nicehash - trust to run on same system as sensitive data?

Hurin

2[H]4U
Pehaps a silly question. . . but if you had a file server that was already running 24/7 and you thought: "Why not just throw my extra video card(s) in there and mine a bit!?!". . .

Would you trust nicehash to run on a file server that potentially stores your backups, and other sensitive data?

--H

I don't know. I don't really trust nicehash at all, but I think I'm just paranoid because everyone else uses the heck out of it.

If a rig doesn't crash every once in a rare while you might not be trying hard enough.
No, I would never put mining GPUs in a system that must run 24/7, nor give control
over to nicehash. Nor run mining software that falsely flags virus, because one day
that flag might be real. Mining is for throwaway OS with nothing to lose.

No. If you have to ask, the answer is no.

From a crash to a breach to a possible virus (crypto is highly targeted right now, and who knows if an update will grab an infected piece of software). While they may only want your wallet, it'd also be a nice place to throw some ransomware up. They KNOW you have knowledge of Bitcoin, possibly have some in an offline wallet, etc.. Good target.

I would only put it on a system you're willing to lose data.

it doesn't take much to throw something together with spare parts to hold the GPU's. I have a bunch of core 2 era equipment sitting here as emergency backups. If you're [H] you have a closet full of parts.

it doesn't take much to throw something together with spare parts to hold the GPU's. I have a bunch of core 2 era equipment sitting here as emergency backups. If you're [H] you have a closet full of parts.
I've got my kids' computers and our steam box in the living room using the good stuff. :)

But, I appreciate the responses. Brought me back to reality. You know, when you start to lower your guard in moments of excitement or anxiety. ;)

Nicehash will never be hacked. Don't worry.

You're probably more right about that than you're intending to be. All of the addresses I've ever been paid out of were multi-sig addresses, and they're saying that one of their company computers were compromised using an engineer's credentials... why the hell does an engineer have access to any of the production payment systems' private keys, much less more than one set of them needed to authorize transactions?

Last edited:
You're probably more right about that than you're intending to be. All of the addresses I've ever been paid out of were multi-sig addresses, and they're saying that one of their company computers were compromised using an engineers credentials... why the hell does an engineer have access to any of the product payment systems' private keys, much less more than one set of them needed to authorize transactions?
thats what i commented during the stream. i seem to be leaning more and more towards an inside job. I guess with it being an east euro trash company it could be just clueless people.

Way too much money for any one person to have access to.
I feel awful for everyone that got scammed by this.

Back