NHTSA Stops Autonomous School Bus Company from Transporting Children to School

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Oct 23, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

The regulators at the NHTSA have issued a letter to Transdev North America to immediately stop transporting children to school on their new innovative autonomous school bus. Transdev says that the EZ10 Generation II driverless shuttle was picking up children in an controlled environment in the Babcok Ranch community in Southwestern Florida without issue. Transdev has a temporary importation authorization to bring the bus in for testing and demonstration purposes, but the NHTSA says that carrying children to school was never part of Transdev's approved test project. The self driving bus has a top speed of 8mph with the potential to reach 30 mph with the necessary infrastructure upgrades in place. The shuttle service was available as an on demand, door to door service utilizing an integrated app.

"Innovation must not come at the risk of public safety," said Heidi King, NHTSA Deputy Administrator. "Using a non-compliant test vehicle to transport children is irresponsible, inappropriate, and in direct violation of the terms of Transdev's approved test project,"

The company said it believed the pilot met the requirements of the testing and demonstration project approved by NHTSA for adults and children to ride on the same route. It added that it did not sacrifice safety for progress, would never do so, and was committed to complying with regulations.

2. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder who the parents of the year are that let their kids get on this thing....I wonder if they thought about the whole safety aspect of it while they were uploading the 4k clips to YouTube..........

mynamehere likes this.
  3. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Our Values

Around the World, Our Teams Share a Set of Core Beliefs

Around the world, we share a common set of core beliefs. They are made up of our Credo, uncompromising safety; ethics; values; and our corporate social responsibility.

4. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Thought Article said anonymous. I was wtf, Candy Van?

5. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Could you imagine being stuck in traffic behind this bus that moves at 8mph?

6. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

pretty sure they had to ride it with their kids.. but the thing goes 8mph in a closed community, wtf risk is there? that it might go 9mph?

7. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Full of kids, It drives off the road in to a pond? If the thing is only going 8mph and has to make multiple stops it's faster to walk to school anyway

8. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Air conditioning. It gets extremely hot and humid down here 50 out of 54 weeks of the year.

That said, I walked 2 miles home from the bus stop in the same weather every day when I was in school.

9. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Funny thing when I was in middle school my bus stop was about the same distance from my school. I just walked. I was one of the first stop so I had to be up early to catch it and then drive around on it for 45 mins before getting to school. I rather sleep a extra 45 mins and take then 5 min walk to school.

BloodyIron, tunatime, Ranulfo and 2 others like this.
  10. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Florida man to the rescue!

11. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

Are those their legitimate values listed? That's so low effort, not to mention redundant.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  12. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

I gotta be honest man.....most of the buses I'm stuck behind sure *feel* like they're moving at 8mph, with only the occasional burst of Diesel Smoke to indicate forward movement....

But if they were actually moving at 8mph...yeah, true, I'd be on the roof with the magnum going full CNN-Breaking-News.......agreed.

#brutal

Wrecked Em and cageymaru like this.
  13. WtBadAss

WtBadAss Limp Gawd

Babcock Ranch is a closed community that has been built to be "The town of the Future". Kind of like paying to live in a lame version of tomorrow land.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  14. damicatz

damicatz 2[H]4U

I grew up in the south and we never had any air conditioning on our buses. You rolled down the windows. They've only recently started speccing AC for buses within the last 10 years.

15. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Same. Kids don't know how good they have it these days with dark tinting and air conditioning. Freshman year in high school my stop was the last of a 90 minute ride, at which point I had that 20-22 minute 2 mile walk I mentioned earlier.

16. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Don't forget seat belts today if they are equipped with them. No such thing back in the day. I had to ride the bus across town (1+ hour) because I was in the IB program, only one high school here at the time had it. Kids today shouldn't complain at all.

17. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

This is a location that really never should have a driverless position. A bus driver frequently has to intervene in the dumassary of kids and without that alone you will have large issues.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  18. sirmonkey1985

cough and threw things out the window into traffic cough.. :) i can neither confirm nor deny that i may or may not have possibly done this as a kid, lol. btw fuck school buses, i prefered walking the 1.25 miles to school every day then ride in those disease infested death traps.

19. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

It's still an ongoing debate if seat belts are necessary up here. http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/10/16/why-no-seatbelts-in-school-busses/

20. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

watching the video, at the end when it reaches the school, you see an adult step out first then direct the kids.. so there is someone in there.

also, looks to be a private enclosed stepford style community, LOL, from the video.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  21. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Ummm, that it might drive right out in front of a semi rig doing 45mph

22. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

There are no semi's in that gated community, I'm surprised they allow cars at all and don't force everyone to use segways

23. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

If only it was possible to have that one person drive the bus

24. sirmonkey1985

highly recommend you look up the community on a map..

25. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

26. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

Can vehicles not exit that community?

Are they stuck their, armed guards at the gates?

Is that bus not physically able to leave, at 8mph?

The barriers you trust that keep that vehicle inside it's intended testing grounds may not be so great? What if it decides to "Phone Home" in person? Just drives off the reservation?

Are you thinking that the software controls that keep that vehicle inside it's testing grounds are any more trustworthy than the software that allowed that Uber taxi to run over a pedestrian walking acrossed the road with a bicycle in hand?

27. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Looks like it may be faster if the kids use a bike instead of the bus

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  28. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Am I the only one creeped out by the fact it drives along at the speed of a pedo's van?

lcpiper likes this.
  29. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

Sure are. I pulled them from the upper part of the page I linked to.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  30. mord

mord Limp Gawd

"Innovation must not come at the risk of public safety,"

We hate innovation. Dont want none o that.

31. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

To be fair if the test that was approved did not include transport of kids, then they have a legit concern.

I'm all for development of things like this, but testing needs to be controlled fully during refinement.

Seriously, I want this.

32. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

So ? You send off your kids to school at 5 in the morning, and then they will be there on time.
    I prefer the Danish way:
    1: teach them to ride a bicycle.
    2: send them off 30 minutes before class, and tell them to push those pedals hard.

This are however a thing that are on the way out as parents are much worried about traffic near schools, which pretty much consist of other parents on the way to drop their kids off. :rolleyes:

"How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress."

33. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

It does seem a bit silly to test-drive automation tech with children onboard... I mean, I understand that it isn't difficult to do, and it's easy to prove the tech, but "test" and "children on board" is going to piss off lots of people regardless of those facts. That would be more of a last vestige of the automated driving transition.

Besides, vehicle automation doesn't have as much impact for buses. It's better reserved for uncommon routes and personal "chauffeur" services to optimize traffic. Buses already have most of that going for them. And I'm guessing that most places have some legal requirement that an adult is present with the children for unrelated legal reasons (like a guardianship or chaperone). It's just a silly idea at the core.

34. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

Unsupervised kids in an enclosed moving 5-10 thousand pound vehicle. What could possibly go wrong? Even w/o AI issues there's other things to consider.