Nintendo "Could Shift Away from Home Consoles," Focus on Smartphone Games

I hope they do this honestly. Why? Because it would ultimately force them to also release on PlayStation and Xbox. So we would finally get Nintendo games on consoles that aren't running trash hardware. I love Nintendo games, but I'm absolutely sick and tired of the extremely outdated hardware and the shitty gimmicky controller's.

No thanks. If you like the games, what difference does the hardware make?

I think a big one, because they come with concepts to use and implement in gaming, some of which fail, other might not.. but they can only do that if they control and create the hardware.

No shit, but if you look at their financial info thats reinforces the fact they're not going anywhere.

If Nintendo stops making consoles/gaming devices, they are done. Financial strength just means their death will be slow.

If Nintendo stops making consoles/gaming devices, they are done. Financial strength just means their death will be slow.
I agree, with their focus diluted, and their vision lessened, it will be a slow process, but it will happen.

Droop consoles and go pc and ps and xbox. Bet they see a massive increase in sales. Nintendo probably has the most frist party games of anyone but they keep putting out crappy hardware eventually they're going to be so far behind and be irrelevant.

As I said before, they can still sell hardware peripherals and create software (both their strengths), without maintaining a separate console platform. Hell, they could even make hardware for open platforms and I'd bet they'd be successful.

Imagine if they launched the Switch as a full Android tablet - after all, its core hardware is exactly that being the Nvidia Shield Tablet. To that, Nintendo adds the Dock (meaning easy display on TV) , the JoyCons and connectors (fixing the gaming on mobile/tablet issue of not having quality controllers attached well etc.. in what is admittedly a great solution), and it has all the other core features of portable vs docked mode. By using a standard latest gen open Android OS with a Nintendo coat of paint (I'd even accept them offering a separate store app so long as they didn't block the loading of other stores like Google Play or F-Droid. I'd like to see them sell their software via other stores as well), users would be very happy as they'd both have access to Nintendo games, as well as all the typical Android applications they enjoy. I've long said that the Switch would make a fantastic Kodi device given its dock and GPU, and the whole thing makes a nice e-reader as well for those interested. Alas none of this came to fruition on the current Switch thanks to Nintendo's tunnel vision and sadly, them cracking down on homebrew eliminated one of the few great features of their devices where at least technically adept individuals could use homebrew without fear of hardware bans and the like so long as they didn't cheat during online gaming or whatnot.

Even or perhaps especially if they used commodity hardware instead of a separate platform, Nintendo would be quite successful with such a plan. There's nothing that requires them to solely stick to a limited, proprietary console platform - its simply tradition, fear of change,and fear of giving up total control. However, I think they'd go farther without these limitations. Nintendo designing their hardware/peripherals and software for open platforms, specifically the PC and (Android) would be a dream!

Did you seriously think about this before pressing submit? What difference does the hardware make? Well if the hardware makes no difference lets go back to using NES controllers across the board and simplify things, because hardware doesn't make a difference. Also lets go ahead and downgrade everything to Atari levels of hardware because it doesn't make a difference...

Jesus christ, this is the kind of stupid response I expect to read on reddit.

Did you seriously think about this before pressing submit? What difference does the hardware make? Well if the hardware makes no difference lets go back to using NES controllers across the board and simplify things, because hardware doesn't make a difference. Also lets go ahead and downgrade everything to Atari levels of hardware because it doesn't make a difference...

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. How's that XB1 X working out for you? Awesome hardware, bro. Maybe you ought to stick with Reddit...that's about your speed.

So far, nintendo has been a company, fairly brave to experiment with hardware, and to imprint their vision of gaming in their hardware.
It they lose this, they will die slowly.
No, nintendo is not going to have huge sales because they are available in Xbox or PC or whatever.
A lot of talk that will not translate in sales, everyone will be yeah, yeah, yeah.. then Red Redemption 8 comes out, and everyone forget Nintendo exists.. and so on, hit after hit, they will be like any other game publisher pushing titles for the lowest common denominator.
The only way I see Nintendo in other hardware is streaming, but this would also have a hardware component they should control, namely how you interact with the the game and such, in other words be it still offer use and implement peripherials and such, so in this manner they don't lose sight of attempting to offer a complete vision/experience, and take some risks and such.

I agree, I guess many people find a satisfactory "gaming" experience in rubbing fingers of a small filthy screen.
I can find something doing that... but its not great.

Its all part of the plan, all these companies will make a crappy product, push the hell out of it, have it around for three or four years and make everyone upset. Then when everyone has just about had enough, they'll come out with another console, people will embrace said company and product and the cycle will continue. Happens time and time again.

Back