Nintendo Expects to Ship 20 Million Switch Devices in First Year

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While there is a difference between “shipped” and “sold,” this still means that Nintendo expects to sell 20 million consoles. Will they be able to pull it off? They did manage to sell over a million consoles during launch week, but I don’t know how that momentum has kept up.

Nintendo estimates shipments of the Switch in its first year at 20 million units, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers, adding that they have a conservative estimate of shipping at least 10 million units in the first year. Nintendo released the Switch in March 2017 and the game console enjoyed over one million units of sales in the first week after the release. Nintendo president Kimishima Tatsumi also recently said that he expects Switch's overall sales to reach 110 million units.

Ebay and CraigsList said in a joint statement that they have been very pleased with Nintendo's strategy and they hope to continue in to the future.

They need to fill the NES Mini demand first. That will cost them sales of other devices like the Switch.

I think once Mario Kart comes out on April 28th, it is going to make the switch even hotter. I am not sure why the hype is so high right now since I have one, finished zelda and all the extras yesterday, have Super Bomberman R which sucks, and now I am stuck until Mario Kart. The switch is really cool and I love using it, there just isn't enough good games out yet for it. By X-Mas I know this will change and the switch will be a must have for a lot more ppl.

If its crazy-successful, that will just give volunteers and emulator devs even more incentive to build a robust emulator for the Switch. I look forward to playing Breath of the Wild on my PC.

They need to fill the NES Mini demand first. That will cost them sales of other devices like the Switch.
Demand for the NES classic died after Christmas. I doubt they even producing more. It was a limited run that turned out more successful then they expected. I'm sure they going to make more for this Christmas or make a snes one this year.

Nintendo needs more killer apps to keep that momentum.

Mario Kart will provide a big boost in sales. The next Pokemon games will sell another 1-2 million consoles at minimum. Remember, unlike the Wii U, a lot of their flagship mobile titles are being released for the Switch as it is the replacement for the 3DS.

It's a rehash of Mario Kart 8 from the Wii U, I can't see that as a big system mover.

I just dont get how this is such a hit while the WII-U bombed. I actually liked using the WII-U tablet to play games on while my wife monopolized the main tv. In the end there just wasnt enough games out for it. The switch just doesnt seem to be a whole lot different to me. Its only marginally more powerful, with minimal built in storage and I would hardly call it "portable" considering the battery life. Of course, nintendo is pulling a play out of its old 3ds/wii playbook with artificial shortages again. All I know is im not going to lay out close to 500 bucks for the system and accessories to play zelda and wii-u retreads I already played.

It's a rehash of Mario Kart 8 from the Wii U, I can't see that as a big system mover.

Never underestimate the rabid ferocity of the Nintendo loyalists. They gobble up anything Nintendo shovels out to them. That being said, I think that only carries them for so long.

Never underestimate the rabid ferocity of the Nintendo loyalists. They gobble up anything Nintendo shovels out to them. That being said, I think that only carries them for so long.

They didn't gobble up a lot of Wii U consoles though, so clearly they won't buy anything Nintendo shovels out.

They didn't gobble up a lot of Wii U consoles though, so clearly they won't buy anything Nintendo shovels out.

missed the part about how it only carries them for so long?

Say for example there is 1 million. They sell 1 million consoles, but they could sell 5 million nintendo games. 5 nintendo games per person. I don't think they'll sell 20 million consoles in a year.

Demand for the NES classic died after Christmas. I doubt they even producing more. It was a limited run that turned out more successful then they expected. I'm sure they going to make more for this Christmas or make a snes one this year.
People are still waiting for them to be in stock. People like me aren't going to pay 2 to 3 times the price for them on Ebay & Amazon. Nintendo is still insisting that they are still producing them & are just having a parts procurement problem. At least that's what they still said the other day.

People are still waiting for them to be in stock. People like me aren't going to pay 2 to 3 times the price for them on Ebay & Amazon. Nintendo is still insisting that they are still producing them & are just having a parts procurement problem. At least that's what they still said the last three generations.

FTFY

Back