NIC always reports "Cable Disconnected"

I accidentally let the primary internet connection hit the VM connection I have. Now no matter what I do (disable the NIC and restarting it, windows repair, disabling the connection and enabling it) it still says "A network cable is unplugged". The cable 100% alive to an internet connection, I know that for sure. It's not the card either cause I'm using a base station and a laptop (two different ethernet slots). Any ideas?

I'm reading this and maybe it's me and the fact that's it's Friday but I'm confused.

Your main Internet connection "hit" your VM connection (by VM connection do you mean a virtual server in ESXi or something to that effect)?

If it's a physical machine throw a Live CD of Ubuntu in there and see if your box gets connected that way (eliminate the OS). If it works it's definately some type of a Windows issue. Have you noticed any other strange symptoms?

Well using VMWare with Server 03 on it, i selected the use computer's connection. This is what caused the issue. I think it may have shut down a port on the switch or something. I don't have access to that switch so I'll have to get someone to look into it.

if you are at work they likely have switchport port security enabled on your switchport if it's a cisco switch

switchport port security mac address sticky
switchport posrt security maximum 1
switchport port security violation restrict

:)

edit: The reason it shutdown your port (if it's configued according to y assumption, is that it detected another mac on your switchport, causing the violation, triggering the restrict, you need ot get an admin to enable your switchport and set maximum to 2, or you should use NAT on your VM

Berg0, you were right man. It was the stupid cisco switch disabling my port. But the tech guys got it working (after half a day) since they won't give me access to do it myself...

lol, people pull this crap at our office all the time, and then whine when we take our time to get around to enabling it.

Berg0, you were right man. It was the stupid cisco switch disabling my port. But the tech guys got it working (after half a day) since they won't give me access to do it myself...

I do the same thing to my users :D

Back