Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection- coming to PC

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Team Ninja’s Ninja Gaiden trilogy — the modern incarnation that stars master ninja Ryu Hayabusa — is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows PC (via Steam), and Xbox One on June 10th...Publisher Koei Tecmo revealed the news during a Nintendo Direct presentation on Wednesday

The Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection will include Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, as well as all DLC, costumes, and game modes...

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/17/22288083/ninja-gaiden-trilogy-nintendo-switch-release-date

Last edited:
This is great news. It's one of my favorite game series', but all of my copies are on different systems. Several of which I no longer even have. It'll be nice to have 'em all on Steam.
For what it's worth, the version of the 3rd game on the WiiU ("Razor's Edge") was insanely tough. I remember people claiming the original for PS3 and 360 was a cakewalk. The WiiU version of 3 was harder than the previous two and is one of the tougher games I can recall. Unfortunately it was also ugly as hell and a little clunky on that system. I don't expect a ton of improvements, but upscaling and evening out the performance will help a lot.

Nice. Definitely will grab it, though I question if I can finish them since my reflexes are definitely not as good as they use to be. But I do remember finishing the first one on the original XBox (IIRC). Glad to finally get it on the PC :)

Nice....never got very far on the first one because I found it brutally difficult.
I played NG Black on original Xbox when it came out. I could not get past the first boss. I am ecstatic to take another shot at it.

This is great news. It's one of my favorite game series', but all of my copies are on different systems. Several of which I no longer even have. It'll be nice to have 'em all on Steam.
For what it's worth, the version of the 3rd game on the WiiU ("Razor's Edge") was insanely tough. I remember people claiming the original for PS3 and 360 was a cakewalk. The WiiU version of 3 was harder than the previous two and is one of the tougher games I can recall. Unfortunately it was also ugly as hell and a little clunky on that system. I don't expect a ton of improvements, but upscaling and evening out the performance will help a lot.

I've always heard that the first 2 games were the best and most challenging ones and the 3rd game wasn't as good...

I played NG Black on original Xbox when it came out. I could not get past the first boss. I am ecstatic to take another shot at it.

Prime example of a "weed out" boss. That first encounter is one of the toughest in the whole game. Especially considering how early it is. I never did understand why they did that. You don't even learn anything from that fight that makes you a better player. It's tough just for the sake of locking 90% of the game down.

I've always heard that the first 2 games were the best and most challenging ones and the 3rd game wasn't as good...
That's supposedly true with the original version of NG3. The reviews were dismal and people said it was way too easy. The version on the WiiU is apparently almost like a totally different game. It's still not as good as NG1 or 2, but it's at least okay. It's way harder than either, though.

Me too lol. That boss pissed me off so much. I tried for like 2 hour straight to beat him and never pick the game up again.

That's supposedly true with the original version of NG3. The reviews were dismal and people said it was way too easy. The version on the WiiU is apparently almost like a totally different game. It's still not as good as NG1 or 2, but it's at least okay. It's way harder than either, though.

so the version of NG3 being released on PC is the newer version?...for the first 2 games they list them as the 'Sigma' versions which I'm assuming is the newer, better versions but for NG3 it doesn't show as Sigma

so the version of NG3 being released on PC is the newer version?...for the first 2 games they list them as the 'Sigma' versions which I'm assuming is the newer, better versions but for NG3 it doesn't show as Sigma

Yup. The Sigma versions for 1 and 2 are the final revisions. The first game had like 3-4 updates. It went from Ninja Gaiden, to Black, to Sigma, to Sigma Plus. Sigma Plus was only on the Vita and didn't really add anything notable except a couple visual items and touch/gyro controls. The Sigma upgrade included new weapons, a few additional missions as Rachel, and some balance tweaks.
NG2 only went from the original to Sigma and Sigma Plus (for the Vita again). I actually never played anything but the launch version, so some of this one will be new to me.
NG3 only went from the launch version to Razor's Edge. RE was a WiiU exclusive for a little while, but they ported it to the other systems later.

My friend was able to get into the NG Master Tournament levels of the game...me couldn't get past the first area, on the lowest difficulty, before rage quitting.

I wonder now that I have better timing, thanks to Demon Souls / Bloodborne how I would do, but wont be spending any cash on it. So much nostalgia though!

gameplay always trumps graphics but some of the graphics in that PC announcement video look really dated...was that from the older versions or the newer PC one?...they should give it a bit of an updated visual polish and shine...doesn't have to be a full remaster but at least some upgrades

My friend was able to get into the NG Master Tournament levels of the game...me couldn't get past the first area, on the lowest difficulty, before rage quitting.

I wonder now that I have better timing, thanks to Demon Souls / Bloodborne how I would do, but wont be spending any cash on it. So much nostalgia though!
If you're decent at Dark Souls, I think it'll help you. It's faster paced, but following similar concepts. You have to know weapon ranges/speeds, and the bosses are fought in a similar manner.

The best two hints I can give you are to use these two attacks: Flying Swallow and Izuna Drop. Both moves work really well but only with normal sized swords.
The Flying Swallow is done by pressing jump+weak attack at the exact same time. Ryu will do this little air dash type of move. If you press strong attack during this air dash, Ryu will streak forward, slash enemies, and usually end up behind them. You can abuse the hell out of this move in tons of situations. Seriously. They nerfed it a bit in the sequels, but it's overpowered in NG1. The boss everyone struggles with, Alma, even gets eaten up by this move. I think you're actually invincible while doing it, but some enemies can block it and counter-attack.

The Izuna Drop is done by hitting weak attack, strong attack (which will launch the enemy), 3 weak attacks in the air, and a final strong attack to air suplex them down to the ground. Basically just run up and hit X,Y, X, X, X, Y. There's another version they added in NG Sigma where you hit X, Y, X, X, X, X instead. That makes you finish with a Flying Swallow slash rather than a suplex. Those combos can be used in all 3 games over and over. The last hits = good for clearing crowds or escaping, too.

Personally I think Dark/Demon Souls is the opposite of this series. I remember I was so full of myself because I actually finished NG1 that when I played Demon Souls I just hated it. Demon Souls felt more punishing because of the limited attacks due to stamina so you had to be more precise when attacking/countering. Also the whole die and go back to the beginning and you lose the souls if you can't retrieve it before you die again aspect made me loath the Souls game originally. Though now that I am older and slower, I know I am going to feel opposite because I still love the Souls games but I now don't really like the faster games like Seikro which felt more like NG to me combat wise.

This is relevant to my interests (even though I remember it being weeping and gnashing of teeth difficult.)

I don't think anything in the first two Ninja Gaiden games was as tough as a normal play through Dark Souls. That's not even counting the optional super hard Dark Souls DLC bosses and such. The first boss and Alma are pretty challenging, but no worse than Havel or Sif. The end areas of both games can be cheesed with Ninpo, which is kinda like a screen clearing super move. What Lito mentioned about not having to manage stamina is true. You can basically go hog wild with all of your moves at will. You also don't really have to block much. I barely ever did. You can evade almost anything without having to, and enemies love to grab when you try.

Personally I think Dark/Demon Souls is the opposite of this series. I remember I was so full of myself because I actually finished NG1 that when I played Demon Souls I just hated it. Demon Souls felt more punishing because of the limited attacks due to stamina so you had to be more precise when attacking/countering. Also the whole die and go back to the beginning and you lose the souls if you can't retrieve it before you die again aspect made me loath the Souls game originally. Though now that I am older and slower, I know I am going to feel opposite because I still love the Souls games but I now don't really like the faster games like Seikro which felt more like NG to me combat wise.

the Ninja Gaiden series seems more comparable to Nioh versus Dark Souls/From Software games

I don't think I've ever touched any of the online functionality in those games. I remember there being trials and online scoreboards, but I don't think I ever even attempted them.

Why Ninja Gaiden Black won’t be part of Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection

Fumihiko Yasuda, producer on Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, told Polygon in an email interview that earlier versions of some Ninja Gaiden games were unsalvageable due to data loss..."The data we have left from Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 are in various pieces to the point that we were unable to salvage them," Yasuda said. "However, when we worked on Sigma and Sigma 2, we went and collected as much of that data as possible and organised it. And since we could utilise this data, that's why we chose the Sigma games."...

https://www.polygon.com/22358113/ninja-gaiden-master-collection-games-interview-data-loss-team-ninja

The Ninja Gaiden collection is a barebones PC port, locked to 60 fps

I asked producer Fumihiko Yasuda if the Master Collection's PC port would include features like 120 fps support and ultrawide resolutions. "The Steam version doesn't have advanced graphics options, but runs at 1080p, 60fps, and if hardware conditions are met it will automatically run in 4K and 60fps"

Yasuda also said that the Steam port only works with a controller, and does not have keyboard/mouse support...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ninja-gaiden-collection-is-a-barebones-pc-port-locked-to-60-fps/

The Ninja Gaiden collection is a barebones PC port, locked to 60 fps

I asked producer Fumihiko Yasuda if the Master Collection's PC port would include features like 120 fps support and ultrawide resolutions. "The Steam version doesn't have advanced graphics options, but runs at 1080p, 60fps, and if hardware conditions are met it will automatically run in 4K and 60fps"

Yasuda also said that the Steam port only works with a controller, and does not have keyboard/mouse support...

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-ninja-gaiden-collection-is-a-barebones-pc-port-locked-to-60-fps/
RIP

Hmmmm. I guess I probably need to see what the game looks like running at 4k/60 as-is. Most of those things I don't care about...but "doesn't have advanced graphics options" scares me a little. The Resident Evil 4 HD remake was essentially an old game running at a higher resolution/framerate and it's shockingly still good. This is 3 full games that I no longer have access to as well. This is pretty disappointing, but I might still get it anyway.

The thought of playing Ninja Gaiden with a KB/M setup hurts my soul, but it's odd not to include it at all. It's not like it would take much effort. Those Japanese developers are all about "my way or the highway" when it comes to additional functionality in their games.

The thought of playing Ninja Gaiden with a KB/M setup hurts my soul, but it's odd not to include it at all. It's not like it would take much effort. Those Japanese developers are all about "my way or the highway" when it comes to additional functionality in their games.
No, they just don't put any effort into it since PC gaming is such a small market in Japan.

people said the same thing about the Dark Souls PC ports (especially the first game) but I found it to be perfectly fine...pretty much any game where people say a controller is 'required' over KB/M I found the total opposite...you just need to remap keys...I dominate the Souls games with KB/M so I don't buy that any game (outside of racing or flight sims) 'needs' a controller

even Nioh has KB/M support so I don't know why they couldn't add it to Ninja Gaiden

people said the same thing about the Dark Souls PC ports (especially the first game) but I found it to be perfectly fine...pretty much any game where people say a controller is 'required' over KB/M I found the total opposite...you just need to remap keys...I dominate the Souls games with KB/M so I don't buy that any game (outside of racing or flight sims) 'needs' a controller

even Nioh has KB/M support so I don't know why they couldn't add it to Ninja Gaiden

No doubt. There's no reason it can't work. Hell, there are a few people that play fighting games at EVO with a keyboard. I just hate the idea, personally. IMO, the keyboard is a means for typing that people adopted for gaming. I don't use it any more than I have to.

No, they just don't put any effort into it since PC gaming is such a small market in Japan.

It's both of these things having lived there. There is a huge "see it in the artists vision" there where they are dead set that they have an idea how it should be played and that's how you are going to play it. This applies to other things as well, a lot of fancier places to eat or get drinks are "whatever the hell the chef wants to serve you and how" and it's generally accepted the creator knows best. Then yeah there is also the issue that PC isn't really a thing there. It's sort of the niche hentai/visual novel/dating sim games people play alone in cyber/anime bars or alone in their bedroom and that's it.

There were some freaks back in UT99 that competed competitively on a controller of all things so yeah it's always "possible". I still want the 2d ones remade, and I'd use a controller for those though.

1619115961846.png

might combine after that.

I was excited for this collection initially, but as time passes (and as we learn how little effort is going into it), my opinion is changing. The HL video is showing a LOT of the 3rd game and not very much of the first one...which is pretty old, but is the best of the 3 by a wide margin IMO. They little they've shown looks pretty rough.
I still want these games since I no longer have my old consoles, though. At this point I think I'll probably use CDKeys and snag 'em via a very deep discount.

Back