NIC becoming 'disabled' automatically

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by shroomiin, Jun 17, 2013.

1. shroomiin

shroomiin Gawd

Hey-

So we have an issue with a PC and its networks.

It has 2 NICs, 1 on board 1 pci card. One network is /23 the other /24.
    The /24 network adapter will automatically be put into disabled mode at random, and displays "media unoperational" as the media state when doing ipconfig.
    Drivers are up to date.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

2. BigBadAl

BigBadAl Limp Gawd

There isn't a short in the cable is there? Have you tried swapping it out? Or even swap them round.....

Just a thought....

3. bloodypulp

bloodypulp Gawd

try disable Power Management. your network traffic may be routing through the /23 interface so the /24 interface is not being used

4. shroomiin

shroomiin Gawd

Have not yet tried moving cables or switching adapters... this pc is in a box 50 feet in the air on a factory floor lol. Thanks for the suggestion though. It works for a while then fails.

5. Cardinals

Cardinals Limp Gawd

Are they both connected to the same switch? managed switch? Is said managed switch disabling the second port automatically?

6. shroomiin

shroomiin Gawd

No they are connected to two separate cisco switches.

7. ciggwin

ciggwin [H]ardness Supreme

which NIC is it? onboard or pci?
    is there anti-virus?

we once had an issue with Symantec disabling the network adapter for some stupid reason.

[​IMG]

8. shroomiin

shroomiin Gawd

ciggwin-

That is definitely a possibility. We run Symantec endpoint protection.

The problem NIC is the PCIEx1- when I was investigating the issue at the physical machine itself, I noticed that although the card appeared to be seated properly within the slot, there was a lot of force being put on the card by the mounting bracket in a backward direction (toward the front of the case).

I'm thinking this pressure could have forced the pins to be slightly out of line which would lead to this unstable functionality.

Any input on that? Also- do you remember why symantec was killing the adapter?

9. ciggwin

ciggwin [H]ardness Supreme

It was the Network Threat Protection part of it. Something didn't jive, so SEP said "I'm going to disable this adapter because it isn't compliant"

I uninstalled SEP and it worked fine.

I later re-installed with a new package that did not include NTP. Haven't had a problem since.

[​IMG]