Nikon D40X DSLR Camera Body $729.99 shipped free

I don't see how this is a hot deal. Actually I would call it a rip off considering you can get the regular D40 w/ a decent kit lens for $500. Mods can you please move this thread to the rip off section? :rolleyes: Anyways I suppose you are just posting this as an FYI

I would really appreciate if you give us a link for the same camera for $500.

no it isn't the NEW D40x that is $500 w/ kit lens it is the D40 (no x) that came out right before x-mas. Very similar cameras D40 only has 6.1 megapixel and few other minor changes.

Nikon needed to come out with the 10megapixel style because newbs always think bigger numbers are better. In this case 10 is better than 6 but it really isn't that big of a difference, at least it isn't worth extra $200 plus not getting a kit lens.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...716&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I don't see how this is a hot deal. Actually I would call it a rip off considering you can get the regular D40 w/ a decent kit lens for $500. Mods can you please move this thread to the rip off section? :rolleyes: Anyways I suppose you are just posting this as an FYI

Are you serious? Link similar 10mp DSLR's that significantly beat that price...
Its cheaper than other retailers, there is alot of buzz about this camera...
I dont even really need to expound on this. Go away.

Why don't you be serious, this isn't a hot deal, you can almost get a D80 for this price, I'm sure you could find a good used D80 for less, if you don't need the extra functions of the D80 then get the D40, which is a much better deal.

Comparitively this may be a good price on the D40x but I'm just saying the D40x is a bad deal by itself.

Why don't you be serious, this isn't a hot deal, you can almost get a D80 for this price, I'm sure you could find a good used D80 for less, if you don't need the extra functions of the D80 then get the D40, which is a much better deal.

Comparitively this may be a good price on the D40x but I'm just saying the D40x is a bad deal by itself.

This is a hot deals thread, if we have to compare new to used competitors then there wouldn't be really much of a point?

It's cheaper than other retailers and it's a new product, I think that alone would make it a hot deal.

Dude, i told you my 10 is bigger than your 6 .:D What do you want now?

If there gonna spend that much on a camera then there gonna know what they are buying. No one is gonna go spend that much without knowing what they bought. So lets leave it up to the people who is looking to buy the camera to make the choice which one is better for them?

mega pixels are not the concern here, it is the quality of the CCD and image processor that is essential. Most anyone on this forum will never need anything more than a 6mp camera.. unless you print to Super A3 or larger professional plotter paper, your wasting your money... it's not who's penis is larger converted to mega pixels. The D40 is a great simple camera from Nikon, which will benefit most of the consumers.. if you threw them in manual mode with a D70-80 they would be absolutely overwhelmed and never take a decent photo.

I would consider buying this if it had an AF motor. I was really excited when I first heard about the D40X until I read it's the same camera as the D40. :(

I would consider buying this if it had an AF motor. I was really excited when I first heard about the D40X until I read it's the same camera as the D40. :(

yes, the biggest shortcoming. Nikon dominates the prosumer markets because you have literally hundreds upon hundreds of compatible lenses all the way back to 1959.

is the D40 better than the D50 it replaces? I wanted to ge D50 but now I see it's not being made anymore.

Also, any good prices online for the D40, either with or without the kit lens?:cool:

D50 FTW, you can buy it at bhphotovideo, got mine slightly used for $399, works great, feels better than the D40 IMO (subjective), Feels alot better when you have a super wide zoom like my 18-135, if you put that on the D40 which I did, the D40 is way off balance. Just My Opinion.

Guys, please step up to a "real" dSLR,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6222&A=details&Q=&sku=397314&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Self bought graduation gift, ROCKS DA House for quality. Sensor is a PITA to clean though.

Naw any dSLR is great its nice to see people intrested in other cameras besides the point and shoots.

I have been using all film until I got the 5D...do not know if I will ever use film again...well maybe some black and white rolls here and there, its nice to get to work in a dark room once and awhile!

without going into the argument if the d40x is worth its price compared to the d40 or other comparable cameras, 729$ seems to be the MSRP without a kit lense and 799$ the MSRP with kit lense (see link below).
given that the camera is not available yet, i would not expect any good or even hot deals on it

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40x/page2.asp

D50/D70/D70s/D80/D2x

all of these are great cameras.

the D40/D40x does not accept all the fantastic lenses... leaving you to purchase only the latest lenses (and most expensive).

I would highly recommend the D50 over a D40... either camera will be spectacular photos which you can blow up to posted size crystal clear.. the camera body is the least of your concerns, your lenses are where your real quality comes from.

D50/D70/D70s/D80/D2x

all of these are great cameras.

your lenses are where your real quality comes from.

I dont like the D50,70 or 70s...i guess its all subjective to what you want/need/like....but you left out the D200 and the D2H. (and the D100 if you're including old shizz.)

The D200 is the best camera nikon has at the price point. I love canon but the D200 is retarded nice.

You're right about the lens, but dont forget about the sensor/proc. Why is it that canon can retain all that detail from the pics they shoot? is it the lens? nope...its the processor, which canon dominates. Nikon gets a tad waterocolory for me.

Dont buy a D40x, its stupid.....buy either an XTi and get some nice cheap canon lenses and you will be better off then a D40x and some exspensive ass lenses.

I dont like the D50,70 or 70s...i guess its all subjective to what you want/need/like....but you left out the D200 and the D2H. (and the D100 if you're including old shizz.)

The D200 is the best camera nikon has at the price point. I love canon but the D200 is retarded nice.

You're right about the lens, but dont forget about the sensor/proc. Why is it that canon can retain all that detail from the pics they shoot? is it the lens? nope...its the processor, which canon dominates. Nikon gets a tad waterocolory for me.

Dont buy a D40x, its stupid.....buy either an XTi and get some nice cheap canon lenses and you will be better off then a D40x and some exspensive ass lenses.

Anyone clicking on a D40x deal shouldn't even be considering a D200 honestly... I mean its like walking into a Kia dealership and buying a ferrari ;)

I know Canon and Nikon respectively... It's a heated debate.. but in my professional photography circles Canon is scene as the "overly hyped, hipped up crowd" cameras - their mass marketing and tv commercials have brought in a whole new yuppie crowd into photography circles that is overly loud and annoying, most of the time if you come into a photography group and proclaim your new Canon and show a bunch of pictures all shot in auto mode that would be a good example of why the respect level has fallen some. Canon cameras are easier to use and offer less configurability... which is a good thing as most people who are looking at the low end DSLR market could never and would never utilize them.. and probably just result is lower quality pictures in which they would buy a canon and proclaim it to be superior... when they just couldn't work their Nikon correctly. Nikon's are best used when you can operate entirely in Manual mode - you have enough experience to configure every aspect of your camera and get good pictures. Head to head nikkor lenses are superior glass in the same price margins.. and they normally tend to be slightly cheaper. You also have any lens from 1959 to choose from. Anyone on this forum I would probably suggest them to purchase an XT or XTi because they probably could never fully use a Nikon.. however if you have ever held a canon, and then held a D70/80... you'll notice there is a difference.. the Nikon's feel much more solid and a little heavier. The best reason to own a Nikon is their lens variety and quality.. that is always the primary reason given, and the most accepted. It's a shame to hear you feel the pictures are 'watercolory' - but that is simply inexperienced photographers. If you want vivid rich color look at a Fujifilm S2/S3 Pro - I've owned one and they have the best CCD out there bar none. Here are some pictures taken with my D70... all with the 18-70mm kit lens.

http://cjshull.googlepages.com/Train_005.jpg
http://jadefalcon.shackspace.com/Pics/Nikon%20D70/Grave01.JPG
http://jadefalcon.shackspace.com/Pics/Nikon D70/Vette01.JPG
http://cjshull.googlepages.com/icedleaves_002.jpg
http://cjshull.googlepages.com/Trainyard_001_bw.jpg

Anyone clicking on a D40x deal shouldn't even be considering a D200 honestly... I mean its like walking into a Kia dealership and buying a ferrari ;)

I know Canon and Nikon respectively... It's a heated debate.. but in my professional photography circles Canon is scene as the "overly hyped, hipped up crowd" cameras - their mass marketing and tv commercials have brought in a whole new yuppie crowd into photography circles that is overly loud and annoying, most of the time if you come into a photography group and proclaim your new Canon and show a bunch of pictures all shot in auto mode that would be a good example of why the respect level has fallen some. Canon cameras are easier to use and offer less configurability... which is a good thing as most people who are looking at the low end DSLR market could never and would never utilize them.. and probably just result is lower quality pictures in which they would buy a canon and proclaim it to be superior... when they just couldn't work their Nikon correctly. Nikon's are best used when you can operate entirely in Manual mode - you have enough experience to configure every aspect of your camera and get good pictures. Head to head nikkor lenses are superior glass in the same price margins.. and they normally tend to be slightly cheaper. You also have any lens from 1959 to choose from. Anyone on this forum I would probably suggest them to purchase an XT or XTi because they probably could never fully use a Nikon.. however if you have ever held a canon, and then held a D70/80... you'll notice there is a difference.. the Nikon's feel much more solid and a little heavier. The best reason to own a Nikon is their lens variety and quality.. that is always the primary reason given, and the most accepted. It's a shame to hear you feel the pictures are 'watercolory' - but that is simply inexperienced photographers. If you want vivid rich color look at a Fujifilm S2/S3 Pro - I've owned one and they have the best CCD out there bar none. Here are some pictures taken with my D70... all with the 18-70mm kit lens.

http://cjshull.googlepages.com/Train_005.jpg
http://jadefalcon.shackspace.com/Pics/Nikon D70/Grave01.JPG
http://jadefalcon.shackspace.com/Pics/Nikon D70/Vette01.JPG
http://cjshull.googlepages.com/icedleaves_002.jpg
http://cjshull.googlepages.com/Trainyard_001_bw.jpg

I have seen almost all DSLR's from nikon and canon in use...Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one, and they normally smell.::)

I never said Nikon's were bad, and i never said they took horrible pictures. You showed me how sharp and awesome your pics are SCALED! I know you will post full sized shots next.....but the point is this, Nikon people will always say Nikon and Canon for Canon. Nobody owns a 30D and then recommends a D200. Its not how things work.

You say in your professional circles canons looked down upon, ok....but all pros i know shoot with Canon or both. I don't know anyone who shoots exclusively with Nikon. Granted i don't know that many, only a dozen or so....but if pros like Nikon and look down on canon you would think i would know one....who knows?

And as for lenses, I like some of the lenses canon has, that Nikon has nothing near. This is a personal thing....but if you can find me a Nikon version of the 65mm 1-5x macro lens i would be excited to see some results from them. Also i love the 70-200 2.8 canon has. I know everyone makes a version of this, and to be honest there are awesome lenes nomatter what brand you go with. Some are just at a nice price then others....

Whats the Nikon Equiv to the 70-200 2.8 that Nikon has that's cheaper? All the comparable lenses i can find are about the same sometimes more.

Back