Nintendo Plans New Switch Console Next Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to the WSJ, Nintendo will be releasing a revised version of the Switch in 2019, possibly as early as summertime. Hardware or feature updates are still being discussed, but some seem certain the console will sport a new LCD screen offering more brightness and/or better battery efficiency. Due to increased expense, an OLED display seems unlikely.

The new model is planned to maintain the sales momentum of the Switch, which has outstripped many industry observers’ predictions with its strong performance. The Switch has been Nintendo’s fastest selling console worldwide, with a stellar first-year lineup of games helping it to reach 20 million units since its release in March 2017.

That simply means the original Switch isn't as capable as they need. This is a very quick follow up release for even Nintendo. We never use our switch anymore, no games! Played the few that were worth a crap. Needless to say a lot of Switch owners will not be buying another Nintendo for a while.

That simply means the original Switch isn't as capable as they need. This is a very quick follow up release for even Nintendo. We never use our switch anymore, no games! Played the few that were worth a crap. Needless to say a lot of Switch owners will not be buying another Nintendo for a while.
I agree. I have not touched mine in months.

Was never sold on this as a console from the beginning. It's quirky sure but lacks grunt and the dock being able to scrape up the screen was a pretty odd oversight. I honestly think it's harder for nintendo to bring out a console than it is MS or Sony. MS and Sony do the "powerhouse" consoles and if nintendo went that way it would just be more of the same but with likely less third party support. So nintendo stick to the quirky stuff that seems to have a lot of initial interest but ultimately gets stale pretty quick.

Hopefully the drop to a smaller node will make a noticeable difference to battery life. I don't imagine much else will be upgraded aside from locking out homebrewers.

I use my Switch almost daily. I play a ton of Mario Kart online and am looking forward to Smash in a few months.

Hollow knight and Dead Cells are also great games to play on mobile.

I’ve probably logged more hours on my Switch this year than on my PC.

Was never sold on this as a console from the beginning. It's quirky sure but lacks grunt and the dock being able to scrape up the screen was a pretty odd oversight. I honestly think it's harder for nintendo to bring out a console than it is MS or Sony. MS and Sony do the "powerhouse" consoles and if nintendo went that way it would just be more of the same but with likely less third party support. So nintendo stick to the quirky stuff that seems to have a lot of initial interest but ultimately gets stale pretty quick.

I disagree. If Nintendo made a powerhouse console with similar specs to Sony and MS, they probably do well given that they would get the same third party support that the other consoles have but with their own killer first party games.

The real loser I feel would be Microsoft, who has absolute shit all for exclusives this generation.

Last edited:
I just want a real console from Nintendo. No more gimmicks with motion or portability and for the love of god get something higher than 240p in the next handheld, 720p min.

I’m pretty sure Switch is the next handheld. It’s hard to see them releasing two competing portable consoles even if they aren’t perfect replacements for one another.

Always figured it was a forgone conclusion considering when it was announced it was using (a then) 2yr old mobile soc and can’t do 900p at 30fps.

I don't mind buying another. I will probably keep my current one for homebrew, granted as long as they are making decent upgrades. I'm pretty sure this revision is for the Tegra hardware vulnerability to stop piracy.

I'm not shocked since piracy on the Switch is easy to do now, plus there's even a Switch emulator that somewhat works and allows you to even run Mario Odyssey. Don't be too shocked if the new "Enhanced" Switch doesn't use Nvidia hardware, considering it was Nvidia's documentation that made hacking it easy. I would imagine that Nintendo is pretty pissed at Nvidia right now.

I asked my kids if they were interested in a Switch. My youngest said kids she is friends with said they are boring. The other had no interest either.
One plays a PS4 a lot (mostly Fortnite), the other plays a lot of Roblox on a PC. Both have older mobile devices but haven't noticed them playing many games on them.

Wish they would just use the same resolution for handheld that they do for output to tv, the battery be damned. Even if its plugged in I get that crappy downgraded image. Don't need a new console, just up the handheld res in an option somewhere.

More importantly does this mean that Nvidia will be releasing a new shield tv due to a possible new Tegra chip. ;)

I'm not shocked since piracy on the Switch is easy to do now, plus there's even a Switch emulator that somewhat works and allows you to even run Mario Odyssey. Don't be too shocked if the new "Enhanced" Switch doesn't use Nvidia hardware, considering it was Nvidia's documentation that made hacking it easy. I would imagine that Nintendo is pretty pissed at Nvidia right now.
Correct me if wrong because I don't know shit. Wouldn't they kinda have to use Nvidia again to support original Switch titles? Or would devs have to do something because of entire new architecture? Use emulator chip like OG PS3?

I’m pretty sure Switch is the next handheld. It’s hard to see them releasing two competing portable consoles even if they aren’t perfect replacements for one another.

Right, with a die shrink, they can fit the switch hardware in something more portable. Ditch the removable controls and dock, and they can fit it into a 3dsxl case and charge two hundred for it.

And they can also bump the clocks of the new switch full size console, so this helps across the board (they're about half the speed of Nvidia's Shield Android TV).

They can double performance without having to use a new architecture (and potentially break compatibility), because Switch left so much performance untapped. And with the die shrink, they can also backport I/O efficiency improvements from Pascal. Those two *might* be enough to fit it into the smaller 3ds xl power consumption footprint.

Last edited:
A switch is useful if you play it more on mobile. It can't be beat, especially if Nintendo releases normal GB games for it. However, just at home, it's probably got limited appeal.

i think that gameboy case isn't for cellphones but for the switch

For those that own one , how bright is the screen in a normal lit room for mobile play ? Not meaning full sunlight or anything , but was thinking of getting one for the hell of it for mobile play at times and let the kids have another Fortnite machines as others have noted. Just wondered if the screen was bright.

Really hate that they dropped the 3DS for the switch.
The clam shell design of the 3DS-XL is a much better format for a portable, and much more kid proof.

The Switch will likely sell really good this holiday season due to the new Pokémon games coming out on it.

Really hate that they dropped the 3DS for the switch.
The clam shell design of the 3DS-XL is a much better format for a portable, and much more kid proof.

The Switch will likely sell really good this holiday season due to the new Pokémon games coming out on it.

Depends on what you are using it for. For me it's mainly on long flights, train rides and hotel rooms. Occasionally I'll use it in bed when my wife is watching TV in the living room

I dont think I'd ever pull it out on the bus or subway like I might do if I had a 3DS.

As for kid proof, it's a pretty solid machine. Plastic screen, plastic body, it can take a surprising amount of punishment

Depends on what you are using it for. For me it's mainly on long flights, train rides and hotel rooms. Occasionally I'll use it in bed when my wife is watching TV in the living room

I dont think I'd ever pull it out on the bus or subway like I might do if I had a 3DS.

As for kid proof, it's a pretty solid machine. Plastic screen, plastic body, it can take a surprising amount of punishment

There's nothing preventing you from making a flip-case with integrated controllers (like the GBA SP). The DS was the same basic design as the GBA SP, except that added a touchscreen to the bottom half of the hinge.

Or if that's too expensive, they could integrate the screen and controls in a a single piece (like the current Switch), and then provide a cheap plastic integrated flip cover with a magnet, that is designed to disappear into the back of the device when opened (just like my Kindle Paperwhite's cover).

But I'm in total agreement they need to ditch the removable controllers for the mainstream model (both for costs and compactness.) They've just been waiting on a die shrink to make it more mainstream (it dissipates 7-8w when undocked), which is more power than something the size of the 3ds xl can handle (5.80w sustained).

Last edited:
I don't think we'd get a new one. It sounds like it's more like an "Xbox One S" or "PS4 Pro" update rather than a whole new generation.

I love the Switch. It's an amazing little machine. Which is completely opposite of what I was saying before we got one. Great little party machine. Jack Box games, Mario Kart, Odyssey, Octopath, Mario Party, Donkey Kong country.

Except the 3DS will fit in you pocket (even the 3DS-XL if you have larger pockets).
Not so with the Switch, plus it has detachable controllers which are much easier to loose.

Except the 3DS will fit in you pocket (even the 3DS-XL if you have larger pockets).
Not so with the Switch, plus it has detachable controllers which are much easier to loose.

Sure, but I would never put something as large as a 3ds in my pocket and I’ve never once removed the controllers while using it in mobile so for me personally, those are non issues.

For my own personal use the Switch is a great replacement device. For someone who uses it daily on the bus or subway, that may not be the case.

Back