Nice router with crappy modem?

Chapeau

Gawd
Is there any value in using a decent router with a terrible ISP provided modem?

My usual strategy is to use whatever modem is bundled with my internet plan until it dies and grab whatever middling tier modem/router is good value at the time.

This time around I'm considering using a slightly better router to cut through all the wireless interference in my apartment complex and to give MIMO a try.

I've shortlisted:
- Syntology RT2600AC
-TP Link AC2600
- Netgear Nighthawk X4S

Modem is a modem. As long as it's stable and delivers your speed your paying for then who really cares. If your renting then get your own. Solid 16x4 docis 3.0 modems are cheap nie

As someone who supported internet for 3 years, not all modems are the same. Even with the same specs on paper some just work better with less troubles.

OP, how do you know it is the router or modem that is being crappy? Have you tried running ethernet and seeing if it gets better?

It just all depends on the situation, yes it can make a difference. Doesnt mean it will.

Indeed - ethernet seems to be rock solid whereas wifi performance is slow and unreliable.
Previously I was using a Netgear Viper which was the only thing able to cut through the white noise. It's a full on wifi network battle here.

There is also a noticeable hit to speed with additional devices also which I assume is slow processing. For lack of a better term the "hand shake"" seems to take forever with the supplied equipment.

Thoughts?

Stop messing around and just get a unifi a.c. lite. All your problems will go away I promise

Go with ac, means upgrading some of your wifi cards possibly or go ethernet.

How many devices are ac ready in your network?

Yes, you can always get better wifi than a low end ISP provided gateway.

But what wi-fi router you should get depends on where you live (urban, suburbs, countryside) and how big your house is (apartment, duplex, townhome, house).

Different wi-fi environments have different challenges.

There are at least 4 ac devices here so luckily I'm good to go.

The unifi a.c. lite is interesting - great reviews.

But this is a WAP only. I assume I would need to still upgrade my modem/router to something more substantial to take advantage of it's wifi power.

Get the TP Link 2600AC, I have it and its great, have no issues with interference or anything. I always change the channel to a odd one that nobody will use.

It's looking pretty likely - it's easily available, the UI seems ok and the reviews are decent.

I got the best one they offered, set it to bridge mode and then ran it into a pfSense device with Unifi AP. At that point, the modem doesn't really matter much. I just wanted it to be stable, which it is. The others they offered seemed to have stability issues. Even though I wasn't going to use most things and it'd probably be stable with a smaller load, I didn't want to take a chance.

Previously, before I went bonded DSL (my only option), I had a Cisco NM for DSL that went into a nice Cisco router. Overkill for a home connection, but it was fun! :)

Unifi has a router that's just ethernet based and then you just need a standard modem. If it's cable get a docis 3.0 modem any unifi edge x and a unifi a.c. lite. I promise it will be your last setup. If you need more ethernet ports get a cheap metal 8 port trendnet gig switch. My current up time on my ac lite is almost 90 days.

Unifi has a router that's just ethernet based and then you just need a standard modem. If it's cable get a docis 3.0 modem any unifi edge x and a unifi a.c. lite. I promise it will be your last setup. If you need more ethernet ports get a cheap metal 8 port trendnet gig switch. My current up time on my ac lite is almost 90 days.

Just jumped on their website - you mean the Amplifi?
It's a pretty nice looking little unit. Specs cover everything also QoS would be nice too..
Good looking out!

Back