NieR Automata

Re[in]carnation looks to be a mobile iOS/Android title as opposed to a real game... Much disappoint.

Nier: Automata on Game Pass/Windows Store is a different port to the Steam version, doesn't need the fan fix

If you bought the version of Nier: Automata released on Steam in 2019, the 'Game of the YoRHa' edition, you'll remember the controversy...issues included locked framerate, stretched UI in ultrawide, awkward keyboard-and-mouse controls, and problems with resolution that could only be fixed by downloading a separate program to enable borderless windowed mode...some players experienced stuttering and even crashes.

No patch was released for any of these issues...modders eventually came to the rescue with FAR, the Fix Automata Resolution tool, which not only fixed the bugs but also improved the visuals

On March 18th Nier: Automata was added to the Game Pass for PC subscription service and put up for sale on the Windows Store...it's not the Game of the YoRHa edition, however, but the 'Become As Gods' edition released on Xbox One in 2018, with the DLC bundled in...though it doesn't have the Valve Character Accessory it's the same game—except that it comes with borderless windowed mode as standard so it runs at the right resolution, there's an option to enable FidelityFX CAS, and players aren't reporting any of the stutters or crashes that affected the previous PC release

While it still has a framerate capped at 60, this does seem like an overall substantially better port than the one released on Steam...

https://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automa...to-the-steam-version-doesnt-need-the-fan-fix/

Nier: Automata on Game Pass/Windows Store is a different port to the Steam version, doesn't need the fan fix

If you bought the version of Nier: Automata released on Steam in 2019, the 'Game of the YoRHa' edition, you'll remember the controversy...issues included locked framerate, stretched UI in ultrawide, awkward keyboard-and-mouse controls, and problems with resolution that could only be fixed by downloading a separate program to enable borderless windowed mode...some players experienced stuttering and even crashes.

No patch was released for any of these issues...modders eventually came to the rescue with FAR, the Fix Automata Resolution tool, which not only fixed the bugs but also improved the visuals

On March 18th Nier: Automata was added to the Game Pass for PC subscription service and put up for sale on the Windows Store...it's not the Game of the YoRHa edition, however, but the 'Become As Gods' edition released on Xbox One in 2018, with the DLC bundled in...though it doesn't have the Valve Character Accessory it's the same game—except that it comes with borderless windowed mode as standard so it runs at the right resolution, there's an option to enable FidelityFX CAS, and players aren't reporting any of the stutters or crashes that affected the previous PC release

While it still has a framerate capped at 60, this does seem like an overall substantially better port than the one released on Steam...

https://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automa...to-the-steam-version-doesnt-need-the-fan-fix/

Interesting. I never had any issues with the Steam release, but good to know this option is out there.

Uncapping the framerate made certain parts of the game unplayable / unable to progress. I believe one of the SHMUP portions didn't spawn enemies properly, IIRC, and you couldn't proceed past a certain point.

I heard with the Steam release the FAR mod was pretty much mandatory...sort of like DSfix was for Dark Souls

Yep, Maybe one day there'll be an official patch for the game ;)
On steam...

Last edited:
An upgrade patch for the Steam version of NieR Automata is in the works, Square Enix confirmed today...originally released in 2017, the Steam version of the second entry in the series released on Steam with a variety of issues that were never properly fixed, forcing players to install mods to play the game...more information on this highly-requested patch will be revealed at a later time...

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1381925380622192642

Per Digital Foundry, the GamePass version still has some issues (like the FPS hopping between 59-60) that were fixed by fan mods:

I have a love/hate relationship with GamePass. It's such a great concept, but making those games UWP apps is a nightmare. You can't mod them or access some of their configs, they regularly have issues with full/borderless toggles (and therefore vsync and HDR), updates roll out slower, etc. Sometimes the games just flat-out don't want to launch, too.

An upgrade patch for the Steam version of NieR Automata is in the works, Square Enix confirmed today...originally released in 2017, the Steam version of the second entry in the series released on Steam with a variety of issues that were never properly fixed, forcing players to install mods to play the game...more information on this highly-requested patch will be revealed at a later time...

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1381925380622192642

All they had to do was announce this from the start of the GamePass version coming to PC / Windows Store / Xbox etc and they could have avoided the whole review bombing element. I'm glad that they're patching the Steam version up to a parity level , but I hope that next time something like this happens they will set things up properly from the start. There are reports that even the Become As Gods Xbox/WinStore version doesn't fix all the stuff that the user-created mod/patch Special K / FAR does, but still its good to see things at least moving in the right direction and the Steam version given a parity experience.

Per Digital Foundry, the GamePass version still has some issues (like the FPS hopping between 59-60) that were fixed by fan mods:

I have a love/hate relationship with GamePass. It's such a great concept, but making those games UWP apps is a nightmare. You can't mod them or access some of their configs, they regularly have issues with full/borderless toggles (and therefore vsync and HDR), updates roll out slower, etc. Sometimes the games just flat-out don't want to launch, too.

I've never been a fan of UWP for the reasons you state, but also agree that GamePass as an idea may be worthwhile. However, I will not purchase it as it is but can only hope that Microsoft makes a smart choice for GamePass - bringing it to Steam. Watching MS support Xbox 360 / One / Series X gamepads on PC and eventually bring even their first party and published titles to Steam ( Halo Master Chief Collection, Sea of Thieves, Ori series, Age of Empires Definitive Edition series etc), it seems they understand that its better to release and support their titles widely on more open platforms rather than restrict everything to consoles/platforms they control or own. GamePass is one glaring absence in this regard.

Steam seems to already have the tech built in to support GamePass as evidenced by such things as the "EA Play" availability, among other elements such as timed game authorization and the like. Given that a great amount of the GamePass titles seem to be on Steam, all it would take is an option to either subscribe directly through and/or sync your Xbox account with a Steam account. With GamePass active, it would authorize all games granted by that service so long as you kept subscribing ; ideally, something like a different color name in the library would show the difference between titles granted via subscriptions like GamePass and a permanent/purchased license. This would be beneficial for everyone involved - Microsoft would gain access to a huge contingent of possible subscribers for the service, Steam would gain additional revenue thanks to the deal they'd make with MS (and among other opportunities), developers/publishers would have a major selling point to put their games on GamePass, and players would be able to use GamePass' wide assortment of titles on their platform of choice!

There's probably a significant amount if interested players who would subscribe to GamePass at least for a time if it was available through Steam, as for a variety of reasons the Windows Store / UWP / Specific App approach is not desirable. For instance, those who prefer Linux would have a much better experience on Steam, not to mention the massive benefits to titles on that platform in terms of modding, easy use of Steam features including Workshop, Proton, Steam Link, Remote Play Together, and more. I hope that Steam and Microsoft can come to an agreement soon, not just for Nier Automata and the upcoming Nier Replicant, but for all GamePass titles on the platform current and future.,

I tried the Gamepass version and it was super choppy. I've seen the Steam version drop to $5, so I'd happily hop on board if I see that again. The game seemed cool, but the choppiness drove me nuts.

Picked this up during the Steam sale. It didn't immediately pull me in but after 4 or 5 hours I'm really enjoying it. It's one of those rare games that feels like you're experiencing something special.

Performance has been great on my Linux desktop and Steam Deck. No issues at all.

Picked this up during the Steam sale. It didn't immediately pull me in but after 4 or 5 hours I'm really enjoying it. It's one of those rare games that feels like you're experiencing something special.

Performance has been great on my Linux desktop and Steam Deck. No issues at all.

Act 2 is a little repetitive considering it is Act 1 from the perspective of 9S (The cut scenes are appropriately different, but * most * of the missions are the same), but Act 3 is VERY different and VERY good. Stick it through and you will be well rewarded for your time and effort.

It's one of those rare games that feels like you're experiencing something special.
It really is. It feels very much like a Kojima game to me. Very weird and special.

When I first played this in 2017 I gave up after the first playthrough. I had zero interest in playing the same story again to unlock more content. But then some 3 years later I started playing again and became absolutely addicted. I don't know what changed but I'm glad I stuck with it because it became one of my favorite games of all time.

For those who are enjoying Nier: Automata, while its great some of the Xbox/Gamepass version updates have finally come to Steam, if you want to look into modding keep an eye on SpecialK - https://special-k.info/ - it has a huge suite of mods/fixes for many games including this one and is completely open source!

Those enjoying the unique story of Nier (and its more complex position within the Drakengard series lore), you may want to also check out "NieR Replicant" - - which is a remake of the prequel to Automata which, for the first time in the West, allows players to play the "brother's" story as opposed to the "father's" as the main point of view. Its not a direct remaster of the Japanese PS3 game, but in fact expands on it quite a bit so its a proper remake; those who have played Automata will certainly see some connections and vice versa! Combat and mechanics are similar with an action bend.

Also, while its complete unconnected to the NieR series, those who enjoyed some of the more unique mechanics, philosophical / thematic elements and the like yet are open to a "shmup" style of gameplay should check out the fantastic indie shooter "ZeroRanger": .

Back