Nightingale ex: Bioware devs

Not another survival MMO, please no. And they look pikachu faced when their n+1th chasing trends project crashes and burns harder than Daikatana.

Must be the rejects of Bioware if they can't come up with anything that would at least attempt to be fresh.

Not another survival MMO, please no. And they look pikachu faced when their n+1th chasing trends project crashes and burns harder than Daikatana.

Must be the rejects of Bioware if they can't come up with anything that would at least attempt to be fresh.

That is kind of how I feel. Anthem devs? Or people who wanted to make those types of games. Seems like this is a co-op game first and foremost. The problem is the gameplay itself seems to emphasize building things. Which I don't think works well in co-op. Typically the co-op games that thrive tend to be more simple. Borderlands, which has enough story content to be a competent SP game and Left 4 Dead are examples. They're simple. With building and crafting stuff, well people like to build their own settlements. I don't see how it works from a gameplay perspective. The type of people who like to craft and build their own things generally do it alone.

I see this as being a flop.

Also, Bioware is known for good story driven action RPGs. So putting their name on a narrative weak MMO isn't exactly great advertising.

Who knows what the gameplay will be like but I very much like the style. It's refreshing.

I'm always looking for new survival games until Ark 2 comes out.

The original trailer for this game caught my attention - looks pretty neat.

Original trailer

Another good video to watch

Gotta make what you can get funding for unless you have plenty of money yourself.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Looks promising but I'll wait until revies before deciding whether to purchase or not.

Gotta make what you can get funding for unless you have plenty of money yourself.
That only makes it worse, if it is not what they actually want to make.

It is one thing that they think they can succeed in an already saturated niche market. (Foolish but at least relatively honorable) It is entirely another thing if they are just going along with it because of the money and not passion.

That only makes it worse, if it is not what they actually want to make.

It is one thing that they think they can succeed in an already saturated niche market. (Foolish but at least relatively honorable) It is entirely another thing if they are just going along with it because of the money and not passion.

Yeah that does suck, but sometimes they need a paycheck and this might have been the only option. Few people get their dream job so I can't bash them for doing what they can to stay employed. But the game will probably be uninspired and flop.

Or I could be entirely wrong. I had zero interest in battle royale and MMOs in general but those took off.

Inflexion Games was acquired by Tencent in February. The developer is wholly owned by the Chinese company now.
https://www.improbable.io/blog/improbable-announces-the-sale-of-inflexion-games-studio-to-tencent

Aaryn Flynn is a former-programmer-turned-manager and Neil Thompson is an artist who came in with Mass Effect 3. I wouldn't call just these two people "ex-BioWare devs." I can't find more information on who works at the studio, but it seems like the idea people from BioWare responsible for the design of the games are not working for Inflexion Games.

I stopped with reading comics like in 1998 when the whole thing started to blow over and prices went up. Videogames became my new hobby. DC comics were ok but just picked up Vertigo titles and Batman with Kelly Jones Covers. I was die hard Marvel Indi comics and Image to a point.
Uh, is this in the wrong thread?

So there is a playtest this weekend. I don't know if you can still request access via the steam page but I got the download option around lunch time.

Edit: Nevermind, the test was only extended to 6pm PST. Odd limited test time, only 6 hours during a weekday. They say the servers were holding up. 62GB download for 6 hours test window. Yay, modern gaming.

Lots of reports of hardware issues and server issues. I was able to play for 20 minutes or so. The game has potential but the graphics aren't great but it does run on an 8 year old i7 and a 2060Super. The building UI was not smooth.

If you compare it to the other two popular survival EA games, Palworld and Enshrouded, both of those games win I think.

Last edited:
So there is a playtest this weekend. I don't know if you can still request access via the steam page but I got the download option around lunch time.

Edit: Nevermind, the test was only extended to 6pm PST. Odd limited test time, only 6 hours during a weekday. They say the servers were holding up. 62GB download

Lots of reports of hardware issues and server issues. I was able to play for 20 minutes or so. The game has potential but the graphics aren't great but it does run on an 8 year old i7 and a 2060Super.
Lame that they do it during most peoples work hours. Get any screenshots?

I got a couple of screenshots, nothing fancy though. Game world does look nice overall.

A basic shelter I built. They spawned you in with a lot of mats to build easily. The game has environmental effects. It started to rain while I was building this then hail came down and was taking health damage unless I got under a roof. Same with rain making you wet unless covered with an umbrella etc..

The building UI is not great, seems even more finicky than Conan Exiles. About as bad as Palworld when it comes to trying to get roof pieces to fit correctly. I quit trying and just made it flat.

20240202123058_1.jpg

Interior view with workbenches in progress:
20240202123534_1.jpg

I got a couple of screenshots, nothing fancy though. Game world does look nice overall.

A basic shelter I built. They spawned you in with a lot of mats to build easily. The game has environmental effects. It started to rain while I was building this then hail came down and was taking health damage unless I got under a roof. Same with rain making you wet unless covered with an umbrella etc..

The building UI is not great, seems even more finicky than Conan Exiles. About as bad as Palworld when it comes to trying to get roof pieces to fit correctly. I quit trying and just made it flat.

View attachment 632415

Interior view with workbenches in progress:
View attachment 632418
I'm sure they'll clean it up before release. Has a strong following so far.

See any of those giants or big creatures from the trailer?

No on big creatures. I didn't venture very far in the little time I played. I just saw they closed the test and only option in steam is to uninstall the game.

I've watched this guy's Conan stuff for awhile and he did a 4 hour livestream of it. He said he'd been playing in closed alpha for awhile.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_D-ST2KM8

I remember it was a freebie with some of the cheap Arc cards a few months ago but I'm guessing the mixed reviews and EA issues along with no offline mode for single player are driving the prices down.

The visuals and art direction look great, to me.

and some aspects of the game also look good.

But, if building and resource management are unavoidable, it may not be for me. I've never been interested in games where you have to build and maintain structures. Especially when it makes me chop wood.

*Subnautica is pretty much a lone exception. A. I turned off "hunger", so that I wasn't literally dying from hunger, for being in the crafting menu for 10 minutes. B. you don't really have to maintain things after you build them. C. no chopping wood or extended, repetitive actions to gain resources. D. Subnautica is also otherwise a very good game. Which helps me overlook gameplay mechanics which I'm usually less interested in.

I remember it was a freebie with some of the cheap Arc cards a few months ago but I'm guessing the mixed reviews and EA issues along with no offline mode for single player are driving the prices down.
Must be something like that, the only time I've seen a price tank this fast is when a game is in a bundle or a paid giveaway like Prime or something.
Price is down to $13.37 now.

Offline Mode coming.
https://itemlevel.net/inflexion-gam...de-for-nightingale-following-player-backlash/

We’ve seen a lot of discussion in recent days around our decision to make Nightingale online-only at our Early Access release. We understand that this can be frustrating for a number of reasons.

Our vision for the game since inception was to create an interconnected series of Realms, with the idea of allowing for co-operative exploration in mind – a universe bigger than a single Realm or server. That meant we made a choice early in development between supporting co-op from day one or focusing development on an offline mode.

Co-operative gameplay associated with having party members across multiple Realms was the more technically challenging problem and therefore the one we chose to tackle first. Looking back on that decision, we misjudged what some of you were looking for in your experience.

We are now prioritizing and developing an offline mode that we plan to release as soon as feasible. Keep an eye on our social channels and Discord for updates in the coming weeks alongside other things we’re working on. Thank you to everyone who has stepped into the Realms with us so far – the journey has just begun and we look forward to sharing it with you all.”

Last edited:
Tried this out but it didn't grab my attention enough and I refunded it.

Graphically it looks good with some nice looking environments. Gameplay just had something off about it so that I wasn't engaged and interested to keep going. Didn't have that usual feeling of wanting to push forward to see what would unlock next when I play games like this.

Perhaps I will try it again on full release.

Looks decent, but between other games and Palworld I don't really have time for yet another survival crafting game.

Back