Nintendo: Microsoft, Sony Need to React To Us

Except they dropped support for the wavebird controller..the only thing that made wii games playable. Sorry, the WiiU isn't a significant improvement. It gets the graphics the wii should of had in the first place and is effectively a huge step backwards in every other area.

Get a Wii U pro controller. They have built in rechargeable batters that charge via USB and last 80 hours. Problem solved. They are also already more supported than the wave bird controller was.

Wii U is basically the same thing, as using your PSP with your TV...

Nintendo wants Sony to respond to that??? They've already made the same thing pretty much except the PSP is Connected to the TV, not the console. Wii-U is a gimmick that Nintendo bet the whole company on...

All Sony and Microsoft has to do is ignore it, it will go away. It has basically NOTHING that that either company would want to carry on with. GG Nintendo, your a bit late to the party. You can't act like the little kid in the corner screaming to be seen, no-one cares.

Not even close. The Vita isn't nearly the same as the Wii U. It users both screens which interact in ways that you wouldn't even think would happen. Also, its a lot more powerful than. The PSP ever was.

Hey, hate on Nintendo all you want, but Nintendo isn't the one with their credit in the toilet.

Isn't the rumored "Kinect 2" or "integrated Kinect" or "tablet controller" for the next Xbox console a reaction to the Wii U?

I don't know why anyone would question Nintendo's console prowess.

They basically put out gamecube twice, and the second time gave it a unique user interaction and dominated the console market.

They proved with Wii that it doesn't matter to consumers if you have the best hardware.

I only wish sega was still making consoles, I always enjoyed that rivalry.

I don't know why anyone would question Nintendo's console prowess.

They basically put out gamecube twice, and the second time gave it a unique user interaction and dominated the console market.

They proved with Wii that it doesn't matter to consumers if you have the best hardware.

I only wish sega was still making consoles, I always enjoyed that rivalry.

I miss Sega, too. The Genesis and Dreamcast were awesome consoles.

You guys are all very funny. As of september, 2012, both PS3 and Xbox 360 have sold around 70 million each... whereas Wii has sold almost 100 million on its own. So, Wii has sol around 45% more consoles than both alternatives... yet you insist in your comments.

Nintendo won the last war, and by a good margin. This round, Nintendo is closing the gap: first, they are keeping the things that made Wii a success... and are bringing a normal pad so that developers can focus on normal games if they want to.

Also, Wii U has arrived much earlier than the competition... and provided they do enough marketing Sony and MS better get there act together and launch their new consoles or they'll be dragged...

Except Wii's brand value is less than both.

Nintendo just merely asking... Is your body ready?

BodyRock.jpg

i never bought a wii. and i was always sad when a zelda game came out and i couldnt play

but honestly the 480 thing was hard to swallow.

At the time, that was all my TV could do, so 480 was ok :)

Besides, the kids (younger) don't really care that much about 480p/720p/etc, and when it comes to party games, it doesn't really matter that much either.

I'm willing to bet you haven't used a Wii u. At all.

The Wii u already has a very well developed online service that updates and works in the background without requiring any effort. ZombiU, for example, updates information like messages from the developers and markers from other players all on the back end. No downloading or notification of it happening at all. The miiverse is also a surprisingly well developed social network ( if lacking in a few areas) that allows for drawings and game screenshots. The Wii U even lets you make video calls to other Wii U users. The Wii could barely go online by comparison.

So how is it a step backwards?

Except I don't care about "social networking" on my gaming console, I wouldn't want to restrict my video calls only people with WiiU's and don't want them downloading updates in the background (let me decide when I need them)

it doesn't really matter that much either.

Doesn't matter?! Blasphemy!

I agree that back then, the 480p vs. 720/1080 was less important, but it sure got relevant really quick and Nintendo was left behind in that department. But, the Wii was never really targeted for the hardcore, graphics obsessed gamer. It was meant for families and kids (as much as Nintendo is trying to shake that and cater to all users). They really don't care, as long as they can buy a low cost, fun gaming system that they can all pick up and use. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I want a Wii U for just that. Grab a controller, fire up the TV and play some Mario.... or a newer version of F-Zero or Mario Kart (fuck yea).

Why do so many people say that Nintendo is "catching up" with graphical capability? The Radeon 4xxx in the WiiU is light years better than the NV7xxx and ATI X19xx in the PS3 and XB360. If you play a current gen game on your PC, does that mean it's only "caught up" to consoles? There's plenty of headroom graphically speaking for the WiiU to come.

For the Dreamcast enthusiasts, this should give you a laugh:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=486
Also, Segagaga. Best idea Sega ever had.

rflol.. good ol sega.. i remember hearing rumors of E3 rivalry where sega or nintendo took the other rubber ballon mascot and threw it in a pool "drowning" it.. Seem like there was other funny incidents at e3 too, but cant remember any others.

he sounds a little arrogant but not gonna lie hes right.

theres just not enough people willing to pay 600$ for a PS4 and the graphical leap isnt gonna be huge any more like it used to be.

remember xbox to xbox 360? that was a good leap. i doubt it will be like that ever again.
What makes you think that? Current consoles are using very old technology. Fire up BF3 maxxed out on PC and that should probably be a good example of what next gen console launch games will produce... no they won't have the hardware comparatively to a rig capable of that, but it's a little trick called optimization.

Wii products are gimmicks. Wii U launch has been a disaster. Rushed product cause they know the inferiority to the MS and Sony counterparts due next year.

Why do so many people say that Nintendo is "catching up" with graphical capability? The Radeon 4xxx in the WiiU is light years better than the NV7xxx and ATI X19xx in the PS3 and XB360. If you play a current gen game on your PC, does that mean it's only "caught up" to consoles? There's plenty of headroom graphically speaking for the WiiU to come.

because being not much better is not as great as significant better. Its currently estimated at being 1.5x to 2x better vs 6 - 10x bettter the ps4 and 720 could be. In other words, yes there could be a difference in the games but not as much as it will be when the other next gen arrives.

The Wii U CPU uses IBM Power architecture just like the Xbox 360 (and the PS3, although it's a lot more annoying to work with with all the co-processors), the learning and optimization curve in this instance should be minimal at best.

It's not POWER, it's PowerPC, just fyi.
POWER is a separate architecture.

^ Damn no edit button.

I meant PowerPC for the 360 (and part of the PS3 Cell processor).
Yes, the Wii U is using a new POWER CPU, but POWER and PowerPC are not the same.

I think some people are forgetting what made Nintendo great back in the day, and still good to this day. Think about it. They have been there pretty close to the beginning and are still around. I think they know what they are doing.

I remember playing games on my commodore 64 and they were great, I played games on my old Nintendo and they were great. It was game play that was king, not as much as just good graphics. I feel some new games look good, but game play isn't as good as it could be.

Nintendo knows that make it fun, and cheap and parents will buy the console. Sure the of wii and what not didn't have great hardware but it is fun to play (I don't own one, I own a ps3 and xbox/xbox360) but I play wii at a friends and after I scoff at how the graphics arn't that great, the gameplay is pretty good, then I forget about the graphics a bit.

I think Nintendo with this new console which people are saying is only slightly better then xbox 260/ps3 probable doesn't care cause people will buy it cause its cheap(sorta) and gameplay will be king.

I just love how its sold over 400000 units in the first week. Yeah Nintendo is going to flop.... Around in a pool filled with cash.

I just love how its sold over 400000 units in the first week. Yeah Nintendo is going to flop.... Around in a pool filled with cash.

So? Its Christmas time. People will buy ANYTHING even remotely popular without batting an eye simply to get the "latest" thing for a family member. My dumb ass cousin stood in line on Black Friday early in the morning for a TV deal he saw in an ad .. he doesn't need a new TV and the person he's buying it for doesn't really need one either. Sometimes people buy shit for no logical reason other than self satisfaction.

Holiday sales are great and all but they do not reflect the success of a launch , lets see how great those sales numbers are in Feb-March when there still isn't anything that screams "system selling" in terms of games out yet for the Wii-U.

I think the Wii failed to me personally. I dont really like Mario games except the Mario Kart Series. The only other games I care about is Metroid, and Zelda and Super Smash Bros. Other than that the Wii never saw any use. I used the Wii so far in between I actually forget I have one. Probably played a total of 100hrs on my Wii, most of those were spent playing Super Smash Bros Melee with friends. Nintendo Failed Hard with the N64 and Gamecube comparatively to the PS1 and PS2. The PS1 outsold the N64 3 to 1, the PS2 outsold gamecube more than 7 to 1. The Wii is only 30-40% ahead and will probably be 25% ahead by the time this generation ends. For games, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have seen more than 1000 hrs of use each from me since their launch, I have maybe 10 games for the Wii, but more than 5-6 times that for each of the 360 and PS3. To me this generation Nintendo was all about gimick and nothing substantive. The test of how successful a system is to me: how many hours do you care to spend playing games on that said system and Nintendo hasn't had one I really care for in a decade, GBA being the last real one I loved.

So? Its Christmas time. People will buy ANYTHING even remotely popular without batting an eye simply to get the "latest" thing for a family member. My dumb ass cousin stood in line on Black Friday early in the morning for a TV deal he saw in an ad .. he doesn't need a new TV and the person he's buying it for doesn't really need one either. Sometimes people buy shit for no logical reason other than self satisfaction.

Holiday sales are great and all but they do not reflect the success of a launch , lets see how great those sales numbers are in Feb-March when there still isn't anything that screams "system selling" in terms of games out yet for the Wii-U.

Yeah it is close to the holidays. So was the launch for the 360. The Wii U is outselling the 360, Launch for launch. People like your "dumb ass cousin" are going to buy it and will keep doing so. I see no decline in Nintendo anytime soon.

I'm happy with it so far, 3 fun games and plenty of potential.

It would be a shame if this one gets no third party love.

Also: totally posting this from my Wii U.

^ Damn no edit button.

I meant PowerPC for the 360 (and part of the PS3 Cell processor).
Yes, the Wii U is using a new POWER CPU, but POWER and PowerPC are not the same.

It's not POWER, it's PowerPC, just fyi.
POWER is a separate architecture.

True, technically.

It's called Power Architecture, which is now Power ISA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Architecture

Power ISA combines POWER, PowerPC (PPC), and CELL into one.

The Wii and the Gamecube before that are using a variant of the PowerPC 750 processor from IBM-- PowerPC architecture. The 360's CPU contains three PPE (power processing elements) that are hyperthreaded (2 threads per core), therefore 6 threads total. This is CELL architecture. The PS3's CELL CPU contains two PPEs (one disabled) with six SPE (synergistic processing elements), which are essentially pseudo-mathematical co-processors. In total, two threads total from the PPE plus six threads from the SPEs. Again, CELL architecture.

If the Wii U is indeed running off hardware based on Watson (according to IBM last E3 2011), then it's using a POWER7-based processor. That processor uses Power ISA version 2.06. In theory, as I mentioned in another thread, if the Wii U's processor was a bit more beefed up and running at 3.2GHz, it could run Xbox 360 and PS3 games. That is also if the firmware was replaceable as well.

For the next PS4 and Xbox NEXT/Durango console to be backwards compatible, they need the latest POWER processor from IBM with the latest version of Power ISA architecture. It'll have to be at minimum POWER6-based processor, not POWER5 since that is much older and slower. If that happens, the next Microsoft and Sony consoles, in theory again, could run Wii U games and each competitor's games as well if the firmware was replaceable and the GPU remains Radeon-based.

Heck, the Wii U could feasibly run Gamecube games if Nintendo allowed it in the firmware, but I would not be surprised that older Gamecube games will appear in Nintendo's eShop. It is entirely possible for those games to run on the Wii U, and that console allows external hard drives up to 2TB so the storage to store those games is available.

There are two directions that Microsoft and Sony can go:
  1. Double hardware like the first gen PS3-- POWER-based processor with/without dedicated GPU plus AMD-based APU. (Rumors already have placed a Radeon 6000-series based GPU in the next consoles especially the next Xbox. The latest Trinity APUs are using Radeon 7000-series based GPU cores.)
  2. Single hardware like second gen PS3-- single POWER-based processor plus dedicated AMD Radeon-based GPU.
The first is almost always the costliest option. It could probably explain why the most recent rumor is about Microsoft supposedly releasing a set-top entertainment box similar to the Roku or AppleTV. It'd be entirely dedicated to Xbox Live services and media streaming, and probably an in-place connector to Windows 8-based devices-- Win 8 RT, Win 8 Tablet, and Win 8 desktop/laptop computers. Is this where the rumored AMD APU is going to? Is this where a separate and rumored higher-power console (POWER CPU-based) fits in?

We'll probably find out next E3 or a year from now.

Lol, Nintendo thinks the wiiu matters. Riding on the surprise success coattails of the Wii, doesn't make you a market leader in the next gen console race Nintendo.

The real LOL is when people like you think Nintendo doesn't have the knowledge, experience and capability that it takes to own a market. Nintendo created the handheld market and still owns it to this day. They took the console market with ease in the last gen and the Wii U is sold out everywhere.

While I'm not much of a console gamer, I agree with Nintendo when they say that their competition needs to find ways to innovate. It can only mean good things for consumers.

Well, after all is said and done, I will be buying this, enjoying it and will probably play it more than the 720 and PS4 combined.

The real LOL is when people like you think Nintendo doesn't have the knowledge, experience and capability that it takes to own a market. Nintendo created the handheld market and still owns it to this day. They took the console market with ease in the last gen and the Wii U is sold out everywhere.

While I'm not much of a console gamer, I agree with Nintendo when they say that their competition needs to find ways to innovate. It can only mean good things for consumers.

Exactly.

The Wii brought about motion controls which Sony and Microsoft copied themselves. It's rumored now that the next consoles from both companies might have a tablet/touchscreen LCD and/or integrated motion control of some kind now. Why? Nintendo showed what's possible with the Wii U tablet controller. Regardless of the complaints about the controller, the Nintendo Wii U tablet controller does have its praises. The TVii feature is probably the one that impresses me the most-- offer similar functionality to a Logitech Harmony but offer more than a run of the mill universal remote control.

Nintendo has every right to boast and every right to ask Microsoft and Sony to react, not copy them. There needs to be innovation, and those two companies haven't been doing much innovation apart from the Kinect/PS Move since the Wii's introduction and probably further back.

Well, after all is said and done, I will be buying this, enjoying it and will probably play it more than the 720 and PS4 combined.

Yeah, the Wii U is very promising It has a good amount of processing power and RAM, and should hold itself well for now until the next Microsoft and Sony consoles are released. I'll most likely buy one for Christmas in anticipation of the next Zelda game. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword and looking forward to what's possible with the next console now that it has more RAM. More RAM means a larger Hyrule that Link can explore and roam around in, and better higher resolution textures.

Going to get a Wii U possibly when more games come out that are good. Have to see. Going to be another year before Sony and Microsoft releases anything. Maybe over a year.

The Wii U is just catching up to six year old consoles, adding only a peripheral display gimmick. I'm sure it's a fine console; I simply have zero interest in it.

I hope the next generation console is ready for 1080p and 4K TV's, as well as 2560x1600 monitors. The next generation console should easily replace budget PC gaming setups. I want PlanetSide 2 on the PlayStation 4 at my desk or on the couch. Make it happen.

Wait , PS3 supposedly was 1080p oh wait they didn't quite deliver with their upscaled textures and other gimicks to draw people in.

The Wii still outsold everything. So much for technology. When you can't make anything that is already on the PC and make it on a console makes only go so far.

Nintendo understood this better then anyone, guess what they might have done it again with their tablet controller.

Except the manufacturer, IBM, said it WASN'T "just like the others" and said that it was an entirely new CPU based on the power architecture.

Is it backwards compatible with the Wii? Then for the most part it is just like the others. With the exception that the Wii had a CPU that did have Out-of-Order, unlike the 360 and PS3.

Yeah it is close to the holidays. So was the launch for the 360. The Wii U is outselling the 360, Launch for launch. People like your "dumb ass cousin" are going to buy it and will keep doing so. I see no decline in Nintendo anytime soon.

You are missing the point. What is far more telling that pure number of units sold is availability. The Xbox 360 sold sell because there were simply no more 360s left to sell. It took about 4 months after the launch of the 360 for stock to be stable enough to walk in and buy one. Demand was there, supply was not. This was the same case with the Wii.

The Wii U is sitting on shelves at plenty of stores in my area... A new console will always sell a good number at launch, but the demand for the Wii U isn't the same as the 360 and Wii. Both would have sold much more at launch if there was stock.

Sure the Wii may have outsold Nintendo/Sony, but how many of those who paid for the console.. actually used it a few months after it?

With the Wii's line-up of games, most were shovelware.. How many of your friends if you weren't hanging out with them, would be like "AWWW MAN! Im playing "X"! ITS SO AWESOME! I can't put it down!"

I can't say I have any of those.. and I have a lot of family members who stupidly bought a wii... great dust magnet tho, I gotta give it that. My own cousin included, who bought a Wii, used it for a month and it sat there. 5 months later, bought a PS3 and sold the Wii. Wii may have sold a lot but the bulk of those who bought it didn't buy any games for it or used it enough.

Nintendo take my rupees and give me a WiiU!!
I don't own a console and I think the WiiU would be nice if I could play zelda Ocarina of Time Marjoras Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward sword and twilight princess on it. Which I am not sure if I can but that is why I am posting.

Yeah, the Wii U is very promising It has a good amount of processing power and RAM, and should hold itself well for now until the next Microsoft and Sony consoles are released. I'll most likely buy one for Christmas in anticipation of the next Zelda game. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword and looking forward to what's possible with the next console now that it has more RAM. More RAM means a larger Hyrule that Link can explore and roam around in, and better higher resolution textures.

More RAM and high end video means nothing when the CPU powering it just can't handle it. From all accounts the Wii U has a very underpowered CPU. This means you get more "party" games with no innovation. Want good AI and physics? That's all CPU and if it's considered underpowered now, it'll be useless in a year.

You contradict yourself between the two paragraphs....

X-box glass *IS* Microsoft reacting to Wii-U. Just as Kinect was Microsoft reacting to Wii.

You beat me to it. So far MS has basically made a better Wii with the Kinect and a better Wii U with Xbox Glass. Do they REALLY want MS to react? It's only making things worse for them.

I remember when I bought a Wii when they first came out... What a piece of shit. Never had any games of interest. Zelda and a few other games. But none worth keeping it for.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Nintendo should stop worrying about the next gimmicky feature, and focus on getting good games for its systems. At some point, the buttons and touchscreen interfaces become much less important than the game.

Lol, only good Nintendo console games are the ones that Nintendo puts out. Outside of that, the rest stuck. Sorry, but Nintendo games aren't good enough for me to bother with their console. Got screwed with the Gamecube. Got screwed again with the Wii. Not even gonna bother with the Wii U.

Good with my PC, PS3, Xbox 360, PSP, and PS Vita.

Back