Nintendo Is Bringing Back the NES Classic in 2018

If you were to buy a Pi and all the games, wouldn't that be more expensive than NES/SNES/N64 Classic?

He said he already owned all the games and didn't want to lug them around. I am saying that if you want a full collection, the N64 Classic is not going to have that. Same with all of the other ones, clearly.

Does n64 work that well on retropie?? Last I read, its still kinda slow, and a good amount of n64 games don't run well....or am I wrong?
Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Wave Race 64 all run fine and control good with a 360 pad. Mario 64 has some graphical oddities every once in awhile but generally works and controls fine as well. Can't say I've tried many more than that.
I know there are wiki pages out there with the best settings to use for the N64 emulation, I just haven't dug too deep with it yet.

Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Wave Race 64 all run fine and control good with a 360 pad. Mario 64 has some graphical oddities every once in awhile but generally works and controls fine as well. Can't say I've tried many more than that.
I know there are wiki pages out there with the best settings to use for the N64 emulation, I just haven't dug too deep with it yet.
See and that's the niche area for these classic consoles. Some people just want it to plug and play. Plus I don't want to play every game I simply want to play the popular titles. I don't have that much free time in my old age. I just want to get a sesh in for as long as I have and then get back to life.

My megaman collection only sees half the included 6 games get any play time.

Aren't people hacking the full Nintendo (NES) catalog into these things?

I wouldn't pay $250-$300 for one -- $60-$80 always seemed fair and a decent value.

How much you want to bet the new release loses this "feature."

How much you want to bet the new release loses this "feature."
I haven't even researched how they were executing this, just that they were.

I'd do it if it was easy. Thunder and Lightning is one of my favorite games from my late teens and early twenties.

See and that's the niche area for these classic consoles. Some people just want it to plug and play. Plus I don't want to play every game I simply want to play the popular titles. I don't have that much free time in my old age. I just want to get a sesh in for as long as I have and then get back to life.

My megaman collection only sees half the included 6 games get any play time.
Exactly. A lot of people just simply want something that works. No messing with settings, no building, no looking through wikis, no finding updates on a forum, just get home from work turn it on and play for a bit. I'd pick up an SNES mini if I could get my hands on one for little effort and not more than MSRP just for that reason. I'm not incapable of building something, could have done so ages ago if I gave enough of a crap, I just don't.

I haven't even researched how they were executing this, just that they were.

I'd do it if it was easy. Thunder and Lightning is one of my favorite games from my late teens and early twenties.

There are youtube videos showing how to do it. Not that hard.

Aren't people hacking the full Nintendo (NES) catalog into these things?

I wouldn't pay $250-$300 for one -- $60-$80 always seemed fair and a decent value.

or you buy a real nes and a flash cart and load roms. Roms are easy as cake to get and anyone can put files on a SD card.

or you buy a real nes and a flash cart and load roms. Roms are easy as cake to get and anyone can put files on a SD card.

The nice feature of sideloading these onto the NES classic is you get all the save game features of the NES classic where you wouldn't necessarily get that on a flash cart. You do get that on the Pi, but then you have to deal with emulation "issues."

^^ this is why I nurse along my backwards compatible fat PS3

Hopefully Sony would give it a store as well.

I tried RetroPie (using RPi3) just to see how it worked and such, and my first initial impressions are:

1. Excellent form factor, but arguably its form factor is what limits its hardware capabilities.

2. It's messy to mess with. There are certain menu bugs in Retropie and the whole thing is quite messy to setup, probably on similar line as installing a completely new Windows OS and hooking it up to your ethernet.

3. It's isolated, meaning you can't really share your savegame between your Pi and your PC, a small ITX case PC doesn't have that issue, since you can use the same emulator to ensure same file system.

Just about the only real advantage is that Retropie's game selection system is much better than PC's, as it looks so that you are selecting a game, rather than a rom file to load.

Beyond that, I would most likely prefer even a low powered G4560 with ITX board and GT1030 HTPC build running windows over using RPi, but that's just my preference.

Classics are plug and play, but they have a VERY large disadvantage: no turbo button.

I bought the classics purely for collection purposes, nothing more, nothing less. I still have them still in their original protective packaging barely used (only to test if they work).

I'm holding judgement until I see if they actually pull it off. If the snes has the stock needed I'll be happy as I kinda want one. Hell I'll buy a nes classic next round if I can find one easy enough.

I had said this before but what I'd love is for them to release something based off say the wii or wiiu hardware(without the screen) that is dressed in a retro box. Say make it look like a gamecube and just not have the top open. Let it be a retro box where you can buy controllers(including a new version of the wavebird) and have a virtual console store. Have single games and game packs(so let us buy the nes classic pack).

Using that hardware they could run virtual console gamecube games without issue and pretty much everything before. Only issues would be later sega hardware like the saturn(which emulation isn't great for) and the dreamcast. I think the hardware could be done cheap enough to get people interested and once they have it many would buy extra retro games.

Hate to break it to you:
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/08...sic-for-pre-order-sells-out-in-half-hour.html

even their pre-orders got obliterated, so yeah expect the secondary market to go crazy for these things and to never be able to find one on a shelf before nintendo says "actually we are discontinuing that product too"

I'm more than capable of building a pi that could do it all, but it was the nostalgia and laziness that made me want an NES classic. Sometimes when you get home from work you just want to open a new toy, sit down and play some games. Screw nintendo though, year after year and product after product they pull the same stuff. Once or twice I can forgive.... every god damn time? I'll keep my money :)

He said he already owned all the games and didn't want to lug them around. I am saying that if you want a full collection, the N64 Classic is not going to have that. Same with all of the other ones, clearly.
I meant to ask how much it would cost to do the Pi+Roms, if you started with owning nothing... I mean legally, of course...

I meant to ask how much it would cost to do the Pi+Roms, if you started with owning nothing... I mean legally, of course...

Depends on the game. Probably $5-20 for each cartridge if you can find them.

Back