NHL08

Bowhuntr11

[H]F Junkie
Anybody getting it? I am going to pick it up after work. Maybe somebody can tell me how it plays before I get it. :p

( I would see if there are any reviews out, but work filter doesn't let me get to em :( )

I just might...I was really impressed with the demo and I'm STOKED that I can do the flying V in a hockey game now:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

92 - EGM
08 is the best hockey game in years. [Oct 2007, p.87]

90 - Team Xbox
More precise skate speed control and a revised skill stick make NHL 08 an icy-hot dream.

89 - IGN
EA finally chucked its desire to marry arcade fun with its simulation and got hockey right. NHL 08 has a few nagging flaws -- occasionally suspect team AI, clipping issues, and a lack of ESPN flavor -- but it has nailed the gameplay.

85 - Official Xbox Magazine
Yes, NHL 08 can feel challenging and hard, but it rewards you with the sport's best representation in videogame form that we've seen yet. [Oct 2007, p.73]

Thanks John! Can't wait now...your going to make me take off work early aren't ya :p

It is suppose to be coming out today.

Checking all the ship dates showing 9/12. which is tomorrow, meaning in stores thursday. Also EA's adverts say in stores thursday. Unless something has changed. Id love it if it was out today! You getting it for PS3 or 360 btw?

Checking all the ship dates showing 9/12. which is tomorrow, meaning in stores thursday. Also EA's adverts say in stores thursday. Unless something has changed. Id love it if it was out today!

Gamestop said they should be getting it around noon today, just called them. Guess we shall see.

I'm getting it for PS3, sports games always feel/play better for me on that system.

read the ign review, they said the framerate is a problem on the ps3 version, thats why it scored lower than the 360 version

Gamestop said they should be getting it around noon today, just called them. Guess we shall see.

I'm getting it for PS3, sports games always feel/play better for me on that system.

Just called my gamestop, they said the 2k8 is out today and NHL 08 will be in tomorrow afternoon.

I'll be picking it up. I liked 07 and the demo was fun for 08. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new jerseys anyways.

read the ign review, they said the framerate is a problem on the ps3 version, thats why it scored lower than the 360 version

Yeah, you can show me a game with 30fps vs a game with 60fps. I wouldn't know the difference. I don't with NCAA fb 08.

Just called my gamestop, they said the 2k8 is out today and NHL 08 will be in tomorrow afternoon.

I hate you. I think my gamestop heard you, I go over there and they say "Oh yeah its 2k8 not 08." But you were wrong also on in stores thursday, so we both lose and I feel better. :p

I have every EA NHL game from 94 and have 2k3, 2k4, and 2k5, and NHL 08 is easily the best hockey game I've ever played.

I picked it up from my local Gamestop this morning.

Be sure to post impressions....I'm not into sports games really, but my GF and I played NHL 2003 (i think?) together a lot for xbox, and I'd like to get whichever is the best of the new ones if they're good, and it's sounding like they are.

I'm the first to admit my hate for EA and some of the things they do but I have to admit after playing all of the demos for this years sports games I'm very interested and I'm not really a sports game fan! I've bought one sports game this gen and last gen. I think the last time I really had a blast with one was NBA jam on the SNES.

NHL 08
Madden 08
Tiger 08
skate

They are all really a lot of fun. I wouldn't say 10's but they feel a lot more fun to me than past ps1 to 360 gen sports games. As soon as all the AAA stuff like Bioshock stop hitting they are sooo bought.

but my GF and I played NHL 2003 (i think?) together a lot for xbox, and I'd like to get whichever is the best of the new ones if they're good, and it's sounding like they are.

My g/f has only played one game more then once, that I have bought. And that was NHL07, she loved it (really only the shoot-out mode because she doesn't understand the rules).

Anyways, we picked it up at lunch and I can't wait to play it. She has started trash talking me since yesterday. Its time I beat her down!!!

I have every EA NHL game from 94 and have 2k3, 2k4, and 2k5, and NHL 08 is easily the best hockey game I've ever played.

I picked it up from my local Gamestop this morning.

omg...I want to play so bad right now. I will play in like 7 hours :(

My g/f has only played one game more then once, that I have bought. And that was NHL07, she loved it (really only the shoot-out mode because she doesn't understand the rules).

Anyways, we picked it up at lunch and I can't wait to play it. She has started trash talking me since yesterday. Its time I beat her down!!!

omg...I want to play so bad right now. I will play in like 7 hours :(

I'm picking it up after work. I have the PS3 version reserved, but im thinking of swapping for the 360 version just because i have a few coworkers getting it for the 360 and they want to do an online league. Not sure yet though.

I'm picking it up after work. I have the PS3 version reserved, but im thinking of swapping for the 360 version just because i have a few coworkers getting it for the 360 and they want to do an online league. Not sure yet though.

I got the ps3 version also...I actually didn't see any 360 ones. He opened the box in front of me. There were like 3x ps2, 1 pc-dvd, 5x ps3....But I am guessing maybe there was another box, but he said "This is the nhl08 box". And it was unopened till he got mine out. :p

Just finished playing this game, this game looks like CRAP!!!!!!!!!! EA SPORTS sucks, MADDEN 08 sucked, NHL 08 sucks, NBA LIVE 08 will suck, anything EA puts out is crap, i hope EA goes under for scewing people like this, good thing i didnt pay for this POS......i feel like im playing a game made in 2002, POS EA...........stop being lazy and make a damn game u HAGS..............EA HASBEENS.

I need help with aiming. I did the accuracy drill and went 0-73 breaking the plates before i quit. How the hell do you aim a shot?

Game is amazing. I love it. Graphics are top notch, runs smooth. I did trade out my ps3 preorder for the 360 version due to all my friends getting it on the 360 for an online league.

The ps3 version is ok...Not too much difference in-game wise from 07. Looks like they kind of ported another game again.....

The faces on the players are the worst part though, they can blind you because the light reflects off them like no other. :rolleyes:

The faces on the players are the worst part though, they can blind you because the light reflects off them like no other. :rolleyes:

would u have rather them kept last years models, which they only did the faces for the more known players. sundin,smyth, crosby, ovechkin? alot the defencmen all had the same faces, and the goalies, well, they did no work on them at all.

I'll probably pick this up next week. I'm usually a 2K guy for hockey, but last years wasn't that great and from the sounds of it 2k8 is worse.

Buckweed said:
the online play is flat out broken. need a fix ASAP i want teamplay working!

How is online broken?

I'll probably pick this up next week. I'm usually a 2K guy for hockey, but last years wasn't that great and from the sounds of it 2k8 is worse.

How is online broken?

80% of the time the 1 on 1 mode will work for you and so will the shootout, if it doesnt, you get disconnected or your console freezes completely, all the other modes, team play, two on two, ect dont work at all. you always get disconnceted.

Just finished playing this game, this game looks like CRAP!!!!!!!!!! EA SPORTS sucks, MADDEN 08 sucked, NHL 08 sucks, NBA LIVE 08 will suck, anything EA puts out is crap, i hope EA goes under for scewing people like this, good thing i didnt pay for this POS......i feel like im playing a game made in 2002, POS EA...........stop being lazy and make a damn game u HAGS..............EA HASBEENS.
fuck call the waaaaambulance. how's that money spent treating ya? interesting how one can say the graphics kick ass and another says this ...you better get coding and make your own games if not get a pc and "legitmize" your software so you're not flaming over $ spent :rolleyes:

would u have rather them kept last years models, which they only did the faces for the more known players. sundin,smyth, crosby, ovechkin? alot the defencmen all had the same faces, and the goalies, well, they did no work on them at all.

I am not saying it is worse then last years, and I give them props for trying. Just the glare is killing me. But I played it some more last night and it was alot better. So I am getting happier...

Oh btw, is the SIM time hella long for anybody else? I try to sim in dynasty and it takes f'in forever! About the same as the PS1/2 was :p

I don't know about just one season mode...but there is dynasty mode, which would be the same as a season mode right? You could just end it after the first season if you wanted to, I guess.

(I am at least speaking for the ps3 version)

I don't know about just one season mode...but there is dynasty mode, which would be the same as a season mode right? You could just end it after the first season if you wanted to, I guess.

(I am at least speaking for the ps3 version)

Yeah but I don't want to mess with contracts and seat prices and all that stuff. That might be fun to play with at some point but I just want to play a season of hockey without all that money related stuff. But I guess I don't have a choice?

I like it better than 07 version. They finally got the pace of the game right and players use more realistic moves. 07 version runs too fast even on the slowest setting.

Is the PS3 version OK? I am thinking of getting it as EA is ignoring all Xbox360 Asian NHL gamers (I live in Hong Kong). The Xbox360 US version is region locked so no good importing that to Hong Kong.

I can either (a) mod my Xbox to play import, which I don't want to as a squashed fly lives longer than an Xbox360 so I need the 3 year warranty (b) buy a PS3 and import PS3 version but IGN says the PS3 verion framerate sucks (c) forget about NHL. I am leaning towards (b) so need opinions on how PS3 version plays.

Wow. All I can say is wow. I was blown away playing it last night (on 360). I have been playing every hockey game since Blades of Steel and I have to say, they finally got it right!

The skating is unbelievable. As soon as the game started I knew it was going to be good. The players actually have more than two speeds now. You can slowly bring them down, they turn realistically, you can stop quickly. The first time I had the puck I tried to do my quick 360 turn I have always done and I lost the puck! The skating REALLY makes the entire game. It's shocking how GOOD it is because of the skating. It affect everything. Speed of the game, control, the grinding, shots, etc. It feels like you're actually on ice.

The game also makes you play real hockey, too! In 07 my friend and I would win 10-2, 7-3, 7-1. We got smoked in 08 because we were taking people out of position and the AI was taking advantage. We lost 5-1. We spent the night re-learning actual hockey. Clearing the lanes, following guys in the slot, making sure we were in between the player with the puck and the potential pass. You can actually see the plays developing and we were finally able to play games where we lost or won 3-2, 4-3, 2-1. You know, actual hockey scores.

The offense is great. No more insta-passes or passes through 7 guys to someone up front. You have to have a clear lane. When you score it feels very rewarding. No cheap goalies anymore or the feeling you just have to shoot 20 times to score. And oh, my! Rebounds! They finally got those right in the game! I scored one of my few taking a slapshot low at an angle, and then getting the rebound on the other side.

The puck control and hits are a lot better. You can actually steal the puck away, push people off the puck, and they don't take the puck away from you if they're within 8 feet. I always hated them stealing the puck from you when they were BEHIND you. That's gone. it's not a hit-fest either. It's not big hit after big hit. You can still smoke someone but it's not near what it was. It's more realistic. People jostling, the puck getting loose, etc. There's real grinding on the boards and you feel like you are really working for it!

If you have played 07 or even if you've played another game, be prepared to get your butt kicked at first but just start thinking clean, safe hockey. Be prepared to actually work on defense, too! And on offense it's not the run-and-gun of 07. Take it into the zone and they will actually let you setup plays and work it around!

Finally after all these years a great hockey game. I haven't run into any bugs yet but I'm also not playing online. We're playing local with two players. Best EA game in a long time.

Is the PS3 version OK? I am thinking of getting it as EA is ignoring all Xbox360 Asian NHL gamers (I live in Hong Kong). The Xbox360 US version is region locked so no good importing that to Hong Kong.

I can either (a) mod my Xbox to play import, which I don't want to as a squashed fly lives longer than an Xbox360 so I need the 3 year warranty (b) buy a PS3 and import PS3 version but IGN says the PS3 verion framerate sucks (c) forget about NHL. I am leaning towards (b) so need opinions on how PS3 version plays.

I read the 360 and PS3 version are the same so you should be good to go get it.

Being a huge fan of NHL 2K7 and I hope others are as well but tempted to make the jump after reading all the reviews. Anyone else in the same poisition?

Anybody getting it? I am going to pick it up after work. Maybe somebody can tell me how it plays before I get it. :p

( I would see if there are any reviews out, but work filter doesn't let me get to em :( )

Awesome reviews for the game across the board as far as i've read. 8.5 on Gamespot.

Every other review, reviewed them the same. So, unless IGN is biased, it really doesn't matter. GAmespot gave both a 8.5, and I read nothing of a decrease in framerate. And, this stupid crap about higher framerate being better, is stupid. I mean, yeah it's alright and you may get the impression of it being more fluent, but at least with a locked frame rate there's no tearing, or any other artifacts. Besides, the human eye can't notice more than 30 anyway.

Besides, the human eye can't notice more than 30 anyway.

People believe that? :confused:

So how is online play? Does it end up being a one-timer fest or some other move over and over, or is it actually competitive?

People believe that? :confused:

So how is online play? Does it end up being a one-timer fest or some other move over and over, or is it actually competitive?

Goalies are actually really good against one timers. Much harder to make it a one time fest. Takes a bit more skill in knowing where ur aiming the puck on your shots to score.

Back