Nintendo Halting Wii U Production This Week

HardOCP News

[H] News
Farewell to the Nintendo Wii U, we barely knew you. Seriously, I think I used one once. Maybe. It was sad to see the company follow up the extremely popular Wii with the lackluster Wii U. Let's just hope the company's new console doesn't share the Wii U's fate.

Nintendo will end Wii U production this Friday, multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer. At the last official count, as of 30th September, Nintendo had shipped 13.36m Wii U consoles. The Wii U's final tally will likely now be only slightly more. For comparisons sake, GameCube sold 21m. N64 sold 32m. Wii sold 101m.

Wonder if that means they going to cancel the new Zelda and other games for the Wii u

awww they're banning an overpriced tablet console... only to bring out a little less priced tablet console?

I loved the software. The GamePad would have been nice as an optional accessory but not mandatory. I think they should have released without it and priced the system at $199.

Don't worry, in 10 years used Wii U games will still be $54.

I have a Wii Mini, they were $100 brand new. But very limited availability in North America.

If you own a gaming PC, then a Nintendo console is a good sidekick. They actually offer something unique that you can't get elsewhere.

I was about to say this. Microsoft wants to have games on PC, and Sony has few need-to-have exclusives (bloodborne and TLU being the only ones I can think of) so a Nintendo console is really a good, cheap choice. Plus it gives the nieces/nephews/friends kids/your own kids something to play with when they visit.

Maybe now they will concentrate on development of their flagship hybrid console, the Switch.

Wonder if that means they going to cancel the new Zelda and other games for the Wii u

they still have them out there, they just don't want to make any more of them. Probably have more than enough sitting on the shelf in the warehouse to take care of demand between now and the release of the Switch. If not longer given the lack of real demand.

and Zelda is still not out yet.......

Wii U was so close to being 4 years old. What a short life it had.

I owned a Wii. I still don't know what a Wii u looks like.

Like a switch with the controllers permanently fixed to the screen, but with the processing done in the little box next to the TV (which is not a dock).

they should stop making hardware and just put out games

I disagree. I don't want to play Mario or Zelda on my PC, it would just feel wrong.

What they should do (and appear to be doing) is try to own the mobile gaming space.

I disagree. Playing Mario or Zelda on PC would feel so right.

It would effectively mean the end to Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a whole host of other fantastic split screen/shared screen multiplayer games.

I've got three brothers. Growing up with an N64 and Gamecube was the bomb. Nintendo on PC would be a travesty and would signal the end of an era.

I disagree. I don't want to play Mario or Zelda on my PC, it would just feel wrong.

What they should do (and appear to be doing) is try to own the mobile gaming space.

I'd love their games on the PC. Mobile touchscreen gaming should die 5 years ago

It would effectively mean the end to Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and a whole host of other fantastic split screen/shared screen multiplayer games.

I've got three brothers. Growing up with an N64 and Gamecube was the bomb. Nintendo on PC would be a travesty and would signal the end of an era.

then another console then. Xbox one has 8 player (controller) support.

After buying a 3DS just for Pokemon, this. I find it incredibly hard to stomach their shitty-by-design hardware and I would very much play it on the iPhone.
The reverse is true for me. 3ds is better than any cellphone.
I hope they don't stop making hardware.

Dear WiiU, We hardly knew ye.

Mostly because what we knew was more than enough to treat like the ancients treated lepers.

"Nintendo Halting Wii U Production This Week"

You know this isn't true right?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/report-wii-u-production-will-end-this-week/

Also I don't know why people crap on Nintendo. I'm a big PC gamer but still love my Wii U. Super Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Yoshi's Wooly World, Donkey Kong, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad and more all offer me great experiences I can't have anywhere else. The double screen comes in super handy if you have family too. Shame people hate on something they haven't even tried.

Why would it mean that? Just because the big prudish developers are not making same screen experiences doesn't mean it can't be done on PC.

If you own a gaming PC, then a Nintendo console is a good sidekick. They actually offer something unique that you can't get elsewhere.

This is exactly right. Over the past couple gens, I've kept playing my Nintendo console well past the point when my Xbox or PS consoles were gathering dust (I have a PS4 now that I don't think's been turned on for 6 months). Different games (not just content, but style), different experience. I expect the Switch will be my next console, and the only one I pick up for years to come. While Nintendo offers USP in games and hardware experience; except for a handful of titles, PS and Xbox largely offer the same thing as my PC with much less performance.

Also, why would people crap on Nintendo? Never understood that. Their games have been consistently quality, and whatever you have to say about Wii U, at least they tried something different.

Last edited:
What a shame. I HATED my Wii and all the gimmicky controls and how my favorite titles forced their use and thus ruining the experience. My kids practically begged me for the WiiU and I begrudgingly bought them one (surely it would suck worse than the Wii). Then, I realized two things 1) Nintendo still makes GREAT exclusives, and 2) they had toned down the gimmicks. When they did bust out the gimmicks - with the exception of Star Fox - they were mostly done right. Xenoblade Chronicles X sucked away 300+ hours of gametime for me, and the use of the tablet was simply glorious (as both an added in game screen, as well as for remote play). But there was no Zelda or Metroid - I can't even...

So put me in the camp of "Nintendo's hardware and marketing screwed the WiiU" Which sucks because there are so many unmade games due to a lack of faith in the hardware.

Back