Nintendo DS = Nintendo 64 Portable?

adamadekat

Gawd
My friend and I are having a debate about this. I am saying that the Nintendo DS is basically the Nintendo 64 in a portable version. Evidence proving this is Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart, which have the same graphics as the originals on 64.

He is saying that the Nintendo DS is completely different. My other friend actually thinks the DS is a Gamecube portable...So, who's right?

A DS = A DS

Its more simular in terms of graphics to the N64 over a Gamecube, but it is in no way a portable N64 or GC.

You could say that the original Gameboy was a portable Nintendo Entertainment System, but that wouldn't be quite right either.

The PSP however is like a portable PS2.

I'd say you were right. The graphics are great, just not super 3D. There is still a lot of pixelization, etc. that doesn't come with the Gamecube. It's a great system, but not of GameCube quality.

Its closer to 64 than anything. Its a little less powerful, theres virtually no AA or AF where as N-64 had it. Its no where near what gamecube can do.

You were both wrong, does either the n64 or GCN utilize dual screens or a touch screen? Does either one support free online play via wifi (PSO doesn't count)? DS is someting totally different...

ScreamingBroccoli said:
You were both wrong, does either the n64 or GCN utilize dual screens or a touch screen? Does either one support free online play via wifi (PSO doesn't count)? DS is someting totally different...

I doubt he was talking completely the same. He was comparing the similarities to the graphics, etc., not the actual systems themselves.

There about the same but I think the N64 version of Mario 64 and Mario Kart look much better.

The 64 has a wee-bit more power then the D.S. Until I see Zelda on the DS (the one that was on 64 rawked) then I'll probably get one.

Slartibartfast said:
Yeah but I don't think the 64 could do as good 2D graphics as the ds does.

I think they both have 4 megs of RAM. The reason why 2d seems to be better is the lack of texture filtering, which looks horrible on sprites. Then again, no texture filtering = shimmering and other nastiness in 3d environments.

I've played Mario Kart DS on a demo machine, and it runs smoother than Mario Kart 64 and has fully polygonal characters, whereas MK64 used polys only for the environment geometry.

Think of it this way... the N64 had to render 640x480... The DS only renders 2xx x 1xx or something like that. So while it's technically slightly less powerful (almost the same), it has to do less work to make things look better. What you don't see much of on the DS, though, is AA/AF. I've seen some better looking games on the DS, than the N64, though.

There is no texture filtering on the DS, so textures are "blocky".

adamadekat said:
My friend and I are having a debate about this. I am saying that the Nintendo DS is basically the Nintendo 64 in a portable version. Evidence proving this is Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart, which have the same graphics as the originals on 64.

He is saying that the Nintendo DS is completely different. My other friend actually thinks the DS is a Gamecube portable...So, who's right?

I would say.. that the graphics capabillities of a N64are slightly better than a DS.. it's not exacly a 64 because of the touch screen and all...

so because of the touch screen.. i would say.. no not a portable N64

Id say its graphical capabilties for its screens are more so then the N64. Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS both look better then their N64 counterparts (MK DS having a significant advantage, with both more detail and twice the framerate and draw rate).

Cali3350 said:
Id say its graphical capabilties for its screens are more so then the N64. Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS both look better then their N64 counterparts (MK DS having a significant advantage, with both more detail and twice the framerate and draw rate).

i see i see

The N64 had a 94MHz MIPS variant for a CPU, 4MB of RAM and some SGI desgined GPU. The DS runs a 67MHz ARM9 and a 33MHz ARM7 w/ 4MB of RAM. I Saw some specs quoted w/ the N64 getting 120k Polgons/sec while the DS gets 150k, but you know how benchmarks can go...

So they're very different platforms. The DS might be about as powerful as an N64, but it's very much a different hardware platform.

adamadekat said:

I hope not the n64 sucked imo. No rpgs, very limited variety of games etc...

Id like to see how well the ds could run killer insinct gold or zelda i dont think the ds could manage it but i hope to be proved wrong..... man if they made these games portable for the ds id buy another one! i agree with the above, the ds doesnt have as many pixels to worry about.

Rash said:
Id like to see how well the ds could run killer insinct gold or zelda i dont think the ds could manage it but i hope to be proved wrong..... man if they made these games portable for the ds id buy another one! i agree with the above, the ds doesnt have as many pixels to worry about.

tha would be an interesting sight... but i don't know if i just want a port of those games...

No kidding. Everytime I see Luke in a thread, it has something to do with bashing Nintendo products with no justification to the subject at hand.

Ameoba is right. Apples to oranges. However, the power *IS* close enough to be able to offer some kind of comparison. The DS has less to render, though, so it can push a few more polys... but many titles do not use texture filtering either. It's all up to the dev to use that power.

PS Mario Kart DS does NOT use the MK64 engine (nor does Animal Crossing WW use the original AC engine), and looks better than MK64 IMO.

steviep said:
No kidding. Everytime I see Luke in a thread, it has something to do with bashing Nintendo products with no justification to the subject at hand.

Ameoba is right. Apples to oranges. However, the power *IS* close enough to be able to offer some kind of comparison. The DS has less to render, though, so it can push a few more polys... but many titles do not use texture filtering either. It's all up to the dev to use that power.

PS Mario Kart DS does NOT use the MK64 engine (nor does Animal Crossing WW use the original AC engine), and looks better than MK64 IMO.
It's the truth, the n64 was a dissapointment compared to the snes and nes, it's not even close to being as good as snes. If you loved the n64 and it was an awesome system for you thats great. Imo it sucked compared to the snes.

I agree with you, in that the N64 was a disappointment in some areas, and could've been a lot better of a system. At the same time, the N64 redefined gaming in so many areas, and DEFINED it in others (Mario 64 ushered in 3D, basically, analog stick, Goldeneye redefining FPS genre, redefined party games in videogames with Mario Party, Zelda OOT considered the best game ever created by all press and most gamers... I could go on) . It may be "the truth" to you, but it's not so set in stone for other people.

To come into a thread, JUST so that you can say that the N64 sucked (which had nothing to do with the OP's subject) can easily be considered a flame, as have many of your other posts if you peer into your history. If you have something constructive to say about a subject, feel free to post. Hell, you can even say "N64 sucked ass IMO, but the DS is more than a portable N64" and at least you'd be somewhat on topic. But it would at least be helpful if you entered threads to contribute something - get what I'm saying?

stevie has a point....

another reason why i wouldn't call the DS a portable N64.. si becasue of the games.. a lot of the games on the DS are noting like the games on the N64.. in terms of the way the game is played..

Back