Nintendo DS Outselling 3DS Two-to-One

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Nintendo is having a bit of a problem competing with itself when it comes to its handhelds. The 3DS is not catching on as fast as it was expected to do. In fact, the DS is outselling the 3DS by a two-to-one margin. Nintendo spokesman cited the higher cost and lackluster library of available 3-D games for weak sales.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata admitted earlier this month that the line-up of 3DS launch games was weak, and said he won't make the same mistake for future console launches.

Like the article said - no Mario, no Zelda, people buy Nintendo for the first party games, we all know that. Expensive, none of the beloved Nintendo characters, heck I think the only first person title was a submarine game wasn't it?

Maybe because 3D in its current form is gimmicky and will never catch on... just like it hasn't on and off for the last 30 years...

I am considering the 3DS, but I'm not sure I want it at $250.

Personally I could never get into handheld games. I tried my hand at it back with the first GameBoy. It was fun, but it wasn't fun enough for me to keep doing. Now, I can barely do gaming on my phone long enough to warrant purchasing a game off the Android market. Handheld games just don't hold my attention, I guess. The only one that ever did was Zelda.

Maybe because 3D in its current form is gimmicky and will never catch on... just like it hasn't on and off for the last 30 years...

:rolleyes:

OH whatever, that's such a tired excuse. the 3D on the 3Ds is actually pretty impressive. it's gimmicky when you need glasses, 150 dollar glasses at that.

No, the reason it's not selling well is it's 250 bucks, lasts as low as 2hrs per charge and doesn't have any quality games.

saying the 3D is gimmicky is like saying the only reason the PS3 wasn't selling it's first few years was because the Blu-ray was a "gimmick". When in all actuality, it was the reason the PS3 was selling at all it's first year. it was the same price as the first BD players, but could also play games and was upgradeable.

You can buy a DS Lite for $99 bucks and play DS and GBA games so you have thousands of games to pick from.
A 3DS is $249 and you have what maybe a couple dozen games?
Not to hard to figure out. Also I know I sure as hell wouldn't buy a $249 dollar handheld for my 6 year old to drop.

The PS2 outsold the PS3 for a long, long time.

yeah except most ppl definitely wanted a ps3, there really is not much reason for moving to a 3ds at this point, or in the foreseable future. The handheld market is really shifting with smartphones/etc.

How long will it take for the console to dip to about $150?

OH whatever, that's such a tired excuse. the 3D on the 3Ds is actually pretty impressive. it's gimmicky when you need glasses, 150 dollar glasses at that.

No, the reason it's not selling well is it's 250 bucks, lasts as low as 2hrs per charge and doesn't have any quality games.

saying the 3D is gimmicky is like saying the only reason the PS3 wasn't selling it's first few years was because the Blu-ray was a "gimmick". When in all actuality, it was the reason the PS3 was selling at all it's first year. it was the same price as the first BD players, but could also play games and was upgradeable.

I know this is all personal preference. But I thought the 3d on the 3ds sucked after trying it out. I would've been much more interested in a new DS had it actually had a nice UI with a nice touch screen oled screen. And possibly a decent browser? That would've been a much bigger selling point to me than the crappy (remember, in my opinion) 3d feature of the 3ds.

The PS2 outsold the PS3 for a long, long time.

Uh, that comparison should terrify Nintendo. PS2 had 65%+ marketshare for its generation and topped 150 million units sold in its lifetime. PS3 currently has 27% marketshare and sold 50 million units after being on the market for 4.5 years. The last thing Nintendo would want is for the 3DS to become their "PS3" and have their cut of the handheld market drop from 70% to under 30%.

Uh, that comparison should terrify Nintendo. PS2 had 65%+ marketshare for its generation and topped 150 million units sold in its lifetime. PS3 currently has 27% marketshare and sold 50 million units after being on the market for 4.5 years. The last thing Nintendo would want is for the 3DS to become their "PS3" and have their cut of the handheld market drop from 70% to under 30%.

Eh not really. The PS3 lost marketshare because it was absurdly expensive, especially compared to its main competitors. The 360 and Wii were both significantly cheaper.

The only real competition to the 3DS is the DSi/DS Lite. Nintendo knows that a $249 handheld won't sell as well as the previous one. The DS took a long time and a price drop or two to really reach critical mass, too.

There's one reason, and one reason only, that the 3DS hasn't gained traction. It's because the games suck.

I'd think they probably had the same "problem" with the original DS and GameBoy Advance. There only a couple worthwhile games for it for a while, and then the next thing you knew everyone had to have one for Mario Kart and Castlevania.
Give it time. I don't want want right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one eventually.

I think we've all learned our lessons -- you never buy a first gen nintendo handlheld. You wait for a year and get the one with the bigger screen and longer battery life for the same price. Especially at $250...

Too much for me. I"m passing on this Gen, and I've got every nintendo console ever made (including virtual boy).

You can buy a DS Lite for $99 bucks and play DS and GBA games so you have thousands of games to pick from.
Not to hard to figure out. Also I know I sure as hell wouldn't buy a $249 dollar handheld for my 6 year old to drop.

+1

Ther'e's also the concern about the effect of the 3D display on kids vision.

The 3D is a gimmick, EVERY person I know that has one turns it off and leaves it off far more often then its on. Its not well done or even comfortable. Its the equivalent of those pictures you cross your eyes for to see the hidden image. A neat diversion, but not compelling.

Eh not really. The PS3 lost marketshare because it was absurdly expensive, especially compared to its main competitors. The 360 and Wii were both significantly cheaper.

The PS3 stopped being "absurdly" expensive 2 or 3 years ago. How much marketshare has it gained since then? About 6% or 7% if I remember correctly. I think the Wii sports and Wii fit fad killed their marketshare along with increased competition from MS buying all of Sony's previous 3rd party exclusives. Those did more damage to their market share then price in my opinion.

The only real competition to the 3DS is the DSi/DS Lite.

I guess Sony should just scrap the PS vita then. As much crap as the PSP gets it still took just over 30% of the portable market. Not bad for a first crack at handhelds and much better then any company has ever done against Nintendo which has owned the market for over 20 years.

Nintendo knows that a $249 handheld won't sell as well as the previous one. The DS took a long time and a price drop or two to really reach critical mass, too.

Why a $250 Wii sure sold a hell of a lot better then a $99 Gamecube.

Sales aren't weak due to game library, it has enough titles to sell.

The problems are as follows;
1) $250 for a handheld.
2) The 3d Blows, period. The point of a handheld is so I can just use it, not have to sit there and constantly adjust to see the 3d until it either gives me a mind numbing headache or I just turn the 3d off completely.
3) Once the 3d is off it is pretty decent, but then I could have just bought a DSi XL and had a bigger screen for less money (which I did).

Oh and yes I have used a 3ds, it is just a massive pita to use and once again the 3d is terrible. It remains a gimmick despite what the fanbois want you to believe. I own a Wii and two DSi XL's in my family so I am far from a nintendo hater. I simply have the ability to call a terrible product for what it is.

When I was packing up some netfix disks this morning i noticed that the 3ds will have netflix sometime soon. I do not know any details but I can imagine that will influence future sales in a positive way.

When I was packing up some netfix disks this morning i noticed that the 3ds will have netflix sometime soon. I do not know any details but I can imagine that will influence future sales in a positive way.

already there, been watching Deathnote all weekend on it and its great. The interface is in 3D and it ties to your netflix account, so you never have to login once thats done.

I tried the 3DS at a game store and why the 3D was pretty obvious in the Street Fighter game, once you shifted the unit from left to right a little, it seems to blink/blur until your eyes settled again on the image. I played the demo for about 3 minutes and afterwards, I started to get a headache.

Until you can shift from left to right (it's a handheld for crying out loud!!!!) and the image not mess with your eyes, then personally I would be interested. The technology is too new and for $249.99. A big FUCK NO!!!! Maybe for $89.99, and that's a maybe...

I am considering the 3DS, but I'm not sure I want it at $250.

This, plus the software library is really weak, there's no real SYSTEM SELLER, except maybe the new Zelda, even then it's not a done deal.

I'll buy one when they release a refreshed hardware, reduce the price, OR the software library gets better.

Especially wanting Castlevania 3DS games, those would be sweet.

Anybody who has played the GBA or Nintendo DS castlevania games knows what I'm on about.

I think they did a good job on the 3D, but the screen is too small and makes my eyes go all crossed. Wife was going to buy it for the boy for his b-day but at $250, she bought him a XBOX 360 instead.

This, plus the software library is really weak, there's no real SYSTEM SELLER, except maybe the new Zelda, even then it's not a done deal.

I'll buy one when they release a refreshed hardware, reduce the price, OR the software library gets better.

Especially wanting Castlevania 3DS games, those would be sweet.

Anybody who has played the GBA or Nintendo DS castlevania games knows what I'm on about.

I do. They're basically remakes of Super Metroid with different sprites. This is why they're so awesome.

+1
Ther'e's also the concern about the effect of the 3D display on kids vision.

Combine all 3 of these, and that's why I didn't pickup a 3DS for my 12 yr old.

Lousy. He's right it's gimmicky and yes I've seen it in person. It's a joke. THe slider maxed out looks like shit and hurts my eyes. I can only use it about 1/3 of the way up. It's still not a good system. It's a shame they didn't make it 200 bucks and drop the price of the other DS's. I would have actually bought them. Nintendo can go to hell.

It probably doesn't justify the price tag but you are forgetting that the 3DS is retro-compatible with the DS library of games.

This is why -- other than the fact that purchased it for 199€ instead of 249€ -- I bought one. I had the choice of either getting a DSi and having a large library of games but being limited to the 'current gen' graphics (and let's be honest; while many DS games are fun the graphics are underwhelming to the point of it being impossible to have nice racing games on the system). Or I could spend a bit more and not only be able to play the good DS games but also play games with 'next generation' graphics too.

I'm sure they have known for a while that the 3DS was going to be a failure. 3D was chik for a couple months there, which is probably when they gave the 3DS the go, then it quietly passed by, but by that time they were probably already in over their heads without a way back out.

Lousy. He's right it's gimmicky and yes I've seen it in person. It's a joke. THe slider maxed out looks like shit and hurts my eyes. I can only use it about 1/3 of the way up. It's still not a good system. It's a shame they didn't make it 200 bucks and drop the price of the other DS's. I would have actually bought them. Nintendo can go to hell.

no its not gimmicky. speak for yourself.
I use one everyday and the slider is always at max. never get any headaches. too bad your eyes suck.

It probably doesn't justify the price tag but you are forgetting that the 3DS is retro-compatible with the DS library of games.

This is why -- other than the fact that purchased it for 199€ instead of 249€ -- I bought one. I had the choice of either getting a DSi and having a large library of games but being limited to the 'current gen' graphics (and let's be honest; while many DS games are fun the graphics are underwhelming to the point of it being impossible to have nice racing games on the system). Or I could spend a bit more and not only be able to play the good DS games but also play games with 'next generation' graphics too.

Same. mine was $180, after "upgrading".
love it, plays my 35 DS games and new ones and i take it just about everywhere. been enjoying the netflix over the weekend too. the device is excellent, just not selling well because of the price. Nintendo should drop the price in Sept-Oct, IMO. Black friday at the LATEST, but i guess we will see.

Still doesnt make it a bad product in anyway. In fact, its very awesome.

I'm still on the fence about the 3DS. I might get one if it has more games that interest me.

$250 for a handheld is just dumb. I would have thought Nintendo of all companies would have known this.

the 3D part is quite good as a marketing thing but the problem is that Nintendo just thinks it can ask any amount of money for the device. I'm not to sure if this step will prove to be a success(regardless of the library of games).

There is a bad timing thing with economy being in a slump more or less everywhere. Nintendo can deliver on 1st party titles but from what i have seen on the DS the 3rd party titles which are ports from other systems tend to royally suck.

Back