Nintendo NX will crush XB1 and mame PS4

Good news for Nintendo, is that they plan to launch for Holiday season, and will launch with new Zelda game. With no new hardware from MS or Sony, Nintendo has open season. Having one of their signature franchise games available at launch (something Wii U lacked) will help as well.

Life long gamer here, also need to preface this by saying I own a PS4 and Xbox One in addition to my Wii U.

I picked up my Wii U a month or so after launch and while it certainly hasn't had the success in volume that the original Wii had it's definitely the better system and I don't regret the purchase. It unfortunately carries a terrible reputation / stigma which I don't think is completely warranted.

Nintendo, rather arrogantly, chose to release it at a poor time and under-estimated the final performance of their competitors machines, I think the name also created confusion among consumers many of which assumed it was an add-on for their Wii. They wanted to beat the release of the PS4/XB1 to get a headstart and also whole hardheartedly believed it would be able to complete. This didn't end up being the case, It did offer a noticeable hardware improvement over the Wii, which it damn well should of given it was a recycled gamecube but also just barely eclipsed the PS3/360 at the end of their life-cycles. This, once again, created problems for their 3rd party developers/partners and ultimately led to it's downfall. Because of the performance disparity between it and the PS4/XB1 it makes it incredibly hard to port games to it without either sacrificing/holding back the PS4/XB1/PC versions or paying another studio to develop an entirely different build simultaneously. We saw this approach plenty on the Wii but it's not feasible with Wii U because it doesn't have the tens of millions of users/install base the Wii had. This basically left Nintendo with keeping the system afloat with 1st and 2nd party games.

The Wii U does have an amazing library of 1st/2nd party games and the best exclusives so far in this generation but Nintendo can't afford to make the same mistakes agian. If they want the NX or whatever it ends up being called to succeed it needs to at minimum be as powerful as the current consoles, have a strong launch line-up and a much stronger online eco-system. Wii U / 3DS are definitely an improvement of the Wii but it's not up to PSN/XBL standards.

Hopefully the rumors of AMD building some newer silicon for them pans out, if they can release the NX at a decent price w/o any crazy gimmicks I think people would be willing to give them another shot and eventually because the hardware is backup to snuff and its moving units the 3rd party support will once again reappear.

Nintendo, rather arrogantly, chose to release it at a poor time and under-estimated the final performance of their competitors machines, I think the name also created confusion among consumers many of which assumed it was an add-on for their Wii. They wanted to beat the release of the PS4/XB1 to get a headstart and also whole hardheartedly believed it would be able to complete. This didn't end up being the case, It did offer a noticeable hardware improvement over the Wii, which it damn well should of given it was a recycled gamecube but also just barely eclipsed the PS3/360 at the end of their life-cycles. This, once again, created problems for their 3rd party developers/partners and ultimately led to it's downfall. Because of the performance disparity between it and the PS4/XB1 it makes it incredibly hard to port games to it without either sacrificing/holding back the PS4/XB1/PC versions or paying another studio to develop an entirely different build simultaneously. We saw this approach plenty on the Wii but it's not feasible with Wii U because it doesn't have the tens of millions of users/install base the Wii had. This basically left Nintendo with keeping the system afloat with 1st and 2nd party games.

The Wii U is a very capable machine and doesn't really lack in the graphics department. It's no PS4, but it's definitely this generation and a huge step up from the Wii. I 100% agree that the name caused a lot of confusion. Hell, I didn't think much of the Wii U at first until I started playing some of the 1st party games. Lack of 3rd party games really didn't help them out at all, either. Great games are available from Nintendo, but paying $300 for the console on top of the games isn't something everyone can do for a dozen games...

the biggest hurdle for the NX is just that it is another new console. the Wii-U isn't even that old. The idea of people being burned once or twice in a 10 year period.

The Wii was a huge sales success but honestly it wasn't great unless you were nintendo fan boy. more of a party/social system
Then Wii-U comes out, the name confuses people, those who felt burned by the Wii stayed away or got into the party late.
Now 4 years later another new system with some other new possible gimmick?

Maybe if the NX was completely backwards compatible with Wii/Wii-U, that would be a good thing.

always just felt the Wii-U got lost in between the success/failures of the Wii and the PS4/XBONE coming out. I don't know a single person personally that owns a Wii-U but I know plenty that have a PS4/XBONE

Spot on. I own a 3DS and a DS, and skipped the Wii U (terrible fuckin name), and regret my Wii purchase.

Nintendo does handheld well, but traditional consoles? Not so well.

LOL the Wii U does not not unmake any of their previous generation of consoles which were all excellent.

LOL the Wii U does not not unmake any of their previous generation of consoles which were all excellent.

Wii sold a lot but didn't have many good games, it was mostly a novelty item. I own a Wii.

Didn't buy a Wii U because it doesn't have much of a good game library.

Gamecube was pretty bad and didn't have much outside of first party titles.

Therein lies Nintendos problem, they make all this hardware, but the 3rd party games are not there.

Wii sold a lot but didn't have many good games, it was mostly a novelty item. I own a Wii.

Didn't buy a Wii U because it doesn't have much of a good game library.

Gamecube was pretty bad and didn't have much outside of first party titles.

Therein lies Nintendos problem, they make all this hardware, but the 3rd party games are not there.

I actually thought the Gamecube had pretty decent 3rd party support, I remember EA being on board and Capcom having a big presence on the console (Resident Evil was exclusive to it for awhile). Squaresoft wasn't playing nice with Nintendo yet, and they were only pandering to the PS2 for most of that generation. But it was also a system that had similar power to its competitors.

The Wii U is a very capable machine and doesn't really lack in the graphics department. It's no PS4, but it's definitely this generation and a huge step up from the Wii. I 100% agree that the name caused a lot of confusion. Hell, I didn't think much of the Wii U at first until I started playing some of the 1st party games. Lack of 3rd party games really didn't help them out at all, either. Great games are available from Nintendo, but paying $300 for the console on top of the games isn't something everyone can do for a dozen games...

Nintendo has made great use of the hardware. I'm not 100% but I believe a majority of their recent releases have been 1080P 60FPS which is absolutely welcomed. Donkey Kong TF, Mario Kart, Smash, Pikmin, SM3D World all run 1080P60 and it's been great to see what Nintendo can do with "HD" and I'm glad they've been targeting 60FPS for both the Wii U and 3DS but it's still not powerful enough to match the PS4/XB1 and that creates a problem in that one would almost need a Wii U + PS4/XB1 or PC to fully experience the current generation and that is not an option for some. Nintendo needs to be on at least even footing with PS4/XB1 with the NX if they want to win back 3rd party support and sell a shitload of units.

I loved my Wii U when I had it, but I sold it b/c it just wasn't getting any use. Although, my PS4 isn't getting any use right now either but that's a different story. I remember playing Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U and I could not have imagined playing it on a different platform. The map on the controller was so fucking useful as were the touch-screen powers that you could instantly access as well as switched between different bionics. Was awesome and the game looks great too. And at the time my wife could be watching TV, and I could be playing Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U with my headphones plugged into the controller.

I fully expect the NX to do less than Wii U + 3DS combined by its end of life, if it is not a hand held at all then it'll sell less than the Wii U did. The NX dominating anything is a rather amusing assertion though. There are so many reasons why first party games are irrelevant (especially Nintendo games) from a sales/success standpoint it's almost not worth mentioning why Nintendo having good core mechanic games is pointless. As long as Nintendo keeps doing historic Nintendo things the NX is doomed to failure.

Online, 3rd party relationships, support, royalties, Kyoto based, gimmicks, ever shrinking nintendo base, release timeframes, etc. The list is very long folks.

Do I hope they address everyone of those sure, but like I said earlier they aren't dominating anything even if they hit on all those points.

Sony has some other exclusives coming up. Hideo Kojima's next game and Ace Combat 7 to name two. I'd prefer multiplatform games that come to PC to be honest. ~$300 for a few games and paid multiplayer service does not appeal to me much. Not too much into consoles anymore. I much prefer PCs. As for Nintendo, I think their biggest problem may be an online community. I have a 3DS but can't comment on the Wii U. I think Nintendo missed a big era with the original Wii and now Wii U. Games are more online based than ever and if Nintendo can't build an online community to rival Live or PSN they might be in trouble. People will gravitate to the systems with a larger player base.

If the Nintendo neXt is Backwards compatible all the way back to the Wii, I'll but it at launch.

If the Nintendo neXt is Backwards compatible all the way back to the Wii, I'll but it at launch.

That would be nice but I think due to it, if rumors are true, being x86 based it might hamper potentially backwards compatibility. That didn't stop MS from creating a 360 emulator/backwards compatibility for the Xbox One though so we shall see.

Most people over the age of 20 (i.e. people with actual money) got over Mario years ago. There is no such thing as a compelling Nintendo exclusive.

Most people over the age of 20 (i.e. people with actual money) got over Mario years ago. There is no such thing as a compelling Nintendo exclusive.

If there was a dislike button I would be mashing it right now.

You couldn't be farther from the truth than you are now. That statement is garbage.

I and quite a few other people over the young age of 20 still play Mario games rather frequent. My son, who is 7, I happily raise on Mario and his passion ignites my own.

You are over 20, have a 7 year old, and seem to also have money and happiness.... you are a very rare specimen indeed ;)

If there was a dislike button I would be mashing it right now.

You couldn't be farther from the truth than you are now. That statement is garbage.

I and quite a few other people over the young age of 20 still play Mario games rather frequent. My son, who is 7, I happily raise on Mario and his passion ignites my own.
Mario games these days are made for your son, who is seven. If you get enjoyment out of playing them you've clearly settled.

I think I died once playing mario 3D world. Literally. It was that fucking easy, what a joke.

Wow a lot of hate for Nintendo. I think that there are a TON of people who would still love a decent pokemon game at age 30. But clearly Nintendo has to see that gamers want great games and mature content as well.

I go back to my term "big boy console" Nintendo has to broaden their appeal and that is what I believe they can and will do.

That being said I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo console since the N64.

To clarify and/or backup what silent said, Mario (and really all the nintendo) games haven't changed much. 2d mario is 2d mario. 3d mario is 3d mario. They tried a few new gimmicks here and there, but still the same old stuff, same old types of puzzles, etc. They're all great games, but they're the same games. The only mario title I really want to see is another Mario 64; but instead we get micro-worlds with Galaxies. Portables? I tried to do it, I really did. But they're woefully underpowered compared to almost any smartphone, with tiny screens and archaic resolutions (The 3ds is what, 400x240?).

Zelda? Same story, same dungeons, same tools, some puzzles down to the exact steps required to solve them in some cases. Great games/franchises but marketed/created for the same demographic over and over. I grew up but Nintendo didn't. Nintendo can stay in the niche, but they'll eventually fail if they don't drop out of the home-console hardware market; and for the portable market they need to get with the times.

The NX will be viewed as failure but will be "profitable" for Nintendo. As a third party developer I'd have a very difficult time justifying dev time on the unit unless it was extremely easy.

Same thing can be said about CoD 100 and BF 12. Sorry but not everyone here is a 20 year old pot smoker working at Walmart wanting to play the same rehashed military clone over and over again or trying to find codes to make the prostitutes naked in GTA 21.

Nintendo has never really been about 3rd party support and they'll keep doing what they're doing for better or worse. Their demographics are family friendly games that are fun for everyone.

The Nintendo consoles are the ones that get the most use in my home and have for over 2 decades, even when I was single and we would have game night the Nintendo consoles have always been the console of choice.

The exclusives on Wii-U were "acceptable". It's fairly obviously that the lackluster nature of their exclusives are a result of developer / hardware limitations.

1.) They basically remade games they've already made AND they're the Nth iteration, people are getting COD'd out on an 8th revision of "X" game.

2.) This should've been the console that allowed them to expand on an MMO level on all their games. However their in-house developers just don't
have the experience to accomplish this. Also the tech is extremely limiting and difficult to optimze for. They failed in a big way to make their games
extremely network / multiplayer savvy.

my son has a wii u I got it for him this past oct and he enjoys it but I recently got us both xbox ones and he has all but forgot about the wii u. I'm def not gonna put down anymore money on consoles for the next 3 years atleast. Except maybe a xbox one add on if they do come to be.

my son has a wii u I got it for him this past oct and he enjoys it but I recently got us both xbox ones and he has all but forgot about the wii u. I'm def not gonna put down anymore money on consoles for the next 3 years atleast. Except maybe a xbox one add on if they do come to be.

Yeah, same with mine. I got the Wii U as a 'family console' with the intent him and I would do more gaming together. We played a bit of Mario Kart, but once he get his Xbone, he's more or less forgotten about the Wii U.

Reactions: bL33d
like this
My take,
So this IS....A controller for the NX. It will also run the console games at lower res.
The actual console will be separate and run at full spec with another yet to be revealed controller.
Whether the NX will come bundled with this or a non-visual controller will be seen.

I suspect that it will come with a "dumb" controller and that this is an accessory that plays full games at lower res.

I'm hoping there will be some 'grip'-style accessories that will allow physical buttons and whatnot to that controller. It's quite a bit smaller than the Gamepad, so I don't think a grip attachment would make it too unwieldy.

My take,
So this IS....A controller for the NX. It will also run the console games at lower res.
The actual console will be separate and run at full spec with another yet to be revealed controller.
Whether the NX will come bundled with this or a non-visual controller will be seen.

I suspect that it will come with a "dumb" controller and that this is an accessory that plays full games at lower res.
I bet you're right. This is only one of many input methods available. Nintendo has had a habit of doing things like this since they made the gameboy as controller attachments for previous generations. There also happens to be a Wii U controller conspicuously shown right next to it in that pic. They were probably testing it also.

Maybe this is the new portable? The 3DS can be a controller for the Wii. All the DS series have been heavy on the touchscreen features.

I just cannot believe that Nintendo would make this the ONLY controller for the NX.
What if you NEVER want ANY portable gaming? You just want a regular comfortable controller?

Plus the cost. A console of XB1/PS4 power will cost around $399, a portable like this may be $299. I cannot believe it will be bundled as the only option with the NX.

Lol NeoGaf are collectively losing their minds over the trees in the reflection.

I love leaks!!!

Lol NeoGaf are collectively losing their minds over the trees in the reflection.

I love leaks!!!

Yeah, they're freaks. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is able to track down the same trees and pinpoint the source.

Looking at the controller and it's weird shape, the more I'm convinced it will notch into peripherals/docking unit. And if it is the '3DS' portion of the NX, with the ability to do its own processing and playing games, that'd be pretty cool. Imagine players being able to undock their NX, bring it to their friends NX docking station and being able to resume or at least interact with their friends NX. Even cooler if the docking station allows multiple NX mobile components to connect to it at once, allowing local online play, to a single HDTV. Just, for the love of humanity, I hope Nintendo releases different styled grips for this thing. SNES-based, N64-based, Gamecube-based - just something to move it away from being an oval touchscreen with two circle pads on it.

Hoping we get to hear something official from Nintendo soon.

Yeah, they're freaks. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is able to track down the same trees and pinpoint the source.

Looking at the controller and it's weird shape, the more I'm convinced it will notch into peripherals/docking unit. And if it is the '3DS' portion of the NX, with the ability to do its own processing and playing games, that'd be pretty cool. Imagine players being able to undock their NX, bring it to their friends NX docking station and being able to resume or at least interact with their friends NX. Even cooler if the docking station allows multiple NX mobile components to connect to it at once, allowing local online play, to a single HDTV. Just, for the love of humanity, I hope Nintendo releases different styled grips for this thing. SNES-based, N64-based, Gamecube-based - just something to move it away from being an oval touchscreen with two circle pads on it.

Hoping we get to hear something official from Nintendo soon.

My only remaining question is Will this controller BE the console, or be as powerful as the console?

I have already said my guess but who knows. I doubt an ARM based unit can match a full APU Implementation.

I just figured it out.....and Nintendo is actually being very smart. VERY smart.
Let's say you want the NX and a plain controller. Fine.
Let's say you want the NX but mainly like portable gaming. Fine.
Let's say you want to hook the controller to the TV without the NX console ....will that work at 720p?
You will be able to ONLY buy the controller and play the exact same NX games without the console. Brilliant.
I think Nintendo is executing a master stroke of genius....

It has been a long time since Nintendo did something I didn't ultimately like in terms of form factor and ergonomics. With the original Wii, I thought they were finished when I saw the awkward controller. Turned out to be very comfortable and best the best first person shooter controller with Metroid Prime 3 as proof of concept. I'm on board with whatever they do.

It has been a long time since Nintendo did something I didn't ultimately like in terms of form factor and ergonomics. With the original Wii, I thought they were finished when I saw the awkward controller. Turned out to be very comfortable and best the best first person shooter controller with Metroid Prime 3 as proof of concept. I'm on board with whatever they do.

I really hated the concept of Wii and wiiu but I kind of like this idea. If it is what I think it is I may be on board and I haven't had a Nintendo console since the n64

Nah. The NX will find itself in the same spot as the Wii U. Nintendo is stuck in the past. Its online services are archaic still. On top of that it still suffers from third party support issues. You can not exist without third party support. Its just not doable.

Unless Nintendo wants to try VR its going to be great for Nintendo only stuff but nothing else. You won't attract a huge audience away from there Xbox or PS4. Plus the recent controller image leaks are just ugh. I do not want to a controller that is in reality shaped exactly like Stewie's head.

Nah. The NX will find itself in the same spot as the Wii U. Nintendo is stuck in the past. Its online services are archaic still. On top of that it still suffers from third party support issues. You can not exist without third party support. Its just not doable.

Unless Nintendo wants to try VR its going to be great for Nintendo only stuff but nothing else. You won't attract a huge audience away from there Xbox or PS4. Plus the recent controller image leaks are just ugh. I do not want to a controller that is in reality shaped exactly like Stewie's head.

Really? What if it was EXACTLY like stewies head?

Back