Nintendo 3DS XL.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
The new 3DS XL handheld will run $199.99 and will launch in North America on August 19 -- the same day "New Super Mario Bros. 2" launches for the 3DS.

Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, said the super-sized version of the 3DS will come with an updated form factor and a battery that outperforms that of the original 3DS. That means the top screen will measure 4.88 inches while the bottom screen is 4.18 inches (compared to the current 3DS' 3.53-inch and 3.02-inch screens) and the battery will last 3.5 to 6.5 hours (compared to the 3 to 5 hours with the 3DS).

The 3DS XL also comes bundled with a 4GB SD card for storing downloadable content from Nintendo's eShop.

http://www.ingame.msnbc.msn.com/tec...nveils-super-sized-3ds-xl-game-machine-840499

WTF, I thought they shot this down? I guess it's a good thing I didn't get one yet.

A week(or 2) AFTER e3? how odd.
Looks nice, but i'll wait for the next revision. I think the size is fine the way it is, but it could use a 2nd analog.

tXsyG.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested, but mostly as a virtual console device and not for any new games. It's too expensive for me to impulse purchase, so I will continue to wait.

I have to agree, two weeks after e3 to announce this? Kinda strange.

Bigger screens ...ok. How about more games??? Christ the system hasn't been out that long and already a revision?

Put out BETTER and MORE games , stop worrying about the small stuff. You've already got the lead and a comfortable one Nintendo. Stop trying to one up constantly.

I view bigger screens as just a choice, I think its good, pick screen size then color.

Everyone wants bigger, I'd prefer the larger screen over the older smaller screen, plus the increase in battery life is a huge plus as well.

For those curious about the timing, remember they were all about the Wii U announcment at e3. My guess is they didnt want to announce this to take anything away from that whole deal.

Bigger screen is cool, but at the same resolution it just makes stuff look even more pixelated. It was the same deal with the DSi XL or whatever.

I might look into one of these. I like the DS line for the quick gaming sessions, and the cool games (Mario, etc.). I was torn between the old DS XL and the 3DS. Now, I can get both in one.

Looks good to me. Sure, no second analog stick, but I'm not too upset over it. Still some amazing games out for it!

Yar, think I'll pick one up too. I always found that my hands would cramp up on the smaller form factor, so hopefully this larger size will alleviate that issue.

Where is the 2nd stick? Cant believe it aint present..

Neither do a lot of people. To get a second analog stick people had to attach that big ugly plastic abomination to the original 3DS. Now we get a bigger revision which still doesnt have the second stick. Obviously the original 2nd stick attachment isnt compatible, instead we have to attach even bigger hunk of plastic!
What were they thinking!? :confused:

Though honestly, not a lot of games use the second analog stick yet but that may change.

Neither do a lot of people. To get a second analog stick people had to attach that big ugly plastic abomination to the original 3DS. Now we get a bigger revision which still doesnt have the second stick. Obviously the original 2nd stick attachment isnt compatible, instead we have to attach even bigger hunk of plastic!
What were they thinking!? :confused:

Though honestly, not a lot of games use the second analog stick yet but that may change.

MGS3, Resident Evil Revelations and Kid Icarus Uprising are 3 games I know that greatly benefit from a second analog already. I'm going to guess the new Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter when they are released as well.

god damn what a stupid decision from nintendo... INCLUDE THE GODDAMN CIRCLE PAD IN THE DESIGN!

They say it would fracture the market, but I still don't understand why they can't just force all games that pass through licensing to have a control scheme that doesn't need the second stick. Reject the game if it doesn't have the base control scheme. Then you don't end up with a divided market.

Then, if developers want to add code for the second stick then that is fine, but they still have to have the base controls. I'd rather have some games not make use of the second analog stick than to forgo it completely.

Iwata on why 3DS XL lacks a second circle pad

"Attaching a second analogue stick is possible but it would have made the system even bigger. It perhaps puts a burden on people that really want that second stick, [but] it’s a call we had to make and these people will have to live with it. When we looked at the design of the 3DS XL we had to look at various factors. One was battery life, one was the overall size of the unit, and we had to make some trade-offs. The choice, if we were going to include the second analogue stick, was to reduce the size of the battery or make the unit much bigger.

"

Comes out tomorrow looking forward to picking one up along with the New Super Mario Bros.

Comes out tomorrow looking forward to picking one up along with the New Super Mario Bros.

ah yes, of course. all things nintendo must release on sunday for whatever reason....
i might go check one out, doubtful on "upgrading" though. i still dont consider this an upgrade without the 2nd analog, but that size has started to grow on me....

Not sure if I want to pick one up yet. Sold my DS Lite a while back because I never played it aside from the rare road trip but I am really liking a lot of the 3DS games.

I decided to buy one of these since there are some games I'm interested in and the 3D is fun. Also, my Vita, while being a technologically wonderful piece of equipment, is struggling hard to keep my interest with the uninspired games for it. I would have to say I'm really enjoying this 3DS XL so far, but the real test will be if I'm still playing it in a month. I'm pretty sure I will be since Code of Princess (Engrish ftw) is coming out in October and I can now play my endless rounds of Etrian Odyssey on it (I've been playing the first one for about 2 years now and still have 2 and 3 to play, lol) with a nice, larger screen.

I decided to buy one of these since there are some games I'm interested in and the 3D is fun. Also, my Vita, while being a technologically wonderful piece of equipment, is struggling hard to keep my interest with the uninspired games for it. I would have to say I'm really enjoying this 3DS XL so far, but the real test will be if I'm still playing it in a month. I'm pretty sure I will be since Code of Princess (Engrish ftw) is coming out in October and I can now play my endless rounds of Etrian Odyssey on it (I've been playing the first one for about 2 years now and still have 2 and 3 to play, lol) with a nice, larger screen.

Gravity Rush is a great Vita game. Next week you can play 100 PS1 classics on the Vita with update 1.8.

Back