nintendo DS.... thoughts?

b1m2x3

2[H]4U
Well, i know some of you picked these up; and ive been itching to trade in my ps2 + games and get one today. They look pretty fun, as are most nintendo games.

i played metroid, the graphics were pretty good; n64 quality, but the stylus thing was really damn cool.

So, of those of you who got it earlier, what do you think now? was it worth it?

I've been playing our stores demo units, and I have to say it's not bad at all. The control scheme for Metroid is a bit quarky, but the wireless multiplayer is awesome. The Metroid demo is wearing on me though, but then again I have to hear it's music all day... :eek:

I do enjoy using the sylus for gameplay, but I have to say it always seems to move a little slow for me. Pictochat is great, I can chat with my friends at work. I think my boss thinks I just have a huge PDA :D The biggest problem is that the conversations alway revert back something you'd expect from a couple of 12 year olds. You never know when I giant set of genitals is going to flash across your screen. :eek:

I picked one up last Sunday and im loving playing through the ol Mario 64 again on the DS. Using the thumb strap as an analog stick replacement takes a while to get used to but once you get use to it you barely notice it. The Metroid demo was spiffy, and ill probably pick it up when it gets released. The reason I bought the DS was because, come on, portable Mario 64? Had to get it :)
Im looking forward to Mario Kart DS and some kind of Zelda game, oh and not to mention the FF3 port :D

I played the demo unit in the stores. It seemed nice, but I want to see how games will turn out for it (and the PSP).

yea i might pick it up with christmas money, when is PSP due out anyway? i also want to see how that shapes up against it, but a friend of mine brought his to school and as all new nintendo products go, its very innovative

the only reason im thinking about getting a ds OVER a psp is the battery life.

o wait, and the cost.

is there an OFFICIAL word on the psp battery life yet? under full use?

b1m2x3 said:
the only reason im thinking about getting a ds OVER a psp is the battery life.

o wait, and the cost.

is there an OFFICIAL word on the psp battery life yet? under full use?
I think they mentioned something like 4-5 hours.

If any of you guys really wanna get a PSP and can hold off for a bit, you might as well wait a bit until other PSP revisions are realeased as they are promised to have a better battery life. As they release new revisions they will use smaller nanometer technology for their boards which equals longer battery life :D For now I am happy with my DS

I find the little machine way less offensive in person than I thought I would. I'm still a little skepical, though. I have to say I already think Hunters will be better than Prime. Man, Prime was just crap.

got one with mario 64 and I gotta say the thing kicks ass. hell just the mini games for mario 64 keep me busy for hours :) and the battery life is amazing considering your playing an amped up N64 with TWO screens running! lasts just as long if not longer than my GB advance SP did. and as for the metriod demo, if your trying tht at the demo kiosk, the thumb pad on the strap DESTROYS the stylus for game play and feels very natural. definatly worth the cash if you can find one

eddited for spelling :D

Acceptable_Risk said:
I find the little machine way less offensive in person than I thought I would. I'm still a little skepical, though. I have to say I already think Hunters will be better than Prime. Man, Prime was just crap.

:eek: ...

the DS is a great little handheld.. i am liking it much more than i thot i wuld.. i need to get some games for it.. kinda getting bored of the Hunters Demo :rolleyes: ..

if anyone is looking for a DS i have one for sale in the (you guessed it) FS section.. i can post a link if u guys wanna take a looksee :D

Acceptable_Risk said:
Words would help.

I think the thing he was trying to say is how shocking it is that you called Prime crap. There are lots of gc owners, including myself, that think Prime (and now Prime 2) is one of the best games out there for the cube.

brom42 said:
I think the thing he was trying to say is how shocking it is that you called Prime crap. There are lots of gc owners, including myself, that think Prime (and now Prime 2) is one of the best games out there for the cube.
Wow. Practically everyone I know thought it was bad. I don't think I personally know more than one who even bothered to finish it. And I'm talking about ten or twelve people, here. It was only a half competent shooter and only a pale shadow of a Metroid game. Fusion wasn't so hot either. Zero Mission wasn't terrible but it was no Metroid 3. As far as I'm concerned, Gumpei Yokoi was the only man who could do Metroid right. My opinion of the franchise slips a little every day.

I sold my GBA a few months ago on these forums to go towards my DS. I went to walmart last sunday and picked one up with Mario. I really like it.

ebgames near me is out of stock :(
i wanna trade in my ps2+ games... i dont play them anymore at all....

and nintendo games are addicting

well, i just splurged.

hl2, nintendo ds, and super mario 64 ds....

its recharging in the corner. yay

Acceptable_Risk said:
Zero Mission wasn't terrible but it was no Metroid 3
I'm not flaming you, just trying to clear this part up.

Metriod Zero Mission was a remake of the first Metriod. I loved it. Beat it twice on Norma and Hard. It wasn't suppose to be a metriod 4 (remember, Metroid (1), Metroid Prime(1.5), Metroid 2 Return of Samus, Super Metroid (3), and Fusion (4). I don't know when Prime 2 takes place, haven't played it yet).

I own Metroid Prime and I beat that on normal and hard difficulty as well, 100% on both. We all got to remember that Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are not FPS but FPA. Eh, maybe I'm just a diehard Metriod fan but I loved all of them, even though more could of been done for Fusion.

Ok back on subject. I want to get a Gameboy DS but I don't exactly have the money right now. What games are out right now? Just Mario 64?

i didnt know FPS's(hold that loosely on MP) are bad if they require thinking... i thought it was easily the best game on the cube and one of the better FPS's out in the new millenium

MP2 is just as good and then some, im about 14 hours into it and maybe 65% done

I would like to buy a DS, but I'm waiting just a little to see what games are going to come out. Hell, if Nintendo would bring a revamped Earthbound 1 and 2 out for it, I'd be all over it. I also want to see something more innovative from the dual screen technology besides using it for (item screen/map), but maybe there already is.

Ill be waiting for the PSP to see which one takes the crown. Id rather not spend money on a still immature product.

Acceptable_Risk said:
Wow. Practically everyone I know thought it was bad. I don't think I personally know more than one who even bothered to finish it. And I'm talking about ten or twelve people, here. It was only a half competent shooter and only a pale shadow of a Metroid game. Fusion wasn't so hot either. Zero Mission wasn't terrible but it was no Metroid 3. As far as I'm concerned, Gumpei Yokoi was the only man who could do Metroid right. My opinion of the franchise slips a little every day.

I guess that we have to agree to disagree. I have several friends that called in sick so they could play MP when it came out. If it was just a half ass shooter, I don't think MP would have won game of the year from Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, GameSpot.com, GameSpy.com, IGN Cube.com and Planet GameCube.com just to name a few.

Nintendo also released a gamecube bundles with metroid prime with a different box. On the box the metroid prime and metroid logo are in bold with a black backround, while the part that say gamecube have been integrated into the picture and on two of the sides. The selling point of the box is not that you are getting a gamecube, but that you are getting MP. I even had a friend that went out and got a second gamecube so he could have the "collectors edition" of MP.

What I am getting it is that you shouldn't be surprised to find that quite a few people would disagree with your opinion of the game.

Now I do agree with you on two things. Metroid: Zero Mission trashed the original version. It was far to linear. Whenever I play the original metroid I like to beat Ridley first, just try to do that in Zero Mission. Second, Metroid fusion was a fun game, but was not worthy of the Metroid name. It was just a medioce game all around.

This is going to be my last response about this subject in this thread. I have done enough hijacking today. :D

So how's the touch-screen on the DS? Will it be damaged by an over-zealous gamer using the thumb pointer?

i dont think it would, unless you are insane with it.

its very accurate and i like it alot... the mario 64 mini games utilize it amazingly. its very cool and the mini games are very addicting.

if only i could find someone else with it so we could play... meh... maybe in school monday...

Been logging a lot of hours on Mario 64 DS and the touchscreen is actually superior to the old N64 analog stick once you dial it. That said, the unit could have used a better form factor but that's of little concern.

Oh, and GBA games look about twice as good on this as they do on a GBA SP.

I want to get one, but as we all know, the better games come out later in the products life, as with all consoles, save for Halo. I'm waiting till after PSP. But if they put an RTS on DS, I'd die and go to DS heaven.

Xenomaniac said:
I'm not flaming you, just trying to clear this part up.

Metriod Zero Mission was a remake of the first Metriod. I loved it. Beat it twice on Norma and Hard. It wasn't suppose to be a metriod 4 (remember, Metroid (1), Metroid Prime(1.5), Metroid 2 Return of Samus, Super Metroid (3), and Fusion (4). I don't know when Prime 2 takes place, haven't played it yet).

I own Metroid Prime and I beat that on normal and hard difficulty as well, 100% on both. We all got to remember that Metroid Prime 1 & 2 are not FPS but FPA. Eh, maybe I'm just a diehard Metriod fan but I loved all of them, even though more could of been done for Fusion.

Ok back on subject. I want to get a Gameboy DS but I don't exactly have the money right now. What games are out right now? Just Mario 64?
I don't really want to hijack this thread any more than I have, but what I meant to say was, I enjoyed Zero Mission well enough, but it didn't live up to what I feel was the last decent Metroid game: Metroid 3/Super Metroid. I'm fully aware of the lineage.

^ Agreed! The GBA Metroids didn't feel like the old metroids....I don't know what it was.

Now that a couple people bring it up, I could totally imagine the possibilities of real time strategy with the DS. One screen with the action, another screen with management and troop movement and such, it'd be great.

They are releasing Advance Wars DS too, which I am waiting for like an impatient child. (Though the name is stupid, it's not the GB Advance, so it should be DS Wars) :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111570.html
^pricing on the PSP and battery life and such.

i guess the battery life isnt all that bad since i probably dont go out and play portable games for 6 hours every day.. since hte battery is removable also.. thent hat means theres always room for improvement. im pretty much a psp fan, but the ds has a few games that might make me want to pick one up. i mean... i bought a gamecube just so i can play RE4.

Heh, maybe I'll pick up a PSP next month in Tokyo...or Hong Kong, as long as there is no protection that I have to bypass. And it watches movies?

i heard they are allowing all games from all countries to be played. since the movies have to be all region and stuffs too.

I just picked my DS up on Wed night in BFE Dublin's Target. I was planning to get the GBA sp awhile back but never did. I must say this thing is damn cool! I love it and I can't wait till they have some Wi-Fi capable apps & games. I only purchased Mario64 and a GBA game called Fire Emblem (Which I can't stop playing).

Mario64 is awesome, the new addition to using the other characters is neat and the mini-games are well worth the purchase in itself.

I can't wait for some RPG / Strategy DS games to come out and take advantage of the double screens and touch pad. I read that they are hinting towards making an online (possibly MMORPG?) rpg for the DS.

On a side note can anyone recommend any GBA RPG or Strategy RPG games? I was going to get Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or something of that sort but purchased Fire Emblem on a whim. I actually play that GBA game more than I do Mario64 :p But my girlfriend loves the mini-games in Mario so I eventually play it more to unlock stuff.

For gameboy strategy games, Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the best. Advance Wars 1 and 2 are great too.

You already have Fire Emblem, which sucked up three weeks of my life last term, just be sure to never use the character Marcus...ever. You'll understand why.

Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age are great. You should play them in order since they're on storyline. Final Fantasy I and II will be out in a collection in a couple days, look for those.

Acceptable_Risk said:
Agreed. Metroid Prime was crap. I didn't finish it. Not looking forward to part 2. Super Metroid was better.

Back