Nintendo and the Wii-U games demonstrated at E3

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
Let me preface then by saying I've never bothered thinking about the Wii-U seriously, but the demos shown at E3 changed my mind. Xenoblade Chronicles X, Hyrule Warriors and the new Zelda game look stunning.

Couple the quality of the games coming out with low price of admission (The console itself), and you have a winner.

That being said, the wife has approved a Wii-U, and a 60-65" Vizio M series in the near future. :D

Yar, seems like general consensus is that Nintendo 'won' this year's E3. I doubt it will be the number one console, but I think it's safe to say that it won't be a company breaking disaster for Nintendo either.

So how many people were actually believing all the 'NINTENDO IS DEAD' garbage that this forum has had for the last year? They show a few new games for 2015 and suddenly it's the star that everyone is behind?

So how many people were actually believing all the 'NINTENDO IS DEAD' garbage that this forum has had for the last year? They show a few new games for 2015 and suddenly it's the star that everyone is behind?

Well, it took them a bit of time to play "catch up" to the current genre, I think. I never thought they were dead, I was just ambivalent towards the platform.

Hyrule Warriors looks like trash but then again I do not like those type of games(Dynasty Warriors). The new Zelda looks nice though, I would buy a Wii U if I can find one for $100 used on craigslist

I don't believe anyone suggested Nintendo is dead, they have a ton of money.

I happen to agree with Pachter when it comes to Nintendo and the Wii U. They won E3 in my eyes too, but they need their fans to put up or shut up as he says. Vote with your wallets and all that. If they already have then it's a done deal.

Only thing that "won" at E3 for me was No Man's Sky. Everything else is more of the same.

No Man's Sky will be epic if they deliver on what they are saying, I am skeptical though

It really just goes to show how pathetic of a state next gen consoles are in.

Let me preface then by saying I've never bothered thinking about the Wii-U seriously, but the demos shown at E3 changed my mind. Xenoblade Chronicles X, Hyrule Warriors and the new Zelda game look stunning.

Couple the quality of the games coming out with low price of admission (The console itself), and you have a winner.

That being said, the wife has approved a Wii-U, and a 60-65" Vizio M series in the near future. :D

Nice! That's a good pair. I have a Vizio 65" in my living room with my Wii U, and gaming HTPC attached. It's the perfect setup.

Nice! That's a good pair. I have a Vizio 65" in my living room with my Wii U, and gaming HTPC attached. It's the perfect setup.

Is it the 2014 model with FALD? That's what I'm aiming for, blacker blacks. $1400 is a steal, the equivalent Sony is over $2400 last I checked.

Once they get rid of the touchpad, motion control nonsense, and general gimmicks - I'll be 100% on board with Nintendo again. Until then, as much as it kills me, I'll be skipping this console.

That's just silly. The touchpad is great. It feels good as a gamepad, some games make good use of it with maps and inventory, and then of course playing off of the TV while someone's using it. They also have the Pro controller, which will work with most games. The touchpad isn't even necessary with many games, but the ones it's designed around work perfectly.

Is it the 2014 model with FALD? That's what I'm aiming for, blacker blacks. $1400 is a steal, the equivalent Sony is over $2400 last I checked.

Unfortunately I picked mine up in 2013. However, it's still not a bad screen. (I think it was in the $1200 range at the time.) Those newer ones look nice!

I got one more game coming for the Wii U and it is Bayonetta 2. Will wait to see if it is worth getting Zelda

Wii u pro controller is the best controller of this gen hands down.

That's just silly. The touchpad is great. It feels good as a gamepad, some games make good use of it with maps and inventory, and then of course playing off of the TV while someone's using it. They also have the Pro controller, which will work with most games. The touchpad isn't even necessary with many games, but the ones it's designed around work perfectly.

The touchpad is the biggest piece of junk. It is utterly useless and horrid. It is avoided like the plague in my house. The fight is always who gets stuck with the touchpad and who gets the pro controllers. It provides no functional benefit I've seen (SMB3DW and Mario Kart) and actually is a downgrade. The map for MK is on the touchpad, so you need to take your eyes off the screen if you want to see it. It's idiotic design. And if you're a player without a touchpad, no map for you. In SMB3DW all it does is a 2nd screen. So two of N's biggest games and the touchpad adds absolutely nothing of value.

They would have been far better off just shipping with pro controllers and using the extra savings to beef up the system a little.

I would disagree. Lacking analog triggers is a big loss. It is very good overall though. Comfortable.

I got one more game coming for the Wii U and it is Bayonetta 2. Will wait to see if it is worth getting Zelda

wait to see if Zelda is worth getting? You have a Nintendo console for gods sake and it'll likely be the biggest Zelda release this past decade. It should be a given.

best controller for the Wii U. I still far prefer to use my DS4 or Xbox one Controller.
That being said my Wii-U sits on my daughters 37" LCD in her bedroom. Wouldnt waste the space to put it on my 70" entertainment setup. Still never gets used. Bought MK8 thinking we'd get into that, but ho hum, just nothing that spectacular to get us using the Wii-U. I think she plays the Just Dance game or w/e more than anything.

Even the new zelda doesnt excite me enough to warrant reaaally using the system. Havent been able to finish a zelda game since the N64.

wait to see if Zelda is worth getting? You have a Nintendo console for gods sake and it'll likely be the biggest Zelda release this past decade. It should be a given.

you must have been under a rock..... the Wii Zelda game leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of respects

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were great. I preferred TP to SS, but I have zero complaints with either really.

you must have been under a rock..... the Wii Zelda game leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of respects

Only in the controller department. Skyward Sword would have been my favourite Zelda if it werent for the annoying as hell motion controls. And the game had some pacing issues too, some parts felt they dragged on too long. But playing through the story was so worth it.

Regarding TP luckily I only played the Gamecube version because I got it before I got the Wii. It was a damn good game IMHO. I did later try the Wii TP version. For about 10 minutes before giving up. Not because of the controllers but because the world being switched around confused the living shit out of me and I didnt really feel like playing it through it again at the time. :D

Yeah, I played both too, only I played the Wii version first all the way through. When I played the GC version (just because I wanted to see what was different) I was also confused by the mirroring. I got used to it though, and beat it on the GC too. It's really a good game. The atmosphere is great, the music is nice an moody, there's some decent humor in there too. In fact, I can't think of a single thing about it that I don't like. (except maybe collecting poe souls in the cave of ordeals) The pacing was good, there was a lot to do and discover.

Skyward sword was great too. I didn't have any issues at all with the motion controls except one stupid maneuver. When you need to do the spinning water dash thing while swimming but to get up over things on land/above water. It was clumsy in the extreme. Otherwise the controls felt pretty tight to me, and became second nature enough to fade out of my train of thought while playing.

I'm not a huge fan of motion controls, but I'm so used to them from these two games that I could honestly say I'd give them serious thought as an OPTION for a Wii U Zelda game. (once again, optional, like in MK8) I'd probably end up using traditional controls though. Or something like how they're handled on Wind Waker HD. It's a mix of traditional and motion. It's nice to be able to aim the hookshot and bow using motion controls. It's just faster to lock onto something, and you don't have to worry about tracking speed of a joystick or overshoot. I thought they handled that really well in the U edition.

My gaming combo this gen thus far has been wildly successful with the PC + WiiU.

edit. Editing out stupid comment.

Last edited:
My gaming combo this gen thus far has been wildly successful with the PC + WiiU.

Bonus : My wife doesn't need to approve my spending.

It really is a nice combo. I couldn't be much happier with it myself. The only thing bothering me right now is that I want the new Zelda game now. And a new Pilot Wings game.

It really is a nice combo. I couldn't be much happier with it myself. The only thing bothering me right now is that I want the new Zelda game now. And a new Pilot Wings game.

Ya, I'm currently playing MK8. I'm going to pickup Pushmo World whenever that goes on sale. I loved SM3DW, and my kid loves Rayman and Disney Infinity. I have a digital copy of Wind Waker HD I"m sitting on but the new Zelda looks rad.

Unfortunately I picked mine up in 2013. However, it's still not a bad screen. (I think it was in the $1200 range at the time.) Those newer ones look nice!

Pulled the trigger on a 60" E series today. Trying to source a local Zelda/Deluxe combo Wii U in the local area... All three local Gamestops (In a five mile radius) suddenly sold out.

Hmmmm....

Pulled the trigger on a 60" E series today. Trying to source a local Zelda/Deluxe combo Wii U in the local area... All three local Gamestops (In a five mile radius) suddenly sold out.

Hmmmm....

That doesn't surprise me. That seems to be the best package deal. The controller is all Zelda(ed) up, and it's an excellent update to the original. That's what made me buy a WiiU. I hadn't even heard that they were doing that package, and then walked by it. I immediately grabbed it.

That doesn't surprise me. That seems to be the best package deal. The controller is all Zelda(ed) up, and it's an excellent update to the original. That's what made me buy a WiiU. I hadn't even heard that they were doing that package, and then walked by it. I immediately grabbed it.

I should have been more specific. I was looking for the Zelda combo, but ALL of the deluxe combo units were OOS. Zelda, MK8, etc. She was surprised how quickly they ran out.

That being said, one of them does have a used copy of Xenoblade Chronicles available.

Back