Nintendo "Baffles" Market, Cuts Forecast by 33%

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently people are having panic attacks because Nintendo has cut its profit forecast by 33%. Understandably the move is a bit odd but can any company continue record sales for as long as Nintendo has?

Mr Kamide, who had been the only major analyst with a “sell” recommendation on Nintendo, said that, given how much the company speaks to retailers around the world, the downgrade could imply that “they know something big has gone wrong, and that people are not buying the machines”.

No way! You mean, the economy crashes and sales slow down!? Who'd a thunk it?

That said, Nintendo already owns a whopping 49.2% of the console market - one has to ask just how many more people actually want a Wii that don't already have one.

No way! You mean, the economy crashes and sales slow down!? Who'd a thunk it?

That said, Nintendo already owns a whopping 49.2% of the console market - one has to ask just how many more people actually want a Wii that don't already have one.

They still make money on game sales since console makers take a cut. Course if this were any other manufactuers having lots of market share and slowing console sales would be a good thing. Sony for instance takes a loss on the ps3.

The Wii broke all kinds of sales records during the holidays despite a weak economy. Why such a sudden change now?

one has to ask just how many more people actually want a Wii that don't already have one.

Very true. Now that they have the hardware out there, you would think at some point they would start concentrating on the games.

Maybe if anyone other than Nintendo bothered to make a game worth owning for the Wii I'd buy another of their shit games.

In other news, the government forecast shows a continued expansion of itself.

The Wii quickly loses its appeal, I'm not surprised by this news.

Maybe if anyone other than Nintendo bothered to make a game worth owning for the Wii I'd buy another of their shit games.

Madworld, check it out...

This is not surprising, every console maker took cost-cutting measures. Sony is laying off like 16,000 people. MS, who still turned a profit, is planning on laying off 6400 people over the course of 18 months. All Nintendo had to do was lower its forecast. Did people think the whole Yen thing was only going to affect Sony? The only market that Nintendo baffled was the idiots that actually listen to analysts.

It's not baffling. Both Sony and Nintendo, being Japanese companies, are getting killed by the exchange rate and the current state of the Yen. Despite that Nintendo is still forecasting 2.5 billion dollars in profit.

"Saturation."

Good luck with that theory- Wii's (and the fit package) are still in such high demand here that they give out numbers at the door for the limited numbers available *if they should happen to be shipped in that day*

I watch 57 units get sold out in an hour, on a day the state was closed down with a snowstorm.

The Wii quickly loses its appeal, I'm not surprised by this news.

I've enjoyed my Wii since I got it launch day, as has my family (sister bought one after playing mine, as did my cousins - all thoroughly enjoy the Wii), and friends (several have since bought a Wii and love it)

Too much Wii bashing from fans of other consoles who are getting their asses kicked.

Does it really matter who publishes the game? Just because Nintendo makes better games than MS or Sony, and don't have to rely on third party publishers for most of it's games is hardly a reason to not get a Wii.

Besides there are plenty of third party games:
World of Goo
Zack & Wiki
Call of Duty: World at War
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Rock Band 2
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Guitar Hero World Tour
Boom Blox
No More Heroes
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
de Blob

Too much Wii bashing from fans of other consoles who are getting their asses kicked.

Does it really matter who publishes the game? Just because Nintendo makes better games than MS or Sony, and don't have to rely on third party publishers for most of it's games is hardly a reason to not get a Wii.

World of Goo
Zack & Wiki
Call of Duty: World at War
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Rock Band 2
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
Guitar Hero World Tour
Boom Blox
No More Heroes
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008
de Blob

remove gamecube games, ps2 games, and multiplatform games, and laughably inferior ports of multiplat games especially.

/lol at that list.

The problem is, the first party games only get released sparsely through a year or two, and even then,they already have a Mario platformer, a SSB, a Kart, a Soccer, a Baseball, a Tennis, a Zelda, and a Metroid. Are they making follow-ups? Or is the library now complete much like it was on the Gamecube? The Nintendo game front has been pretty quiet since their last great game... Wii Music.

-___-

Not to say that the other two are any better, but they definitely have a more solid ratio of good to bad third party games.

remove gamecube games, ps2 games, and multiplatform games, and laughably inferior ports of multiplat games especially.

/lol at that list.

The term "sour grapes" comes to mind reading some of these posts.

I've enjoyed my Wii since I got it launch day, as has my family (sister bought one after playing mine, as did my cousins - all thoroughly enjoy the Wii), and friends (several have since bought a Wii and love it)

After I completed Metroid and got to the final bracket in Mario Kart, the Wii lost its appeal for myself ... and many others.

The term "sour grapes" comes to mind reading some of these posts.

Some people are sad:( that their broken down POS RRODbox is getting stomped into the ground by the Wii. But despite all the sour grapes that there supposedly isn't enough third party games for it, Wii games are outselling everything else.

I love how all you Wii people claim everyone else is jealous! What the hell? Who cares how many consoles have sold? Why do I care if more people have a Wii than a PS3?! Does that mean it's better? I bet more people have a Celeron than an i7 right now, OOOHHH I'm SOOOO JEALOUS. I don't friggin' care. The idea that Nintendo is "stomping" our consoles into the ground is retarded. I have just as much fun on my PS3 as I ever did and nothing Nintendo will release can change that. I'd much rather have 5 Sony games than 10 Nintendo games, it's all a matter of preference... Why so competitive?

completely sold out for 3 holidays in a row.

what the f are you talking about?

He's probably talking about losing it's appeal once you've bought it. The general Wii hype is alive and well but I don't know anyone who actually uses their Wii but I know many who've bought one.

/lol at that list.

GHWT and RB2 are both complete ports. I've played both games on both a 360 and Wii, and they are basically identical. The only difference is that the Wii has poorer graphics. GHWT on the Wii, however, has the Mii freestyle feature that the others lack.

World of Goo - I used to play Lemmings on my computer, give me my mouse back shitty wii remote.
Zack & Wiki - What?
Call of Duty: World at War - AHAHHAHAHAH, I own a gaming PC & an X-Box, why would I play this crap on the Wii?
Resident Evil 4 - Great game on the PS2 FOUR YEARS AGO, shitty game on the Wii
Okami - Huh?
Rock Band 2 - My X-Box has X-Box live and better graphics
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - Ditto
Guitar Hero World Tour - DITTO
Boom Blox - Huh? Is this another game like Bejeweled?
No More Heroes - Huh?
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - I like Madden and that's another reason my X-Box is better
de Blob - Huh?

Your list is shitty, that's what people are saying.

Meaning what? Are you saying that anything I said about the list is untrue?

I'm saying Nintendo got it right- They made a console that is fun to play without getting lost in "specmenship" some fanboyz live for.

If your in business you wish to appeal to the largest pool of people as possible, Nintendo has done this in spectacular form. Some of you look at this as a negative!!

I already have a device that beats the crap out of a PS3 or a XBOX 360, It's called a PC!

Why would I want to buy a stunted PC in a box? That is what a PS3 and 360 is.

I played call of duty 5 on the wii last week and that was a joke! Compared to the 360 the graphics sucked, the controls sucked. The wii is for "non tech savy idiots" who want it for the name sake of having it in their living rooms. The 360 has wayyyy more staying power than the wii. I am not even going to start talking about the pray station.

I'm saying Nintendo got it right- They made a console that is fun to play without getting lost in "specmenship" some fanboyz live for.

If your in business you wish to appeal to the largest pool of people as possible, Nintendo has done this in spectacular form. Some of you look at this as a negative!!

I already have a device that beats the crap out of a PS3 or a XBOX 360, It's called a PC!

Why would I want to buy a stunted PC in a box? That is what a PS3 and 360 is.

Bad logic is bad. If you like games, you have consoles and a pc. There are plenty of games I can't play on my pc, so I have a wii, a ps3, and a 360 in addition to my gaming pc. Why would you brag about your pc being all you need for gaming, and shit on the 360 and ps3, but not the wii? They're all consoles.

What we were saying is that this list was a joke.

So your response to "no games other than first party" is a game that hasn't even been released yet?

Sure is an exhaustive list....:rolleyes:

Dude, I gave you a title you might enjoy since you complain about nothing being available. I was only trying to help you find a way to enjoy your console. There is no need to be a pussy about it.

Dude, I gave you a title you might enjoy since you complain about nothing being available. I was only trying to help you find a way to enjoy your console. There is no need to be a pussy about it.

You seem to be the one crying about it.

The wii is for "non tech savy idiots" who want it for the name sake of having it in their living rooms.

Nothing like insulting a number of Hardforum board members eh?

The 360 has wayyyy more staying power than the wii. I am not even going to start talking about the pray station.

<chuckle>

Like the original XBOX eh?

Bottom line is Nintendo is making a splendid profit off each unit and blowing them out the as fast as they can...

Back