Nike Signs Deal With Esports Athlete

I watch a lot of esports myself. But agree with the majority here and think they shoulda named it something else. Esports might be a fitting name if they were doing racing simulations or playing madden or something. But playing league of legends isn't a sport in anyway.

I see jocks angry that they're not the big shots anymore just because they're "ooooh so strong!, come to me ladies!"

It all started with the nerdy guys getting rich because of nerdy things.... salty tears.

I see jocks angry that they're not the big shots anymore just because they're "ooooh so strong!, come to me ladies!"

It all started with the nerdy guys getting rich because of nerdy things.... salty tears.

Nah, pretty sure PRO ATHLETES are still the big dogs, making the BIG money, bringing in the BIG ratings, but sure, we're all just salty because? Nerdy guys getting endorsed?

I think the issue is labels. We live in a labeled world. Gotta call a spade a spade. We can't just start using terms like athlete and start applying them to all competitive things to fit a PC narrative.

No one is saying you can't be a Gamer and an Athlete. We're saying saying your Gaming isn't an athletic competition.

On a different note, I've seen multiple pro gamers wearing just socks, can't speak for the scene as a whole but at least some CSGO players in some tournaments. :p
I love gaming in socks, or barefoot with a nice fuzzy pair of slippers myself. :D

Nah, pretty sure PRO ATHLETES are still the big dogs, making the BIG money, bringing in the BIG ratings, but sure, we're all just salty because? Nerdy guys getting endorsed?

They're not here bitching that "those are not sports! grrr!"

I think the issue is labels. We live in a labeled world. Gotta call a spade a spade. We can't just start using terms like athlete and start applying them to all competitive things to fit a PC narrative.

Same thing can be said about Golf.

The narrative is more like that rage which only surfaces when fatty nerdy guys that were supposed to stay in their mom's basement forever are doing something that brings them recognition, and sometimes money.

No one is saying you can't be a Gamer and an Athlete. We're saying saying your Gaming isn't an athletic competition.

Athletic competition != Sport

They're not here bitching that "those are not sports! grrr!"

Same thing can be said about Golf.

The narrative is more like that rage which only surfaces when fatty nerdy guys that were supposed to stay in their mom's basement forever are doing something that brings them recognition, and sometimes money.

Athletic competition != Sport

I never used the term "Sport". I'm not here raging about anything. My issue is applying the term "athlete" to anyone doing anything remotely competitive. I don't see the problem with referring to these E-Games as what they are, electronic games.

You see angry jocks and I see angry nerds and their followers who want to lump gamers into a category that they do not belong in.

Golf is most definitely a sport. It's not even up for debate.

Last edited:
Yeah, no, they weren't.
Back then, "gay" meant "happy" and "pussy" meant either "cat" or "fine" (classy/sexy).

I said 50 years ago, not 20 years ago.
Does history for you two not extend beyond the 1990s or something?

What a couple of geeks - and no, I don't mean the "nerdy" kind. ;)

You have to go back more than 50 years for gay to have no association with homosexual not sure how far, but more than 50. Pussy? That you have to crank the wayback machine to sometime in the 1500s.

And e-sports players aren't athletes. Just call them e-sports players. They play the game. There is NOTHING athletic about playing video games.

You have to go back more than 50 years for gay to have no association with homosexual not sure how far, but more than 50. Pussy? That you have to crank the wayback machine to sometime in the 1500s.

And e-sports players aren't athletes. Just call them e-sports players. They play the game. There is NOTHING athletic about playing video games.

So is really comes down to which or how many muscles are used to compete? Is there an amount of caloric burn per game required to designate athlete? Just am trying to find out what is being used to define one or the other instead of just arbitrary requirements.

So is really comes down to which or how many muscles are used to compete? Is there an amount of caloric burn per game required to designate athlete? Just am trying to find out what is being used to define one or the other instead of just arbitrary requirements.

They say it takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile. Sad clowns are clearly superior athletes. :clown:

I never used the term "Sport". I'm not here raging about anything. My issue is applying the term "athlete" to anyone doing anything remotely competitive. I don't see the problem with referring to these E-Games as what they are, electronic games.

You see angry jocks and I see angry nerds and their followers who want to lump gamers into a category that they do not belong in.

Golf is most definitely a sport. It's not even up for debate.

I guess we're talking about the same thing.

They're not athletes, but it is a sport.

If a company sponsors Golf players, to me it's just fine that it would sponsor Professional Video Game players as well.

Yeah, no, they weren't.
Back then, "gay" meant "happy" and "pussy" meant either "cat" or "fine" (classy/sexy).

Gay and pussy still mean those things (well, I've never heard of pussy meaning "fine").

And 50 years ago they also meant the alternative things that you are likely thinking of.

"In the 1960s, gay became the word favored by homosexual men to describe their sexual orientation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pussy

Also, a difference between the expanded usage of those words and "athlete" being used for video gamers is that "gay" and "pussy" branch from the underlying meaning of those words, whereas applying "athlete" to video gamers doesn't and in-fact contradicts the underlying meaning of that word.

Last edited:
I guess we're talking about the same thing.

They're not athletes, but it is a sport.

If a company sponsors Golf players, to me it's just fine that it would sponsor Professional Video Game players as well.

I agree. I think we are a similar page here. More power to anyone getting sponsored, whether it's for Video Gaming or Pogo-sticking.

Okay guys, riddle me this, is this person an athlete? :

freakazoid-plays-cs-go-for-cloud9.jpg

Okay guys, riddle me this, is this person an athlete? :

View attachment 114573

Depends on whether or not he engages in physically strenuous competitive activities.
He may have been an athlete at some point.
Maybe he is still.
Or maybe he's simply a physical fitness nut (slang for someone that really, really into something).
Impossible to say for sure without testimony and proof.

Fits the bill. Nike has become such a shit company these past few years. Will NEVER buy their products or anything associated with them.

Um, doesn't the definition of Athlete contain the word stamina?

Stamina, is the physical or MENTAL ability to continue for long periods of effort..

Well shit..

Gaming, a sport..

Same as golf.. A sport.

Shall we QQ more?

or just get to the real issue, this is the world we live in! :D

Earlier suppositions hinged on this facet, the exertion of the person meeting a minimum threshold.

Is snooker a sport? Darts? Marksman shooting?

Hell, Golf has similar cardiovascular exertions to that of competitive video gaming, which one is a sport? Which participants are athletes?

Physical fitness of players does not turn games to sport. LeBron playing checkers is still just a game not a real sport.

Earlier suppositions hinged on this facet, the exertion of the person meeting a minimum threshold.

Is snooker a sport? Darts? Marksman shooting?

Hell, Golf has similar cardiovascular exertions to that of competitive video gaming, which one is a sport? Which participants are athletes?
Golf is a sport. The competitors are not athletes, they are sportsmen. Yeah, it's been a while since I've heard that term myself.

Rather, I should say not all golfers are athletes. Some athletes do happen to play golf.

Last edited:
ath·lete
/ˈaTHˌlēt/
noun
noun: athlete; plural noun: athletes
  1. a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
    synonyms: sportsman, sportswoman, sportsperson; More
    jock;
    Olympian;
    runner
    "the school's top athletes"
    • British
      a person who is skilled in competitive track and field events (athletics).

Just because it's on ESPN doesn't make it a sport. It just means there are too many sports channels now, and they have to fill all their time slots with something.

Is someone going to come in here and tell me that poker is a sport?

Which involves more exertion, the occasional swing of a club in Golf, or the non-stop moving of your arms for hours on end in a CS:GO tournament? Oh, and the cardiovascular responses your body experiences with having to react to situations in as little as 16ms.

And which one is and isn't the athlete again?

This mans physical fitness is irrelevant. No one is saying you can't be a Gamer and an Athlete. We're saying saying that Gaming isn't an athletic competition. Sponsorship doesn't change this.

Which involves more exertion, the occasional swing of a club in Golf, or the non-stop moving of your arms for hours on end in a CS:GO tournament? Oh, and the cardiovascular responses your body experiences with having to react to situations in as little as 16ms.

And which one is and isn't the athlete again?

Firstly, could you at least try reading through the thread a little bit? Just a little? FFS, did you quote me and not read what you quoted? Being an athlete, being fit, doesn't make everything you participate a damn athletics competition. It just doesn't. I'm in great shape, does this make my occasional Friday Night Magic venue an athletic competition all of a sudden? No.... No it doesn't.

Secondly, Prime tiger woods would like to have a word with you. Seriously, you are horribly understating PRO Golf and the athleticism involved.

That said I get it, Golf is highly debated, but I think a better comparison would be something like NASCAR.

Firstly, could you at least try reading through the thread a little bit? Just a little? FFS, did you quote me and not read what you quoted? Being an athlete, being fit, doesn't make everything you participate a damn athletics competition. It just doesn't. I'm in great shape, does this make my occasional Friday Night Magic venue an athletic competition all of a sudden? No.... No it doesn't.

Secondly, Prime tiger woods would like to have a word with you. Seriously, you are horribly understating PRO Golf and the athleticism involved.

That said I get it, Golf is highly debated, but I think a better comparison would be something like NASCAR.
I would say golfers are more athletic than nascar racers (it's not black/white, there is some variability in athleticism), but I wouldn't want to fight a driver either. The amount of adrenaline they pump out is astronomical. Prefer motorcycle races, myself.

Esports Athlete o_O Yeah tapping that keyboard and moving that mouse....definitely up there with running a marathon.

That's like saying someone who sits on the couch all day shovelling food into himself and watching tv is a tv watching athlete. Can he get some sponsorship for "sneakers" to comfort his feet when he goes to take his daily shit?

I wonder if they game 26.2 hours straight....:LOL:

I would say golfers are more athletic than nascar racers (it's not black/white, there is some variability in athleticism), but I wouldn't want to fight a driver either. The amount of adrenaline they pump out is astronomical. Prefer motorcycle races, myself.
golf is a sport but you dont have to be athletic to play. gaming is not a sport or athletic, competition yes but not sport.. increased heart rate and breathing doesn't equal being athletic. fat bastards get that going to the fridge or up a set of 4 stairs, that make them athletes? no.
both wrong about nascar drivers.
http://sethkoenig.bangordailynews.c.../science-shows-race-car-drivers-are-athletes/

Reactions: Nobu
like this
This thread is better than most of the threads in soapbox. Lol.

I personally can’t wait for the RGB version of the shoes. I want shoes to glow like a unicorn puking just like my case, fans, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and monitors.

Yeah, No, Sorry gamers are not athletes in any form or sense of the word. This just goes to show how companies are trying to cash in on every opportunity to make a buck.

Wow, the amount of hate here is insane. Guy plays games for a living AND gets signed by a huge company and somehow everyone here is up in arms.

He is doing exactly what most people wanted to do in their teen years. He has accomplished it. No matter the lingo they use, he plays games and makes money doing it.

Christ, the majority of you build systems worth thousands of dollars just to spend an hour a day playing between your mundane jobs and your snot nosed kids and shit family. So who is really winning here?

Wow, the amount of hate here is insane. Guy plays games for a living AND gets signed by a huge company and somehow everyone here is up in arms.

He is doing exactly what most people wanted to do in their teen years. He has accomplished it. No matter the lingo they use, he plays games and makes money doing it.

Christ, the majority of you build systems worth thousands of dollars just to spend an hour a day playing between your mundane jobs and your snot nosed kids and shit family. So who is really winning here?

Im not seeing any hate here. Good for those that are pro gamers. What most here are saying is that being a gamer does not make one an athlete.

Im not seeing any hate here. Good for those that are pro gamers. What most here are saying is that being a gamer does not make one an athlete.

I understand that. So the terminology was shitty, but there is tons of hate here, you should actually read the thread.

I understand that. So the terminology was shitty, but there is tons of hate here, you should actually read the thread.
maybe in your opinion there is hate but I dont see it. I see, I assume, lefties going off for us saying esports players aren't athletes though...

Back