NiMH AAA batteries in an Alkaline AAA charger?

jabaka

n00b
Does anyone know what result I can expect from putting NiMH AAA batteries in an alkaline charger?
La Crosse Technology, in their infinite wisdom, used rechargeable Alkaline batteries in their Solar Wind Speed/Direction instrument (model TX63U-IT). Not having any rechargeable alkaline AAA batteries I used NiMH batteries. It seems to be working fine but I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is going to blow up in my face or should I pursue obtaining 2 rechargeable Alkaline batteries?

There is a really old alkaline rechargable (RAM) - Rayovac sold them under Renewal brand for a while, other brands were EnviroCell and Pure Energy. They really sucked for cycle life though and I never saw them with a lot of wide spread use.

https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-PS2-Renewal-Power-Station/dp/B001XBJLHS/

That said, you'll probably be ok switching over to NiMH. I'm sure charge curves are different, but voltages are going to be similar, you just won't get great life out of the NiMH. Odds are they just have the battery hooked directly up to a solar panel with just a diode in there anyway and there is no actual charging control.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone know what result I can expect from putting NiMH AAA batteries in an alkaline charger?
La Crosse Technology, in their infinite wisdom, used rechargeable Alkaline batteries in their Solar Wind Speed/Direction instrument (model TX63U-IT). Not having any rechargeable alkaline AAA batteries I used NiMH batteries. It seems to be working fine but I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is going to blow up in my face or should I pursue obtaining 2 rechargeable Alkaline batteries?
I use a pure energy alkaline charger with my nimh no prob. brian is right about life cycle on the alks, it sucks.

Hard to believe but it has been a year since I put NiMH into my Solar Wind Speed/Direction instrument. NiMHs are working fine. Not one hicup that I know of & still going strong.

Hard to believe but it has been a year since I put NiMH into my Solar Wind Speed/Direction instrument. NiMHs are working fine. Not one hicup that I know of & still going strong.
What NiMH did you use? Ikeas? Low or standard discharge?

What NiMH did you use? Ikeas? Low or standard discharge?
I do apologize for the delayed reply time, I don't monitor this forum very closely. I used Powerex brand NiMH AAA batteries with a minimum capacity of 900 mAh, max capacity of 1000 mAh, standard discharge. Still going strong w/o any problems.

Last edited:
Good NiMH batteries last for ages. The technology gets bad press from all of the shitty cells sold on Amazon/Ebay, or come with the cheap solar lights with capacities as low as 150-300 mAh. I've bought solar lights that came with pre-exploded/leaking NiMH or even NiCD cells, or cells that had such a high internal resistance that they couldn't be charged. The battery would basically convert all current pumped into it into heat.

I have NiMH batteries that are years and years old from Energizer and Rayovac that still hold a useful charge and are better than crappy alkaline cells. Saves a lot of money in the long run.

Back