Nikon 24-70mm lens? What to do with it?

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
how'd you get it without knowing what it was?
just curious, such a pricey lens!

lol at Amazon prices (10 new from $1,703.97 1 used from $1,788.98).

anyway, since you're still on like page 20 of the Nikon D5000 manual, telling you this is a constant aperture, fast pro-grade piece of glass isn't going to tell you much.

for starters, this lens is incredibly sharp, produces great colors. it's equipped with ED (extra low dispersion) glass elements which reduce chromatic aberration, and its nano coating help eliminate flares, ghosting and internal reflections. did i mention it's sharp? even wide open it produces stunning images across its range. it really shines with full frame cameras, but it can be equally fantastic with DX cameras. this is one of the best mid range zoom lenses currently out there.

Nikon 24-70mm lens? What to do with it?

Give it to me. That is the only logical solution. They call this lens 'The Brick' for a reason: it is useless for pretty-much everything but a door-stop... and to give to me. ;)

Oh, really? :eek: How did you manage that?? Doesn't sound like you paid retail price for it, so congrats on the acquisition! This lens is the standard walk-around tool for most pro photogs - it covers the entire medium range, has perfect sharpness and bokeh, and the 2.8 aperture is fast enough for the demand of most low-light scenes.

It's not the lens I would go for if I was dropping a ton of cash on a lens, as I usually either work in the super-wide-angle or telephoto/macro range, I'm not much of a medium-range kind of guy. But this lens would still be an excellent addition to any kit.

Congrats - enjoy it! And hurry up and post pics! :D (or give it to me)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to have to google a lot of what you guys just said (thanks!) and play with different settings and shoots...

And people actually walk around with this thing as a default lens? Damn... I feel like I'm getting toned every time I pick it up.

I rented the Canon equivalent for a music festival a couple years ago. I wished I had a full frame camera to go with the focal length. 24mm isn't very wide on APS-C... good range though.

how you come across that lens. im saving up for that one. someone give it to you? or it fall of a truck?

i love my d5000 but im already to move up to the replacment for the d700 whenever that comes out.

how you come across that lens. im saving up for that one. someone give it to you? or it fall of a truck?

i love my d5000 but im already to move up to the replacment for the d700 whenever that comes out.
what lenses do you currently have lined up for the D700's replacement, and what are you looking for in the FX camera?

what lenses do you currently have lined up for the D700's replacement, and what are you looking for in the FX camera?

biggest thing is the switch from single point focus to area and 3d. next would be the much bigger viewfinder. would be able to control flashes that arent connected to the flash. forget that exact term for that. and from what i heard about high iso in low light. kick ass. and i take alot of photos. in low light with no flash.

currently have my 70-300 and i plan on getting the 24-70 shortly.

would be able to control flashes that arent connected to the flash. forget that exact term for that.
'commander mode' is the phrase you're looking for ;) you can have a great deal of fun with it, if you're into that kind of photography. add few color gels for better light/color control, and you're set ;)

biggest thing is the switch from single point focus to area and 3d. next would be the much bigger viewfinder. would be able to control flashes that arent connected to the flash. forget that exact term for that. and from what i heard about high iso in low light. kick ass. and i take alot of photos. in low light with no flash.

currently have my 70-300 and i plan on getting the 24-70 shortly.

You can get wireless triggers for your D5000 as well for pretty cheap if you wanted to use off camera flash.

just got mine
4651060098_1a4b509feb_b.jpg

here it is next to my 70-300

4645895846_b0ebee3cfe_b.jpg

^^congrats. it's a great lens. i'm sure you'll love it :)
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

here's mine after a wedding I just shot... don't I look tired!?

SOOC
4634676875_ae2d4b80cf_b.jpg

Camera: Nikon D700
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: No Flash

I have to say is that this lens is just bad@ss. It focuses faster than my 50mm, it's incredibly sharp (even at 2.8), and the colors it produces are out of this world. You might want to think about getting a battery grip to counter balance the lens.

been eyeballing the battery grip but need to recoup some costs.

What is this lens and what's so special about it (esp to warrant a price tag of 2 nice 50" plasmas, or a really kickass computer)?

Nothing special about it. Just another constant aperture standard zoom for full frame format. Sony/Zeiss's 24-70 2.8 is probably the best in this category.

Back