last picture caption wrong, it should have been; "I love the power glove. It's so bad".

nes-power-glove.jpg 1429316092270.jpg powerglovekid.jpg funny-gaming-pictures-that-will-make-you-feel-the-power-31.jpg rs1.JPG

Last edited:
too bad there is no left handed version.

that's pretty cool.

looking forward to using hands instead of a controller.

It worked well for the one game that took advantage of it (Super Glove Ball).
I have a power glove (after 20 years, my older brother is no longer going to pummel me for trying it), and bought this cart to get to free shipping --- it's a pretty awful game, is it worth hooking up the power glove to finally experience it? Or should I learn from my elders and not even bother? :)

I have a power glove (after 20 years, my older brother is no longer going to pummel me for trying it), and bought this cart to get to free shipping --- it's a pretty awful game, is it worth hooking up the power glove to finally experience it? Or should I learn from my elders and not even bother? :)
Mine is mounted in a case in my room. I also had an older cousin who wouldn't let me play with his power glove.

I bought one for myself a few years ago. The game wasn't even worth the time IMO.

I am so excited for this. I finally have a legit use for my powerglove LOL

The game is a functional demo of a 3D block game with ability to move your hand through the Z axis. It is the only game really designed around the peripheral, but don't expect more fun than you would with Arkanoid or Breakout etc. But, feel free to torture yourself with any other arcade style game such as Contra, Gradius, Jackal or Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

Back