NICs?

paintb4707

Limp Gawd
Well, Ive been having problems with my onboard NIC recentley (atleast I think). I just started playing red alert 2 again on my new pc and appearantly my internet gets "disabled" after I successfully finish one game online. Ive asked around and I been suggested getting a new NIC. Now, im not too experienced with these since onboard NIC was always the easiest way so what would you guys suggest?

is your speed and duplex set right? if not just put auto detect see if that works. also do you have the lastest drivers?

MaMMa said:
is your speed and duplex set right? if not just put auto detect see if that works. also do you have the lastest drivers?

Not really sure where to find the drivers. I have a marvel yukon gigabit ethernet adapter. And I never messed with the speed or duplex (dont even know how) so I doubt that could be a problem.

paintb4707 said:
Not really sure where to find the drivers. I have a marvel yukon gigabit ethernet adapter. And I never messed with the speed or duplex (dont even know how) so I doubt that could be a problem.
Just go to somewhere like Drivers Guide, or even google it and you should find some results for it. Use the model number of the card or the chip on it (you should be able to find one or both on the card itself) and put that into your search. Or go to the manufacturers website. The newer drivers could well help.

Does the problem only happen in that game, or in other situations?

NIC are a piece of cake to install...almost plug and play..just need the drivers and it should work fine...

4keatimj said:
Just go to somewhere like Drivers Guide, or even google it and you should find some results for it. Use the model number of the card or the chip on it (you should be able to find one or both on the card itself) and put that into your search. Or go to the manufacturers website. The newer drivers could well help.

Does the problem only happen in that game, or in other situations?

Only in RA2. This sounded fishy to me but the person I talked to insisted that it was my NIC

Its more than likely the game, or rather the games setup for networks. I'm not familiar with RA2, but as long as you've set the NIC up right in Windows (which, as lcboyee1123 said, should be done automatically), make sure as much as possible in RA2 is set up to be done automatically, you should be right. If it works fine in other games, then its definately something wrong with RA2, maybe a re-install is needed.

Im guessing you have an ASUS motherboard if you have a Marvel Yukon NIC... Either go to windows update (yeatch) or to your mobo's website (hurray!) and get the current driver for your board. Start there... If still acting crappy, delete the damn thing out of the Device Manager and restart yer puter...

Rune75 said:
Im guessing you have an ASUS motherboard if you have a Marvel Yukon NIC... Either go to windows update (yeatch) or to your mobo's website (hurray!) and get the current driver for your board. Start there... If still acting crappy, delete the damn thing out of the Device Manager and restart yer puter...

Intel D925XCV mobo :X I have an alienware pc. And I went to the intel website, looked up the model number, and I really couldnt find appropriate drivers. My computer is also up to date (windows-wise). Heres a link to the topic where I talked to the guy that told me it was my NIC: http://strike-team.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39759

look on your motherboard for manufacture name, goto that website and find the driver, there should be the manufacture name as well as the model number on the board, normally between the PCI slots

did this problem occur since the day you gotten the pc or did it just start? You said its an alienware pc, the price your paying for that, shouldnt you get support?

MaMMa said:
look on your motherboard for manufacture name, goto that website and find the driver, there should be the manufacture name as well as the model number on the board, normally between the PCI slots

did this problem occur since the day you gotten the pc or did it just start? You said its an alienware pc, the price your paying for that, shouldnt you get support?

I said above its an Intel board and I couldnt find appropriate drivers for my problem. The only drivers I saw were for raid, onboard audio, etc. And yes I do get support but I still dont really know if this is actually a hardware issue.

HTPC Rookie said:
Thanks. Now pardon my newbieness, but I went to update driver > select location > picked the driver folder and it found no new drivers. Did I do something wrong?

edit: They must be the wrong drivers. I did a search for the model number (88E8050) and found nothing on driverguide.

edit again: I found some under company "gateway". Dont know why but ill try em.

edit once again: they werent the right ones

According to the marvell website I think I have the latest drivers.

It'll probably work fine. I prefer to go with bigger names, they seem to have less issues. My preference is the Intel GB NICs....every uSoft OS from 98SE on up supports them right out of the box, and Windows update loads new drivers whenever they come out for them.

HTPC Rookie said:
It'll probably work fine. I prefer to go with bigger names, they seem to have less issues. My preference is the Intel GB NICs....every uSoft OS from 98SE on up supports them right out of the box, and Windows update loads new drivers whenever they come out for them.

Well I searched on newegg for intel nics and they can get quite expensive. (up to 100 bucks for a single input!) Im very confused though, what would make them so expensive? Anyways, maybe you can recommend one for me from the list here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=27&Submit=Property

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back