Night Sight unlocked APK for Pixel 1/2/3 is available and AMAZING

not sure if anyone has tried it yet, but a couple of days ago I saw the Google Camera app update then XDA showed that changing a single boolean to true would unlock the "Night Sight" feature. Had to try it

XDA Link here:
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-night-sight-google-camera-review/

I am still rocking a Pixel XL and the apk installed fine. I was skeptical, but after taking a few shots in the dark, I had no words. Even though its a two year old phone, I was pretty amazed at the low light images. I bet it looks amazing with the Pixel 2 and 3 cameras. And this is just the beginning I feel for computational photography.

Pictures will tell the tale. I had no tripod, turned off flash, default everything (such as HDR+), just held the phone normally in one position to take both shots. With and without Night Sight mode on.

IMG_20181026_011419.jpg IMG_20181026_011426.jpg
Potted plants near a night light.
IMG_20181025_230931.jpg IMG_20181025_230938.jpg
Bunny plush on a couch with night light in other room and stove light in kitchen far away.

Last edited:
On the haunted hayride, and it was dark there. I could barely see those witches.

Arnova GCam port was just released with Night Sight functionality. Just tested it out on my Essential phone and it works just like on the Pixels. Very cool!

Been playing with this camera app more, its so cool, just wish my cam was better.

If this is ported to the Oneplus 6, I will buy that phone. Holding out for a good near stock phone with headphone jack and flagship specs.

It's sort of like how new cameras are doing HDR video. Cool to see it enabled.
Some phones have it out of the box, most of the galaxys do it.

Looks pretty similar to what Huawei does with their night mode. Judging by the quality though Huawei is still ahead but it's about time that others would start doing the same.

Here is a video that does a direct comparison with the Pixels Night Sight vs Huawei P20 Night Mode:

very interesting since Pixels are single camera and Huawei have multi camera setups

Looks pretty similar to what Huawei does with their night mode. Judging by the quality though Huawei is still ahead but it's about time that others would start doing the same.
Huawei's night mode isn't very close to what this is doing.

With that said, Google's night sight is unnaturally good to the point where the way to tell it's not a night image is that it's not super crisp like what Pixels normally output.

been using it for over a week now, still blows people away when I demo it, especially when we were going through neighborhood haunted houses

I will definitely pick up a Pixel 3 or another phone if this gets ported to it.

There's already a port to OnePlus 6. Someone please test it!

My getting an OnePlus 6T depends on you!

Back