Nikon L16

OldDeadOne

[H]ard|Gawd
I realize that this is just a plain jane digital camera and some day I want to upgrade to something like a Nikon D5100,but we have hummingbirds at our feeder and wonder would it be possible to snap a pic of a hummingbird with this 7.0 camera? Some of the stuff you guys have on this forum is awesome,and I think I should have been cruising in here years earlier.

You might be able too.. but on the telezoom side it is fairly slow (f/4.7). And you would prob have to be fairly close...

If at all possible, even on point-and-shoot cameras, make sure you get one with a Manual-Setting mode so you can tweak all your settings separately, not just the standard auto and scene modes.

To shoot photos of a humming-bird, you'll need a camera with both a good telephoto range (somewhere in the 200+mm range) and a fast shutter speed. Humming-birds move their wings insanely fast, so to get a shot with no motion blur, you need a shutter speed around 1/300 of a second or faster. Then again, the motion-blur can look good too if done right.

It's the photographer that makes the photos, not the camera. So whatever you get, just take tons and tons of shots to practice your compositions, and you'll be taking great pics in no time.

Thanks for the suggestions,looks like a DSLR camera is in my future,I will be making an attempt to take a pic of a hummingbird at the feeder and post a pic(crappy or not) here. Looks like I'm gonna have to save for a good one.

Back