Nikon announce D3 and D300, new lenses

I'm sure most of you SLR people have already seen this announcement, but Nikon has just announced the successor to the D200, and a D3 camera, both expected in November. The interesting things to note are that both feature a larger 3 inch LCD ~ 1 Mpixel, the D3 sports a new 12 Megapixel full-frame sensor and apparently, ISO up to 25600 in HI2 mode, and various other things like improved framerate and dual card slots. The Nikon D3 looks like an improved D2x in D200-form factor but for $1800. And thankfully, both use the same batteries as the current products! :)

Nikon D300 product page:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d300/index.htm

Nikon D3 product page:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/slr/d3/index.htm

I am excited and hope the D300 lives up to the specs and more. If so, looks like my D70 will be getting a new sibling.

Additionally, Nikon announced 5 new lenses, 3 improved versions of their expensive telephotos (400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4), a 24-70/2.8, and a 14-24/2.8. I am interested in the 14-24/2.8, but with an expected price of $1800 or so...perhaps not as interested. :eek:

Yeah, those look pretty cool. I'm already buying a D3 and D300 to replace my D2x and D200. Can't wait!

I'll judge once some reviews come out. If those big photosites can provide a wider dynamic range then I will consider a D3. The full frame means nothing to me.

Another plus to me is that the D300 will also shoot in TIFF. Im not a big fan of NEF myself.

in time to compete with canon's 40D, shall be nice to see the reviews and who comes out on top in this one, i hope Nikon has cleaned up their noise in higher ISO levels.

Another plus to me is that the D300 will also shoot in TIFF. Im not a big fan of NEF myself.

Why would you prefer TIF over NEF? NEF is the raw data - easily manipulated with Capture. TIF is a huge, uncompressed, camera-processed image.

I dont like captire myself. I use CS and, tiff is easier to work than NEF in my chosen program.

Ah. I start in Capture and do my colour corrections,contrast adjustments etc then export (as TIF) to CS3 for cloning, cropping etc

Myself, I process using NEF, but...

On some assignments, the clients will want TIFF files. This request is becoming less important now, but I've had to deliver images in this format before. I did a shoot for National Geographic International, and they required TIFF files.

Why would you want to shoot in TIFF, anyway? With a raw format, you have more opportunities to tweak stuff in post. If someone decides to make a camera shooting OpenEXR, they'll have my money in a heartbeat. Regular dynamic range (tiff or jpeg or whatever) for the lose!

As a newbie I shot in jpeg only but quickly saw the limits when it came to post-manipulation. Big fan of the raw NEF files these days.

On topic: The new Nikon's look good, wish I had that kind of money to spend....even if I don't need a camera with such power/options :p

Looks damn good, but the $7k I'd need to get the D3 and the new 14-28 2.8 would be more than my first 3 cars put together =)

I'm cool with either Canon or Nikon as I have lenses for both, I'm still hoping for a surprise 5D Mk2 for Photoplus Expo in 2 weeks, otherwise its gonna be a long hard winter and spring still waiting. Fortunately the 20D is still better than I am.

There are several advantages the D3/D300 have over the competition - for instance the live view feature doesn't work when auto focusing with the Canon, it does with the Nikons. Also, the screen's resolution is twice as high as any other camera on the market at the moment. And, who can't tear up with a 9fps continuous mode? Oh, if only I had the money.

Im still going for the D300 and, the 14-28 lense. I saw the lense and, decided it would be a nice wide angle lense to have. All I know is some of the Canon owners on a couple of other forums are considering switching over to light side or, the dark side as they call it.

I'm going to skip this upcoming generation and hold out for next myself.

Bump, my D300 did get here and I've been giving it a good workout.

I left Nikon when the 20D came out. They had just dragged their feet for soooo long and were getting their asses kicked by both the Rebel and the XXd line, dollar for dollar and feature for feature. Finally with the D3 and D300 they came roaring back and I picked up a D300 and 18-200 Kit to go along with my aging but still working beautifully nikkors.

First day's tryouts:
http://flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157604049923749/

Crops, levels and white balance. No sharpening other than the Lr minimal input sharpening defaults.

I knew the 18-200 would have a bit of Chromatic Aberration, Lr looks like it will clear that up if it really bothers me. What I really wasnt expecting was how much it vignettes at 200. Doesn't really bother me since its easily correctable but I was shocked nobody mentioned it in any of the reviews I've read.

I had been led to believe that Lr and Nikon weren't really playing nice together but so far I have no complaints other than the monstrous NEFs take a lot longer to be processed by my aging rig than the svelte 8 megapixel 20D raws. =) I'm not giving up on Canon totally, I love the 20D and its now my backup cam and am keeping my best lenses and selling off some lesser pieces. Once a real successor to the 5D comes down the pike I might head that way again but I have a feeling the D300s gonna keep me happy for a long long time.

-Spot metering. Big for me, as is the very reliable 3d matrix metering. I never liked the 20d's meter and often found myself using exposure compensation on every shoot. Flash Exposure Compensation is even more off. VERY happy with the D300 metering so far, tho I do not have a SB-800 yet. White Balance is also more flexible and accurate tho indoors its still dicey.
-Live View. Will be cool for precise focus checking especially on tripod mounted macro shoots. Maybe for over the head two arms extended shots too.
-A true pro AF system. It's the same AF as in the amazing D3. I have been consistantly frustrated with the 20D AF. There is so much to learn in this new system and choices for different situations that it's still too early to make a call, but I was moderately happy with the speed it kept up with buzzards in flight yesterday.
-The 3" LCD is a game changer.
-2.5x the FPS isn't huge for me but could open new doors for my soccer pics.
-More megapixels is not a big deal, certainly wasn't something I would have paid more for. Requires more space to burn the files but also allows more detailed crops when needed.
-The 18-200 VR is a FUN lens. It's not a professional lens by any stretch but it's got a lot of uses for walkabouts and family events. Convenience and light weight with no equal on the canon side.
-Fun stuff: Built in intervalometer and multiple exposure mode. First I will use a LOT, second not so much but still fun to play with.
-ISO 6400. Huge for me if it matches the hype. Not expecting D3 like results but still nice to have and also never get antsy about using ISO 1600 and beyond.
-All my old Nikkors now fit =) 50 1.8 is fun and light and bright and easy to hand to a family member.

Plus as noted I'm KEEPING the 20D and my best lenses =) I still admire what Canon puts out, but at this time they are a big step behind in the market that I fit into and the new features I value most. If they had put an AF system like the D300s and an LCD to match in the 40D it might have been a lot harder to make this jump, and I'm going to have my eye out for what comes next for the 5D class bodies. It's going to need to be huuuuge to convince me that I need that more than I need better glass.

ISO 6400 is usable in a pinch, but I wont use it often:
http://www.navesink.net/2008/03/iso.html

Coming out of Kelly's in Belmar, NJ after our yearly St. Pat's feast on Saturday, I noticed a brilliant 3/4 moon. I've been getting into astrophotography lately and had my new camera and lens combo with me, so I took a quick look up and snapped it. I almost didn't stop walking, and wasn't really expecting a whole lot out of it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/2336994308/

Was pretty damn happy with the results! Despite being hand held and
'only' 200mm, I got a tremendous amount of detail, a lot more than I did
during the eclipse last month. Unlike those shots you can actually see
individual craters and the 'Bunny' is clearly visible (tho upside down).

And HERE is what the moon looks like with a 1980 era Manual focus
Vivitar 400mm, which I used with the new camera from my front porch the other
night:
http://flickr.com/photos/kadath/2338532085/
http://flickr.com/photos/kadath/2338531761/

I'm totally blown away by the difference! The added reach (double the focal length) and tripod help just a little =) Not bad for a real antique that was already wayyyy old and cost me about $50 when I bought it in 1988... I made a 16x20 print at Costco tonight and love how it looks blown up =)

I've always been told that the full moon is the worst time to shoot it but I kinda like this one from tonight. Might be just a touch too contrasty but I like the darker look!
http://flickr.com/photos/kadath/2348137177/

Congrats on new toy! Unfortunately I cannot look at your images from here (the Nanny blocks Flickr) but I'll check them out later tonight.

18-200 has a lot of compromises. It all depends on the results you're expecting, I guess. For just general purpose snapshots it fits the bill just fine.

Which Nikkors do you have now?

When using flash on a Nikon, always manually set your White Balance to "Flash". Particularily if you are not shooting RAW - much more accurate.

Get the SB-800 as soon as you can afford it. It is a must have!

What is "Lr" you keep mentioning? Not familiar with this abbreviation.

Congrats on new toy! Unfortunately I cannot look at your images from here (the Nanny blocks Flickr) but I'll check them out later tonight.

18-200 has a lot of compromises. It all depends on the results you're expecting, I guess. For just general purpose snapshots it fits the bill just fine.

Which Nikkors do you have now?

When using flash on a Nikon, always manually set your White Balance to "Flash". Particularily if you are not shooting RAW - much more accurate.

Get the SB-800 as soon as you can afford it. It is a must have!

What is "Lr" you keep mentioning? Not familiar with this abbreviation.

Lightroom, I assume. Lr is what Adobe puts for that program in its new application icon set.

And congrats on the new cam Kadath. I can't look at the pics either, company gateway blocks flickr.

Bummer on the blocks =( Lr is indeed Lightroom. I was a Raw Shooter Professional addict but then adobe bought that company out and forced us to migrate, and while I could still use that app with the 20D it doesnt support the D300 so I would be swapping over now anyway if I hadnt already. Lr is solid but needs a lot of new features, Scott Kelby has a monstrous list that I agree with fully.

I have the 18-200, a 50 1.8, and a fully manual 400mm Vivitar F5.6 which I am using for the moon shots. If anyone knows if there is a TC that will work with that lens please let me know! I also have some cheesy 80s zooms including a 35-80 f5-5.6 but we neednt discuss those =)

Will definitly give the flash WB setting a shot. i intend to buy a couple of SB 800s as my old consumer flashes are no better than the built in one and I am jonesing to try out the commander mode and the gels that are packed with them. I bought the Cleon wireless trigger from Ebay, will see how that works too. Eventually I want to buy some alienbees or an Elinchrom ranger kit but until then a few strobes will carry me over.

Back