Nintendo Announces Famicom Mini Console For Japan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Japanese version of the NES, the Family Computer Disk System, is now getting the miniature treatment. It will be missing a couple of games from the American version like Final Fantasy, but other titles such as River City Random will take their place.

Japanese gamers wondering why the rest of the world gets all of the fun of the NES Mini in November can rest easy —Nintendo just announced a similar retro console based on the Famicom, the original Japanese version of the NES released two years earlier in 1983. The full name of the console in Japan is actually "Nintendo Classic Mini: Family Computer," suggesting it may be part of a series. Like the NES Mini, the Famicom Mini comes pre-loaded with a selection of 30 8-bit games; unlike the NES Mini, it uses controllers hardwired to the console so they can't be used on anything else.

so stupid...there have been so many of these ypes of things for other consoles but Nintendo start making one and its like an Apple product and its so super amazing and new/

so stupid...there have been so many of these ypes of things for other consoles but Nintendo start making one and its like an Apple product and its so super amazing and new/

Maybe it's because the Nintendo games from the 80's and 90's were actually worth a damn compared to the other consoles?

And which other mini-consoles are you referring to? Sony and Microsoft make mini versions of their current consoles but there haven't been a ton of companies making small consoles with their classic games built in. The only ones I can think of are the crappy rip off systems they used to sell in malls before the game companies came down on them for violating copyrights.

I want an SNES system, that also includes Super Game Boy support.
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Mega ManX, Zelda:LTTP, Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, etc...

Maybe it's because the Nintendo games from the 80's and 90's were actually worth a damn compared to the other consoles?

And which other mini-consoles are you referring to? Sony and Microsoft make mini versions of their current consoles but there haven't been a ton of companies making small consoles with their classic games built in. The only ones I can think of are the crappy rip off systems they used to sell in malls before the game companies came down on them for violating copyrights.

there were TONS of amazing games on other consoles.

there were atari ones, Game gear/SMS, Genesis.

It's like nobody heard of emulators.

People have heard of emulators, not everyone wants to put in the effort to bother. There are tons of people who played videogames in the 80's, aren't "tech people" and would rather simply plunk down a few bucks and plug something into the TV rather than download stuff, look for ROMs, etc.

Except that Nintendo is likely doing the same with this little device. If you watched the video, Nintendo has even downloaded the roms from pirated sties to be used in their store.

Indeed. Yes, NEStopia, like most emulators, needs a better front-end but it's EASY to use to great results. Games look incredible

Indeed. Yes, NEStopia, like most emulators, needs a better front-end but it's EASY to use to great results. Games look incredible
I use RetroArch which is kinda nice since it shows icons for the games and works with gamepads, plus it works with pretty much any emulator so long as there's a core. There are probably better looking front ends, but RetroArch works on Linux and that's why I use it.

Like mostly the legal part.
Emulators are legal. Again watch the video and learn about the sad history of lawsuits that failed.

I use RetroArch which is kinda nice since it shows icons for the games and works with gamepads, plus it works with pretty much any emulator so long as there's a core. There are probably better looking front ends, but RetroArch works on Linux and that's why I use it.

Thanks. My HTPC is running Linux and will try this thing tonight. I hope the GUI supports Xbox 360 pads. I am yet to find a proper MAME and Gens front ends for Linux :(

I also can't use both my wireless 360 pads with xboxdrv. Embedded Ubuntu driver is POS with wrong mappings and whatnot. At least on 14.04. Heard 16.04 has "improved" support but no one mentioned anything about my problem :(

Thanks. My HTPC is running Linux and will try this thing tonight. I hope the GUI supports Xbox 360 pads. I am yet to find a proper MAME and Gens front ends for Linux :(

I also can't use both my wireless 360 pads with xboxdrv. Embedded Ubuntu driver is POS with wrong mappings and whatnot. At least on 14.04. Heard 16.04 has "improved" support but no one mentioned anything about my problem :(
Here's how to install it. Once installed just update everything and install thumbnails for the consoles you want emulated. Then scan the directories where the roms sit and you'll see icons for the consoles as gamepads. I believe PCSX2 and Dolphin are the only two not included with it.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*

It works with the 360 wireless gamepad just fine in Linux, so long as you don't install xboxdrv. Here's what I found works for Xbox 360 gamepads on Ubuntu/Mint. You really don't even need to setup the gamepad for RetroArch cause the buttons are mapped well, though you can change it.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mdeslaur/steamos
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install steamos-xpad-dkms

I was thinking more about the distribution of ROM's. An emulator is useless without ROM's.
A minor issue really. For one, I have the CDs for the consoles and most emulators will work with the CD. Though I do go through the trouble to rip the CD/DVD into a ISO. Roms from cartridges are a different story, but if I need to I'll get my hands on a device to rip the roms myself. It's an extra expense I don't want to spend but if I need to I will do it. But the way I see it, if Nintendo went and downloaded the roms on-line for their emulators, I don't see why I can't? I own the cartridges, so it's not like I can't prove I own the game.

Regardless, the emulators isn't illegal itself, just the acquisition of the roms. With newer consoles like Wii, Wii U, PS3, and 360 you're better off ripping the iso yourself. Would be nice if someone had an all-in-one ripper where I could get the games off the cartridge or CD/DVD, but that doesn't exist. So each console needs a special method to extract the data, and you almost always need the console to do this.

Reactions: dgz
like this
But the way I see it, if Nintendo went and downloaded the roms on-line for their emulators, I don't see why I can't? I own the cartridges, so it's not like I can't prove I own the game.

I don't want to argue, but come on man, Nintendo owns the rights to those games. They can download them from anywhere they want.

I can't believe I'm this late to the party, and nobody else has made any comments about "River City Random"

Hey Ash, whatcha playin'?
Wiva ciddy Wandom

Hit the bad guy! No, don't throw a pie! This was the jump button last time I hit it, now it just makes me dance a jig? WHY DID I JUST BUY A KAZOO?!?

I don't want to argue, but come on man, Nintendo owns the rights to those games. They can download them from anywhere they want.
If you watched the video, the roms they use for their emulators are in .nes format. A format created by pirates to dump NES roms, using tools like this one.

You know what's odd is that I still have my NES games but no NES to play them? I even have Castlevania 2 signed by James Rolfe.
KazzoSm.jpg

If you watched the video, the roms they use for their emulators are in .nes format. A format created by pirates to dump NES roms, using tools like this one.

You know what's odd is that I still have my NES games but no NES to play them? I even have Castlevania 2 signed by James Rolfe.
KazzoSm.jpg

What a poser. James didn't even help develop the game what so ever.

when your company has nothing else to create then reverts back to 8 bit games on a tiny console.
you can find knock offs at malls and flea markets. heck.....some have sega and nes games all in one
beat that nintendo

Here's how to install it. Once installed just update everything and install thumbnails for the consoles you want emulated. Then scan the directories where the roms sit and you'll see icons for the consoles as gamepads. I believe PCSX2 and Dolphin are the only two not included with it.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install retroarch retroarch-* libretro-*

It works with the 360 wireless gamepad just fine in Linux, so long as you don't install xboxdrv. Here's what I found works for Xbox 360 gamepads on Ubuntu/Mint. You really don't even need to setup the gamepad for RetroArch cause the buttons are mapped well, though you can change it.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mdeslaur/steamos
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install steamos-xpad-dkms

Just wanted to say thanks, bruh. Valve's driver did the trick.

Back