Nintendo Ends Production of Standard New Nintendo 3DS in Japan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
To be clear, only the regular-sized version of the 3DS has been terminated: while the standard model of the 3DS is no more, the 2DS, New 2DS XL, and New 3DS XL will continue to be produced. Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime had advocated the idea of a single “premium” DS experience in the past, and the XL will clearly fill that role going forward. While western plans are unclear, the Nintendo US Store has no standard New 3DS systems listed, and the UK Store only shows remaining stock of limited edition bundles.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime recently explained the New 2DS XL is designed to exist "between" the New 3DS XL and the standard 2DS. "The Nintendo 2DS really focused on that entry level gamer," he said. "The four-, five-, six-year old that is just getting into gaming, but wants to play Mario Kart, wants to have a Super Mario Bros. experience, wants to play Pokemon. And we feel with Nintendo 3DS XL at $199 that it's a fully-featured product, that it is, if you will, the Cadillac of handheld gaming. And then we heard from consumers, 'Boy, I wish there was something in between.'"

For a second, I thought that this was Nintendo making their move to eliminate the Switch's main competition.

I think the Switch's main competition is the supply part of supply & demand.

That, and making more desirable games for the $300 console with such terrible portable controls.

It's nice to have it be so portable, but MK gets boring quick on those shitty controllers. Guess you need to drop $200 more on three more Pro Controllers, and get another bag to shlep those around.

The 3DS XL is a much more portable solution.
No parts to lose other than the power adapter, and the screens are protected when it's closed and stuffed into luggage.

Back