Nintendo Isn't Worried about the Dead Pixels on Your Switch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is actually a pretty silly story—I mean, Nintendo fans are smart enough to realize that they can just do a store exchange if there is something they don’t like about their purchase, right? But it does give me an opportunity to ask whether manufacturers should impose a zero-tolerance policy for pixel defects when it’s a low-resolution display, such as the Switch console’s 1280 x 720 screen. I can understand dead pixels on a 4K display (especially since they are harder to see), but doesn’t stuck or lifeless pixels on a less complex screen suggest a crappier level of manufacturing?

Supplies of Nintendo’s latest console, the Switch, are extremely limited at the moment and most people aren’t lucky to have one. But some who have managed to get their gamer mitts on the coveted item are finding dead pixels on the screen. Nintendo’s solution? Just don’t consider it a defect. Nintendo’s official response to the issue of finding a dead pixel on the Switch’s portable screen can be found on its troubleshooting page. It reads in its entirety: Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect. That’s a vague response to what could be a serious issue for some consumers.

Wow. Low res screen with manufacturing defects that they won't honor. Powered by a cutdown tegra X1. No upscaling in the dock. Worse performance docked than handheld (dafuq?)

I've got a feeling this is Nintendo's last console.
It is not worse performance when it is docked. The Switch boost its GPU and up the resolution to 1080. Frame rate might be less consistent then in portable but it's GPU is pushed a lot more. This won't be Nintendo's last console.

I saw a couple sitting on a shelf at Target and thought about grabbing one, but none of the news has me really excited for it and I figured I'd leave them there for someone who was really searching. We've actually enjoyed the Wii U since it's pretty much the only platform to provide couch co-op in any meaningful way. I'm sure we'll grab one but it's not exactly something I'm hopped up about, which is a bummer, I was hoping it would be great.

I purchased a Switch, and minutes afterwards, this was the first thought I had. Previously, Nintendo had been pretty good with their dead pixel policy. My DS had one, and they had no problem doing an exchange. It's a shame that they're going the way of other manufacturers, as I'm way too OCD about stuff like that. But I guess I'm never (seldom) going to use the Switch as a portable device.

It is not worse performance when it is docked. The Switch boost its GPU and up the resolution to 1080. Frame rate might be less consistent then in portable but it's GPU is pushed a lot more. This won't be Nintendo's last console.

You seem to be flipping some facts. The GPU boost is when it is NOT docked. When you undock the system you get a 25% GPU boost. When you dock the system it does lowers the GPU performance and then upscales to 1080. So you get worse performance when docked.

You seem to be flipping some facts. The GPU boost is when it is NOT docked. When you undock the system you get a 25% GPU boost. When you dock the system it does lowers the GPU performance and then upscales to 1080. So you get worse performance when docked.

I'm pretty sure there's the base undocked GPU speed, the 25% boosted undocked speed, and the much higher docked GPU speed. (307Mhz vs 384Mhz vs 768Mhz)

Reactions: Rizen
like this
God ........ link is as tiny as a finger nail. How can anyone play this game on such a tiny screen? How is that even taking in the full experience of what is supposed to be a really well reviewed game? That's like short changing yourself.

Sucks, I want a home console. I have to wait another 4 or 5 years for for a new Nintendo console that hopefully will be strictly for the home

This isn't anything new for Nintendo. They often refuse to repair or replace 3DS units that have dead pixels on either screen, and those things have tiny resolutions that make a dead pixel pretty obvious. I recently watched a video on YouTube where Nintendo refused to repair a brand new 3DS that had a fair amount of dust under the screen.

Wow. Low res screen with manufacturing defects that they won't honor. Powered by a cutdown tegra X1. No upscaling in the dock. Worse performance docked than handheld (dafuq?)

I've got a feeling this is Nintendo's last console.

You forgot to mention the fact that they released the console with the software in an almost beta-like state with several features missing. Mostly the virtual console and friend requests working like the super mario maker courses. The dock apparantly scratches the console and the left joycon has disconnect issues. None of those issues Nintendo has made a statement about. Oh, and the big launch title is available on the wii u.....

I'll wait

I mean no disrespect to Nintendo fans but they should've stepped out of the hardware game like Sega after Gamecube.
So they could be relegated to slumming it on emulated re-hashes like Sega has been? There's no way BOTW would have been made if Sony/MS hardware was the only option.

Speaking of SEGA, what does that company even have anymore aside from 20 year old IP's that no one cares about now? Their once booming arcade business has tanked, multi-platform has flopped from abhorrent releases and the only gem in the entire company is Atlus. Fitting as that wasn't even a SEGA creation but a bankruptcy acquisition three years ago.

Anyway, the entire industry has been pushed towards this non-pixel policy garbage thanks to consumers settling for defective hardware because it was cheap. Guess what happens when everyone basks in the light of cheap flawed TN junk, it becomes the norm.

I doubt they'd be slumming it, Nintendo has better more popular IP's (see new Zelda score 10 out of 10) etc they could be porting those across pc and all consoles. They'd be insanely rich. They just have too much pride....and can't get over the fact that it's not 1996 anymore and pc R&D has evolved and exceeded consoles. Sega's IP's pretty much died with DC, PS2, etc....they just don't seem to garner the attention or selling power with this generation. Nintendo is in a much more viable multiplatform spot but they just won't do it because people keep giving in and buying a new console or handheld from them every single year with $70 accessories.

While I too would just return it for a new one later when I actually buy one. This dead pixel policy has been the norm for most lcd devices for a long time. The same policy existed for both the Vita and the 3DS etc and tablets and laptops and tvs. While I hate this policy, it has been the industry norm in the industry since 1988 when LCD was launched.

While I too would just return it for a new one later when I actually buy one. This dead pixel policy has been the norm for most lcd devices for a long time. The same policy existed for both the Vita and the 3DS etc and tablets and laptops and tvs. While I hate this policy, it has been the industry norm in the industry since 1988 when LCD was launched.

Quality hardware manufacturers provide zero dead/stuck pixel coverage!

I don't understand why the decided upon this course when designing their hardware unless they really don't consider the switch a 'home console'. To me it would make better sense to enable the GPU/CPU boosting when docked for a couple reasons: 1) The resolution for undocked is 720p, When docked, it's 900p. It would need the hardware muscle to upscale the game. 2) Battery Drain: Reduce the battery drain when not-docked. Let the console suck as much power while docked.

I would've preferred the main hardware to be thicker, and allow for much better performance and then have the joy-cons the same size and attach the same. I mean the damn thing isn't really capable of being carried in your pocket anyways, might as well go balls deep and give it more grunt. I've been hearing that the

As far as the main topic goes: Dead pixels are easily a reason why I'd return the hardware. Especially if it's brand new. I don't allow dead pixels in my monitors, phone, laptops, tablets... I don't think your gaming console should have them either. Period.

This isn't anything new for Nintendo. They often refuse to repair or replace 3DS units that have dead pixels on either screen, and those things have tiny resolutions that make a dead pixel pretty obvious. I recently watched a video on YouTube where Nintendo refused to repair a brand new 3DS that had a fair amount of dust under the screen.

From my perspective, it's pretty new. They replaced or fixed (didn't keep track of the serial numbers) a Game Boy Advance SP for me for a single dead pixel. Didn't have to play the return/exchange/restock game.

It's unfortunate they've turned it around with the 3DS, possibly even earlier. I guess it's pretty clear when Nintendo wanted the business and now they seem practically bothered by having customers at all.

The standard for LCD screens has been what? 3+% to be considered defective. So by that logic a dead pixel or two isn't considered a bad screen.

So they could be relegated to slumming it on emulated re-hashes like Sega has been? There's no way BOTW would have been made if Sony/MS hardware was the only option.

Speaking of SEGA, what does that company even have anymore aside from 20 year old IP's that no one cares about now? Their once booming arcade business has tanked, multi-platform has flopped from abhorrent releases and the only gem in the entire company is Atlus. Fitting as that wasn't even a SEGA creation but a bankruptcy acquisition three years ago.

Anyway, the entire industry has been pushed towards this non-pixel policy garbage thanks to consumers settling for defective hardware because it was cheap. Guess what happens when everyone basks in the light of cheap flawed TN junk, it becomes the norm.

I am sorry, but are you trying to say that the PS4 or Xbox One couldn't run BOTW?

As for Sega. They don't really have much anymore. But that is because they never had much to start with that people cared about. Sonic failed to go from 2D to 3D very well. Outside of that the only series that is really left alive is Yakuza.

I don't understand why the decided upon this course when designing their hardware unless they really don't consider the switch a 'home console'. To me it would make better sense to enable the GPU/CPU boosting when docked for a couple reasons: 1) The resolution for undocked is 720p, When docked, it's 900p. It would need the hardware muscle to upscale the game. 2) Battery Drain: Reduce the battery drain when not-docked. Let the console suck as much power while docked.

I would've preferred the main hardware to be thicker, and allow for much better performance and then have the joy-cons the same size and attach the same. I mean the damn thing isn't really capable of being carried in your pocket anyways, might as well go balls deep and give it more grunt. I've been hearing that the

As far as the main topic goes: Dead pixels are easily a reason why I'd return the hardware. Especially if it's brand new. I don't The allow dead pixels in my monitors, phone, laptops, tablets... I don't think your gaming console should have them either. Period.

It might just be poor journalism (not that there is really much of that left today to start with). Some articles report it as an increase over the docked GPU specs, other report it as 25% what was supposed to be the watered down undocked GPU specs, like what the person that replied to be above is stating. Given that people are reporting it both ways I don't know which one is actually correct. I would want to say that the docked GPU being faster makes that most sense, but if we went based on that there is a lot that wouldn't have happen with this system.

As I recall the DSlites had a small dead pixel issue. If you had at least 3 they replaced the screen for you.

I mean no disrespect to Nintendo fans but they should've stepped out of the hardware game like Sega after Gamecube.
And how did that work out for Sega hmm? Sega is a pachinko machine company now that dabbles in video games. They haven't had a successful game in the past 15 years.

As I recall the DSlites had a small dead pixel issue. If you had at least 3 they replaced the screen for you.
The dead pixel weren't the only issue with the DS. The type of screen you got is a crap shoot too. Some come with a very nice ips screen while other with the crappy TN screen. Some came one ips and one TN also. QC with the DS was abysmal with colors not being calibrated between the two screens either. But you have to look who it was marketed towards. Most kids probably cant tell the difference anyway.

I saw a couple sitting on a shelf at Target and thought about grabbing one, but none of the news has me really excited for it and I figured I'd leave them there for someone who was really searching. We've actually enjoyed the Wii U since it's pretty much the only platform to provide couch co-op in any meaningful way. I'm sure we'll grab one but it's not exactly something I'm hopped up about, which is a bummer, I was hoping it would be great.

I played a ton of splatoon with my daughter. We had some great times with the Wii U. We aren't really in a hurry to change. She got the latest Zelda for the Wii U. So she's good.

Something about the switch has me switched off.

The Wii, DS and amiibos printed them so much money so...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent
Says otherwise. Performance boost from handheld mode is a placebo of switching the output from 1080p down to 720p. There is actually no gpu boost unless it's programmed into the game, it's an option for developers not something automatically done.

And how did that work out for Sega hmm? Sega is a pachinko machine company now that dabbles in video games. They haven't had a successful game in the past 15 years.

In all fairness they were like that before they stopped with consoles. Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 weren't as big of games as the previous Sonic games. Ignoring Sonic they had....? Nothing really that popular outside of small groups. A few of their series have slowly dropped a game here or there over the last 4 years but most have been either 3DS games or iOS games. They have just kind of stopped trying to make larger games, but then again that isn't what they were know for to start with. It would be like if Sony stopped making the PS4 and went with just software. They don't have games that would really carry them on for the development side outside of a small handful of games. Same for Microsoft. They are not as software focused for first party as Nintendo is.

I played a ton of splatoon with my daughter. We had some great times with the Wii U. We aren't really in a hurry to change. She got the latest Zelda for the Wii U. So she's good.

Something about the switch has me switched off.

How does the game play on the Wii U? I have been tempted to borrow a Wii U for a few weeks and go buy Zelda for it as I have played every console Zelda game to date and want to play this one. I just am afraid that the game will be crap for the Wii U depending on how much time they spent on the Switch upgrades.

See above. It worked out BAD for them. Sega was a victim of circumstance. An awesome 90's company, beat down by poor management and changing trends. Nintendo still has profitable IP's like Mario and Zelda, which could go across multiple platforms people would eat up AND save them costs on making hardware. It's a Japanese thing I think.....a pride thing....they just won't get out of the hardware biz.

Whatever to all the haters. The Switch is outstanding and having a title like the new Zelda in a portable device is amazing.

Another clickbait false outrage headline. This practice is no different then any other manufacturer, and at the end of the day if you open up your Switch and find dead pixels just return/exchange the damn thing at the retail store you bought it from.

And yes, it overclocks when in the dock. This evident with how much hotter the device is while in dock mode compared to handheld mode even w/ the screen producing heat in handheld mode.

The reason why Zelda has slow downs while in dock mode is because it's outputting @ 900p vs. only 720p in handheld mode. Further, you can force the switch to only output @ 720p in dock mode if the slowdowns are you annoying you.

I'll say what I said in the other thread though; Zelda while experiencing the occasional slowdown is still a smoother playing game then GOW4 on the Xbox One..

Have fun continue hating on Nintendo; Ya'll are missing out on an incredible game due to bias.

They did good work as the publisher of Aliens:Colonial Marines. /s

I mean to be fair Sega only ever existed to compete against Nintendo. Everything Sega did Nintendo did first and did better. They luckboxed their way into a few good franchises but even Sonic's whole reason for existence was "lets create a side-scroller game to try and take Mario's throne", whereas Nintendo was never competing against anybody, they simply made compelling titles as they saw fit.

I think Nintendo will continue to make hardware because they are still ridiculously good at designing games to the point that they can proprietize their software by locking it to hardware in this manner. You want to play the best Zelda game ever made? Gotta do it on a Nintendo, and there are enough people that do.

No, this is 100% false. There is an optional 25% boost available in portable mode, over the base portable GPU, but it is still clocked much higher while docked. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent

Undocked GPU Speeds: 307.2MHz/384MHz
Docked GPU Speeds: 307.2MHz/384MHz/768MHz

Developers pick the speeds they want to use.

God ........ link is as tiny as a finger nail. How can anyone play this game on such a tiny screen? How is that even taking in the full experience of what is supposed to be a really well reviewed game? That's like short changing yourself

This. I'll wait for the emulator and play it on a proper-sized screen. I don't even care about the resolution so much - it's just too friggin small. As the system seems to have some bizarre connectivity problems with the controllers, going the docked route seems like an excercise in frustration.

This. I'll wait for the emulator and play it on a proper-sized screen. I don't even care about the resolution so much - it's just too friggin small. As the system seems to have some bizarre connectivity problems with the controllers, going the docked route seems like an excercise in frustration.

I've had zero issues along with my wife and 4 other people at work with them. For most people it was fixed with a day 1 patch.

Dead pixels can be annoying as hell. I honestly don't know how anyone could tolerate it unless it is just one or two in a part of the screen that doesn't matter. I just gave my 768p HDTV to Goodwill that I bought on 11/22/2005 and it still had zero dead pixels. My 1080p Vizio TV from 2012 still has 0 dead pixels and my $599 HP laptop from 2008 or so(purchased the day Win 7 was available) has 0 pixels on a 900p screen. I have only seen dead pixels on those junk TV's and monitors that people go animal for on Black Friday to save an extra $100 and on a buddy's TV so does this mean that Nintendo's quality has gone down?

Whatever to all the haters. The Switch is outstanding and having a title like the new Zelda in a portable device is amazing.

Another clickbait false outrage headline. This practice is no different then any other manufacturer, and at the end of the day if you open up your Switch and find dead pixels just return/exchange the damn thing at the retail store you bought it from.

And yes, it overclocks when in the dock. This evident with how much hotter the device is while in dock mode compared to handheld mode even w/ the screen producing heat in handheld mode.

The reason why Zelda has slow downs while in dock mode is because it's outputting @ 900p vs. only 720p in handheld mode. Further, you can force the switch to only output @ 720p in dock mode if the slowdowns are you annoying you.

I'll say what I said in the other thread though; Zelda while experiencing the occasional slowdown is still a smoother playing game then GOW4 on the Xbox One..

Have fun continue hating on Nintendo; Ya'll are missing out on an incredible game due to bias.

But that is the real shame to me. I'm not a Zelda fan at all, but this game does look great, but it's the golden game that sells this console and it can't even do full hd. I am very disappointed at the hardware. So yes I will miss out on this game because the hardware let it down.

Dead pixels can be annoying as hell. I honestly don't know how anyone could tolerate it unless it is just one or two in a part of the screen that doesn't matter. I just gave my 768p HDTV to Goodwill that I bought on 11/22/2005 and it still had zero dead pixels. My 1080p Vizio TV from 2012 still has 0 dead pixels and my $599 HP laptop from 2008 or so(purchased the day Win 7 was available) has 0 pixels on a 900p screen. I have only seen dead pixels on those junk TV's and monitors that people go animal for on Black Friday to save an extra $100 and on a buddy's TV so does this mean that Nintendo's quality has gone down?

Agreed. The only time I've had any pixel issues with anything was with my old Toshiba p2 laptop, but the pixel was able to be massaged working again, and on my very first lcd monitor had a couple of black ones, that was about 13 years ago. Now my dell 24" bought in 2008 I'm still using right now, our first and still current 46" Toshiba tv (bought 2009), three Nintendo ds consoles, multiple phones, about 3 other laptops, and a bunch of other lcd stuff I've had zero dead pixels with, they have never been an issue and I thought yields were fixed. But yea, has their quality gone down?

See above. It worked out BAD for them. Sega was a victim of circumstance. An awesome 90's company, beat down by poor management and changing trends. Nintendo still has profitable IP's like Mario and Zelda, which could go across multiple platforms people would eat up AND save them costs on making hardware. It's a Japanese thing I think.....a pride thing....they just won't get out of the hardware biz.

Mixture of pride probably and also who you want to serve.

They probably don't want to deal with third party dead lines and dealing with the headaches of controlling the quality of their ips

If we miss out that is due to Nintendo's failure at creating and selling a product that we would want to buy.

As for missing out on an incredible game, that happens every time you don't buy any console. If you don't own a PC, every Microsoft console, every Sony console, every Nintendo console... you are always going to be missing out on some great game. The question is does the ability to play a single game justify the price of a system? I personally have made the choice that Breath of the Wild, no matter how fun it looks, is not worth $600. If you feel that game is worth $600 that is fine, others don't agree. Buy buying a console for one gaming then throwing it away once done with that single game is a waste of money in my opinion and just litters the landfill with electronics. Since that is what I would do with a switch if I bought one for Zelda, I am not going to buy one.

In all fairness they were like that before they stopped with consoles. Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 weren't as big of games as the previous Sonic games. Ignoring Sonic they had....? Nothing really that popular outside of small groups. A few of their series have slowly dropped a game here or there over the last 4 years but most have been either 3DS games or iOS games. They have just kind of stopped trying to make larger games, but then again that isn't what they were know for to start with. It would be like if Sony stopped making the PS4 and went with just software. They don't have games that would really carry them on for the development side outside of a small handful of games. Same for Microsoft. They are not as software focused for first party as Nintendo is.

How does the game play on the Wii U? I have been tempted to borrow a Wii U for a few weeks and go buy Zelda for it as I have played every console Zelda game to date and want to play this one. I just am afraid that the game will be crap for the Wii U depending on how much time they spent on the Switch upgrades.

It's great! tough game though.

Nintendo should honor a return policy on dead pixels because unlike a computer monitor, their display is directly attached to the device itself making it a whole.

Back