Nintendo NX will crush XB1 and mame PS4

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
Recent NX leaks are compelling.
Big N is going to (somehow) get this thing on the market by Christmas.

As usual for Nintendo they are not just going to release a console but they are claiming this weird handheld component that I really can't envision.

But here is why I think they will crush. The only reason to choose an XB1 vs a PS4 (or vice versa) is for exclusives. You want Uncharted? go for PS4 you want Halo go for XB1 other than that everything will come out on all platforms and thanks to our new friend CONSOLE PARITY they will all look and play the same.

Nintendo has a massive and compelling exclusives. If they can play on the same level as PS4 and XB1 AND create Nintendo originals as well there is then no reason to not get a NX.

THen there is the handheld part. What is it? Will it replace or augment the 3DS line?

If you can take ANY game with you and have the same gaming experience then there is alot to brag about.

While VR is still in the agony of Childbirth Nintendo may get an edge for once. Hope they can compete. ...

For the past few generations (console, not hand held, which they own!), Nintendo has only been good for their first party games. The hardware has been lackluster. It works, and it does well, but it's weak in comparison to the competition. The games though? That's the reason to buy a Nintendo system.

XB1 & PS4 has great developers creating a plethora of games for any type of player. Nintendo, not so much. They used to (NES, SNES, N64 days). Just not anymore.

Handheld part? Not interested. I want a nice console without a gimmicky controller. Not bashing on Wii or Wii U controllers, as they work great. I just want a normal controller and have the console and games as the main selling point.

As usual for Nintendo they are not just going to release a console but they are claiming this weird handheld component that I really can't envision.

But here is why I think they will crush. The only reason to choose an XB1 vs a PS4 (or vice versa) is for exclusives. You want Uncharted? go for PS4 you want Halo go for XB1 other than that everything will come out on all platforms and thanks to our new friend CONSOLE PARITY they will all look and play the same.

Nintendo has a massive and compelling exclusives. If they can play on the same level as PS4 and XB1 AND create Nintendo originals as well there is then no reason to not get a NX.

THen there is the handheld part. What is it? Will it replace or augment the 3DS line?

If you can take ANY game with you and have the same gaming experience then there is alot to brag about.

While VR is still in the agony of Childbirth Nintendo may get an edge for once. Hope they can compete. ...

As a wii-u owner, i'd say their exclusives were meh.. meh... meh... and a bit more meh.

DS/3ds titles were superior(and cheaper) almost across the board IMHO.

As a wii-u owner, i'd say their exclusives were meh.. meh... meh... and a bit more meh.

DS/3ds titles were superior(and cheaper) almost across the board IMHO.

Spot on. I own a 3DS and a DS, and skipped the Wii U (terrible fuckin name), and regret my Wii purchase.

Nintendo does handheld well, but traditional consoles? Not so well.

Their track record of late in that regard has been less than compelling.

I don't ever count Nintendo out, although there are quite a few skeptics on these boards. Or people who apparently just don't like Nintendo based products/IPs.

My issue with their 'next gen' console is that really it's coming in 2 years after their competitors. If it's 2 years late to entry it had better be faster than the XB1 and the PS4. Regardless, I'm uncertain whether or not the creation of faster hardware will compel either game developers or people looking for a console to purchase a system. Every console generation is becoming more risky. Nintendo needs to have an interesting proposition as well as the titles at launch to back it up.

I believe Nintendo is learning from its mistakes. But if they launch another console and its a paper launch, everything they've been trying to fix/rebuild is going to be for naught. They also need to leverage their online capabilities, online store, and backwards compatibility out the gate. If the NX isn't Wii/Wii U backwards compatible there are going to be a lot more growing pains that could otherwise be avoided.

Do I really want to buy yet another new system just to achieve parity with the other two? Those two that have thus far been disappointing at best.
I think I'm ready to sit this one out and I don't know if a new Mario Kart or Smash can change that.
Plus, I'm kinda over the idea of a handheld. Phones are plenty big and powerful now. I don't need another portable device and I don't care if it can play the same stuff I have at home. The Vita could do a good enough job of that and I barely touched it once the novelty wore off.
More than any of this, I'd rather not buy any more consoles. Give me Nintendo games on one of the other systems and save me the $400 for "similar" hardware.

Do I really want to buy yet another new system just to achieve parity with the other two? Those two that have thus far been disappointing at best.
I think I'm ready to sit this one out and I don't know if a new Mario Kart or Smash can change that.
Plus, I'm kinda over the idea of a handheld. Phones are plenty big and powerful now. I don't need another portable device and I don't care if it can play the same stuff I have at home. The Vita could do a good enough job of that and I barely touched it once the novelty wore off.
More than any of this, I'd rather not buy any more consoles. Give me Nintendo games on one of the other systems and save me the $400 for "similar" hardware.

If Nintendo can make the portable hardware piece compelling then they can capitalize on the success of the 3DS and that might lift up the console sales as well.
Wii U is not attracting people away from PS4 XB1 and it should, hopefully the NX will do that.

I have a PS4 but a NX in addition is not out of the question. But when it launches everyone is going to be talking VR. Will anyone care about a console? I think even Sony and M$ are smelling that wind of change.

I'm looking forward to the NX, at least hearing more information about it. The rumours that are going around do it make sound like a compelling product, and a hybrid standalone/portable console is probably the type of console today's mobile-centric consumer needs.

I'm just hoping it rocks a clamshell design, those rumors that peg it more as a 2DS design has me a little concerned (I don't want to knick up my screens).

With Nintendo sliding back to the days of the early '90s in censoring games for content they deem not appropriate for families, I think I'll forego purchasing anything from Nintendo now and into the foreseeable future. The recent controversies with their North American localization team Treehouse was the final nail in the proverbial coffin for me.

This entire argument is based on the assumption that all the major studios are going to flock back to Nintendo on good-will alone after spending most of the Wii U's life slowly acting as if the Wii U doesn't exist and thus abandoning it altogether. Your argument is rooted in nothing but fanboyism at its worst. Don't get me wrong, i like Nintendo but they need to just stick to handhelds.

This entire argument is based on the assumption that all the major studios are going to flock back to Nintendo on good-will alone after spending most of the Wii U's life slowly acting as if the Wii U doesn't exist and thus abandoning it altogether. Your argument is rooted in nothing but fanboyism at its worst. Don't get me wrong, i like Nintendo but they need to just stick to handhelds.

Actually I am in no way a Nintendo fanboi. Don't own any Nintendo stuff. I really think that given the same power and a nice handheld tie in they can become relevant and possibly dominate.

Actually I am in no way a Nintendo fanboi. Don't own any Nintendo stuff. I really think that given the same power and a nice handheld tie in they can become relevant and possibly dominate.

Here is the problem with that thought. If they perform the same as an XB1 and PS4, then what is the point of getting it? If someone already had an XB1 or PS4, you aren't really giving them any compelling reason. At least when the XB1 and PS4 came out, which was basically at the same time, they were giving betters specs than really anything out at the time along with their exclusives. Nintendo now is competing with systems that have been out for a few years and is not really bringing anything new in terms of performance to the table. I just don't see how they can expect to dominate anything.

At least with the Wii they had some initial innovation and gimmicky inclusion, but since then its been played out. The Wii U was nowhere near as successful as the Wii and I don't see another gimmicky handheld exciting anyone.

If Nintendo lacks third-party support for the big AAA releases, it will be dead in the water just like the Wii U is now. Exclusives don't sell consoles, third-party multiplats like COD, Destiny, Madden, Fifa, do.

I actually liked the Wii U, I thought the handheld controller was a great idea. There were a few titles that executed with it well, but it didn't lend itself to cross-platform really well. If the Wii U had been capable of reliably providing 1080 when it released, it probably would have gained more traction has a "hard core" gamer device, and saw more cross-platform titles that just a few at the launch. (like Arkham Asylum, Asassins Creed, etc). The battery life of the handheld is really the only gripe I have with the console - it has full backwards compatibility with the Wii (software and peripherals)

Wii U also severely suffered from lack of titles when it first came out. We got one for our 6 year old when it released for Christmas, but it took a long time for there to really be any titles for it. Nintendo I think had hoped more 3rd party titles will come over early on, but they didn't think that people wouldn't flock out to buy a new console with just "the same" level of hardware capability when they could run the those same 3rd party titles on their existing 360/PS3, with the same level of performance. They really needed more exclusives and lean on the weight of their 1st party titles early on (like Mario Kart 8, which took 6 months to release, and SSB, which took almost a year), and they failed to execute that.

I think those two reasons are what kept it from really competing against the PS4/XB1. It really just barely came up to match the level of the 360/PS3, at the end of their lifecycle.

I would be happy with the NX if it were basically the same concept as the Wii U's controller, only not restricted by a proprietary and finicky 5Ghz WiFi signal

Lol, this claim is hilarious. Nintendo doesn't even matter anymore, their outdated bullshit policies have gotten rid of any serious gamers.

I thought something note worthy was revealed, but OP didn't even post a link to an article or anything.
Back to ignoring NOA...
Having to wait this long for the Normal-Human-Sized New 3DS without a shitty pack-in, just put a bad taste in my mouth. Don't even care to get one anymore.
At this point, until they get their account system like everyone else with a real network and not tied to a device AND kill region lock in the process, I'm not buying anymore hardware from them.
NX needs to be all of the above and then some for me to care. And if they get rid of 3D, someone needs to be fired.

Here is the problem with that thought. If they perform the same as an XB1 and PS4, then what is the point of getting it? If someone already had an XB1 or PS4, you aren't really giving them any compelling reason. At least when the XB1 and PS4 came out, which was basically at the same time, they were giving betters specs than really anything out at the time along with their exclusives. Nintendo now is competing with systems that have been out for a few years and is not really bringing anything new in terms of performance to the table. I just don't see how they can expect to dominate anything.

At least with the Wii they had some initial innovation and gimmicky inclusion, but since then its been played out. The Wii U was nowhere near as successful as the Wii and I don't see another gimmicky handheld exciting anyone.

Your argument is flawed b/c all you are addressing is performance. Nintendo's selling point is their first-party titles. Even if the new Nintendo console was as powerful as the PS4, it would still be fine b/c again the main selling point is their first-party titles. The main thing a new ps4-level Nintendo console would benefit from is that developers would come back to it b/c there is more horsepower to work with rather than the under-powered Wii U. Also, Nintendo made the mistake of sticking with a Power PC architecture instead of switching to x86 like the Xbox and PS4 did. Another big flaw and short-coming of Nintendo's was that their online system was completely fucked. Store was slow, and adding friends was just a cluster-fuck.

I have no doubt that the new Nintendo console will be at least as powerful as the PS4, and honestly I would love to own a Nintendo console that was as powerful as the Xbox or PS4, 3rd-party develoeprs came back to Nintendo b/c of it, and had Nintendo's titles behind it... that would be a instant win. Horsepower, 3rd party support, and Nintendo 1st party support would be a awesome system to own.

Your argument is flawed b/c all you are addressing is performance. Nintendo's selling point is their first-party titles. Even if the new Nintendo console was as powerful as the PS4, it would still be fine b/c again the main selling point is their first-party titles. The main thing a new ps4-level Nintendo console would benefit from is that developers would come back to it b/c there is more horsepower to work with rather than the under-powered Wii U. Also, Nintendo made the mistake of sticking with a Power PC architecture instead of switching to x86 like the Xbox and PS4 did. Another big flaw and short-coming of Nintendo's was that their online system was completely fucked. Store was slow, and adding friends was just a cluster-fuck.

I have no doubt that the new Nintendo console will be at least as powerful as the PS4, and honestly I would love to own a Nintendo console that was as powerful as the Xbox or PS4, 3rd-party develoeprs came back to Nintendo b/c of it, and had Nintendo's titles behind it... that would be a instant win. Horsepower, 3rd party support, and Nintendo 1st party support would be a awesome system to own.

You are incorrect sir. A huge selling point of any video game system is performance. The Wii U failed because its performance was awful compared to its competitors. Most people out there looking for systems now aren't looking primarily at exclusives, they are looking at what system is going to be the best first and have the most games second. Most people are more interested in how well they can play the AAA titles and play online with their friends. That was the biggest argument between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 as well as the PS4 vs the XB1. Nintendo only briefly made a dent in the market with the Wii because it was pretty innovative with its controller. But as time went on, that got played out and people were disenfranchised with the performance of the Wii and the fact that it couldn't handle the AAA games like XB and PS.

Also you are trying to say developers will come back to Nintendo because it has more power? Why? They are late by a number of years and developers are going to develop for the platforms that sell the most. You are living in a pipe dream right now. It would be great if Nintendo competed again, but they are consistently been behind and aren't doing anything that really sets them apart going forward.

You are incorrect sir. A huge selling point of any video game system is performance. The Wii U failed because its performance was awful compared to its competitors. Most people out there looking for systems now aren't looking primarily at exclusives, they are looking at what system is going to be the best first and have the most games second. Most people are more interested in how well they can play the AAA titles and play online with their friends. That was the biggest argument between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 as well as the PS4 vs the XB1. Nintendo only briefly made a dent in the market with the Wii because it was pretty innovative with its controller. But as time went on, that got played out and people were disenfranchised with the performance of the Wii and the fact that it couldn't handle the AAA games like XB and PS.

Also you are trying to say developers will come back to Nintendo because it has more power? Why? They are late by a number of years and developers are going to develop for the platforms that sell the most. You are living in a pipe dream right now. It would be great if Nintendo competed again, but they are consistently been behind and aren't doing anything that really sets them apart going forward.

And what exactly was I incorrect about? You and I are saying the same thing but in different ways. See what I said earlier to OP.

My point was that developers got away from the Wii U b/c it was a underpowered Power PC architecture when the xbox and ps4 were moving onto x86. My contention was that if they upped the performance to PS4/Xbox One levels, and switched to x86 at least then they would have a chance that the developers that abandoned them would come back. Not saying power isn't important, but the Wii was a great example that power isn't everything.

As far as online goes, that's something I mentioned earlier too saying that Nintendo's way of adding friends, playing with friends, and their online store has always kind of been a mess and they need to put more emphasis onto the online aspects of their consoles which is far behind anything else.

I still want Nintendo to be Nintendo, but more than anything I want a powerful Nintendo Console that I can play today's AAA titles on just like the Xbox and Playstation and be able to play the latest Marios and Zeldas. That'd be amazing.

Nintendo has a strange track record with the success of their consoles. It seems like every other console from Nintendo is successful. N64 successful, Gamecube not so much, Wii was successful, Wii U not so much. Hopefully, this means the next Nintendo console will be a success.

Performance and timing matter. I fully believe the PS4 has the lead over here in the US strictly because of performance. People saw the numbers and it was simply better, with a similar release window. Unless someone gets a head start (a la the Genesis and Xbox 360), people tend to flock to the powerhouse. Even the N64 was at least sold as being 64-bit (aka. better).
I don't know about this "just as good" stuff several years after the fact.
It's all just speculation, but I think this system is going to need a lot of things to happen to succeed. Anything can happen, just look at the current political climate, but I just don't see it happening.

While I'm sure performance did play a role in the PS4 dominance, I think their lead was more a result of a stellar console unveiling and MS' own terrible console unveiling with its mixed messaging.

Performance and timing matter. I fully believe the PS4 has the lead over here in the US strictly because of performance. People saw the numbers and it was simply better, with a similar release window. Unless someone gets a head start (a la the Genesis and Xbox 360), people tend to flock to the powerhouse. Even the N64 was at least sold as being 64-bit (aka. better).
I don't know about this "just as good" stuff several years after the fact.
It's all just speculation, but I think this system is going to need a lot of things to happen to succeed. Anything can happen, just look at the current political climate, but I just don't see it happening.

Don't be so dense. The Xbox One with its shitty price, kinect obligation, DRM nonsense was what turned people off. If it came out at $400 without kinect, and without the drm the race would be tighter than it is. PS4 may be more powerful but marginally so. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter. It's all about the games. I have both personally, and I play my Xbox a lot more entirely because all my friends have Xboxes.

Don't be so dense. The Xbox One with its shitty price, kinect obligation, DRM nonsense was what turned people off. If it came out at $400 without kinect, and without the drm the race would be tighter than it is. PS4 may be more powerful but marginally so. And quite frankly, it doesn't matter. It's all about the games. I have both personally, and I play my Xbox a lot more entirely because all my friends have Xboxes.

This. The fiasco of the Xbox One reveal was brutal, brutal. "TV,TV, DRM, DRM". It surely didn't help that Sony did almost everything right with this console compared to the Xbox One as well. Like I said if Nin doesn't get third party support it will be DOA in the West just like the WiiU.

This. The fiasco of the Xbox One reveal was brutal, brutal. "TV,TV, DRM, DRM". It surely didn't help that Sony did almost everything right with this console compared to the Xbox One as well. Like I said if Nin doesn't get third party support it will be DOA in the West just like the WiiU.

Why wouldn't NX get third party support? It will be so damn easy to port x86 games from anywhere to the NX it will be like leaving money on the table and noone will do that.
I would be willing to bet that most people chose either the PS4 OR the XB1, not both. But many will pick up a NX despite owning a PS4 or XB for the big N exclusives.
Of course Nintendo can blow it. but this is the first time that I have heard Nintendo sound consolatory. They want to compete with "normal" consoles. and I believe that if they make the NX appealing to mainstream gamers they will gladly hop on.

Nintendo is making a "big boy" console, and I think they could hit a home run with it.

As much as I like Nintendo for Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash Bros I don't think they do all that well with your average American Xbox buyer who wants their Call of Duty/Halo/Gears and Sports games, none of which were on Wii U. And to top it off Wii U had terrible online compared to Xbox live. If they can make a x86 console that can get all the multi plats they may have a winner with the America console buyers.

NX will likely be my first current gen console purchase because of Nintendo Exclusives for everything else there is PC.

I would buy a new Nintendo console in a heartbeat if there was dedicated third party support along with Nintendo's first party games. The only issue then would be which platform to buy the third party games on, and quite frankly so many people have PS4s and Xbox Ones that the only way Nintendo could entice people to buy third party titles on their console is if the new Nintendo Console was more powerful than the PS4 or Xbox One. If the games look better on the "NX" then i'll buy it on there otherwise there's no point.

That's the way I deal with that debacle since I have a Xbox One and PS4. If one game looks/performs better on one console than the other (unless it's a multiplayer game) then I buy it for that console.

If Nintendo lacks third-party support for the big AAA releases, it will be dead in the water just like the Wii U is now. Exclusives don't sell consoles, third-party multiplats like COD, Destiny, Madden, Fifa, do.

Actually exclusives sell consoles. But you also need 3rd party support.

I would buy a new Nintendo console in a heartbeat if there was dedicated third party support along with Nintendo's first party games. The only issue then would be which platform to buy the third party games on, and quite frankly so many people have PS4s and Xbox Ones that the only way Nintendo could entice people to buy third party titles on their console is if the new Nintendo Console was more powerful than the PS4 or Xbox One. If the games look better on the "NX" then i'll buy it on there otherwise there's no point.

So yeah, Nintendo has to do something to make their online capabilities more attractive to twitch gamers. True, but they really have to do that to survive anyway. It should be easier to do that these days and really, they don't have to do too much to be better or equal to PSN.

I think the controller aspect is going to be the thing that they can win on. If the controller is innovative without being intrusive then that could be a incentive to sign up to the Nintendo eco-sphere.

The important thing here we can't forget is that we need competition. God help us if Microsoft were the only game in town. or even if Sony was. they would sit back and flip everyone off because they could.

I really liked the WiiU as well.

Problems that killed it:

Under powered.
It's not that console people by power really.
It's that major published can't port back to it easily because it doesn't have the same capabilities as the other consoles. Even if you do a port it's going to look pretty good on two systems, and like crap on the WiiU. So why do it? It takes longer, looks worse and has a lower install base, and a manufacturer that still has a rep for being difficult.

Really bad marketing.
Nobody knows it exists. The world thinks it is an addon or a handheld or a tablet for the Wii, which the played bowling on then put in the closet. So why buy it?
Very little advertising. Very little shelf space in non-gaming stores. Invisible to the bigger population for the most part.

Crappy online friend/multiplayer system. still.

Why I love it.

Really really good software. Some of the best games ever are on the WiiU now. But only 13M people have the system. There are some games hitting over 66% attach! Mario Kart, Mario World (or whatever), Splatoon.

Interesting online presence. The almost monthly Nintendo live events are really unique and interesting. The social sharing built into the console are interesting, but not totally fleshed out.

I hope they nail it with the next console. They make some really amazing stuff and in some areas are innovating in ways that MS and Sony just aren't.

I really liked the WiiU as well.

Problems that killed it:

Under powered.
It's not that console people by power really.
It's that major published can't port back to it easily because it doesn't have the same capabilities as the other consoles. Even if you do a port it's going to look pretty good on two systems, and like crap on the WiiU. So why do it? It takes longer, looks worse and has a lower install base, and a manufacturer that still has a rep for being difficult.

Really bad marketing.
Nobody knows it exists. The world thinks it is an addon or a handheld or a tablet for the Wii, which the played bowling on then put in the closet. So why buy it?
Very little advertising. Very little shelf space in non-gaming stores. Invisible to the bigger population for the most part.

Crappy online friend/multiplayer system. still.

Why I love it.

Really really good software. Some of the best games ever are on the WiiU now. But only 13M people have the system. There are some games hitting over 66% attach! Mario Kart, Mario World (or whatever), Splatoon.

Interesting online presence. The almost monthly Nintendo live events are really unique and interesting. The social sharing built into the console are interesting, but not totally fleshed out.

I hope they nail it with the next console. They make some really amazing stuff and in some areas are innovating in ways that MS and Sony just aren't.

I think an easy to overlook aspect of console success is the controller. When I think back to the consoles I like or hated I can't help but remember them for their controllers.
Who can forget the awesome Gamecube controller or the terrible Jaguar controller. The Wii controller just made me want to kill someone.
Some like the Dual Shock some hate it, but the WiiU controller is just well, awful.

I worry that the NX will try to fuck up the controller with some stupid innovation and that will be the end of that.

Or, worst case scenario, they don't dominate the industry but we get Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Pikmin, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, ect on a system as powerful as the XBOX One. TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO. TAKE IT! :)

I can live without third party support. The problem with third party support is that they are getting into the game late so it really depends on how much life XBOX One and PS4 have in it. But XBOX One was released in November of 2013. So Nintendo is like two years behind the competition. BUT, if XBOX one and PS4 have say a six year life span, Nintendo's NX would be technologically equal to its competitors for like three or four years? So they would have a parade of first party exclusives, plus decent third party support.

There is really no point for making a better console than XBOX One, because developers will not exploit it. But a reasonably priced console with the first party support and third party support that is somewhat equal to its competitors would make a compelling device.

They can't hope to compete with what Sony and Microsoft have next in the pipe--they probably don't even have the skill set to develop first party games to exploit that hardware. But they can perhaps broaden their appeal for the remainder of this generation.

I wonder what their angle will be.

Last edited:
Or, worst case scenario, they don't dominate the industry but we get Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Pikmin, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, ect on a system as powerful as the XBOX One. TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO. TAKE IT! :)

There is really no point for making a better console than XBOX One, because developers will not exploit it. But a reasonably priced console with the first party support and third party support that is somewhat equal to its competitors would make a compelling device.

They can't hope to compete with what Sony and Microsoft have next in the pipe--they probably don't even have the skill set to develop first party games to exploit that hardware. But they can perhaps broaden their appeal for the remainder of this generation.

I wonder what their angle will be.

Wow, the part in red above says it all about the sucky ass generation we are in. So true my friend, so true.....

I also think they have a chance to make a new impression because, frankly, the Wii U has not been rejected, it has gone unnoticed. I don't believe the gaming public even knows what a Wii U even is or that it exists. When you have third party support, the third parties tend to do some of the hardware marketing for you. Not having those games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto really means the gaming public is not even cognizant of Wii U. NX could change that.

But Microsoft and Sony will not sit quietly. They will try and spoil the party with their own hardware expansion or peripheral to get ahead again, and quickly. It could be VR or whatever. Hopefully Nintendo's control scheme and portable concept is compelling. They do need a hardware gimmick.

I think the idea that it will move more units than the established consoles, if it doesn't have any clear advantages over them, is highly unlikely.

That said, if the games are there I will probably buy one.

Back