NHL Team Bans Fortnite on Road Trips

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The Vancouver Canucks have banned the game Fortnite on road trips as a punishment for team struggles. Other hockey teams have suggested that they would ban their members from carrying their prized PlayStation consoles on the road if they were to have a losing streak. Some said that other teams were using Fortnite as an excuse to blame bad season records on. Even junior hockey players are struggling to maintain 2 a.m. Fortnite sessions and still perform well at practice or a game the next day. Some wouldn't mind a ban on video games though. Jake Gardiner said, "I wouldn't mind [a ban] either. Video games get out of control. You're on the road to spend time with teammates."

"I don't think 'Fortnite's' the problem," Hyman said. "I think that you can get addicted to anything. If you're sitting there playing 'Fortnite' for 12 hours a day, it's probably not the best thing for you, but if you play it like a normal person -- one or two hours a day -- then you're fine. ... If you're going out all night [partying], you're addicted to going out. That's not good either."

Fail, on so many levels with assumptions and opinionated understandings in this article. It's embarrassing.

"Play like a normal person"
Taking away video games like they are in grade school
Saying to spend more time with teammates who you already see more than your family AND that's who you're playing the game with.

The only thing accurate in article is this:

"I think they just needed something to blame after last year," - Yeah, bad players and clearly bad management.

Money, ice time and their job are the proper punishments.

Last edited:
It's not going to be a good year for the Canucks no matter what they do unfortunately. Also, today is their first regular season game... so punish your pre-season trash lineups? Either way, I empathize... not that gaming till the wee hours of the night is a smart move - they probably going to see a lot of bag skates and other punishments for under performance in general.

Last edited:
Talk about lack of personal space. Are you never "allowed" your own shit on the road? That's ridiculous.

If they don't perform, can them! You think video game banning will change their attitude? Probably not.

It's not going to be a good year for the Canucks no matter what they do unfortunately. Also, today is their first regular season game... so punish your pre-season trash lineups? Either way, I empathize... not that gaming till the wee hours of the night is a smart move - they probably going to see a lot of bag skates and other punishments for under performance in general.

Well...this draconian measure appears to be working. Canucks are in a tie for #1 in the standings. Undefeated in the entire 2018-2019 campaign. At least for a couple more days. :)

If their on the clock ........ Well you know what I'm going to say.

But if transit is on the players time they should be free to unwind

Opposed to alcohol, drugs, sexual misconduct ect, fortnights not a bad tradeoff. . .

Lol.. I'm sure the NFL and NBA WISHED their players were up too late due to video games versus the alternative.. Clubs.. bars.. shooting yourself in the leg..

Im a huge NBA nerd and most of the younger NBA players do play a lot of video games and even stream it.

Maybe if it was a team based game, like Counter-Strike or Overwatch. 'Cause it's bad if the stay-at-home defenseman keeps checking his own goalie.

To be fair the only games the Canucks are likely to win this year will be in Fortnite.

"I don't think 'Fortnite's' the problem," Hyman said. "I think that you can get addicted to anything

Decades of examples of addiction and they still obsess about symptoms rather than causes. Doesn't matter if it's sex, drugs, alcohol, games, etc. We all have needs. Between performance issues and this, it's seems obvious the needs of the players and team are not being met. They need to look at a cause instead of trying to control the symptoms.

you guys have it all wrong.. the team did not ban fortnite. The players themselves made the band for themselves.

I find it hard to believe that they will really miss playing fortnite.

Decades of examples of addiction and they still obsess about symptoms rather than causes. Doesn't matter if it's sex, drugs, alcohol, games, etc. We all have needs. Between performance issues and this, it's seems obvious the needs of the players and team are not being met. They need to look at a cause instead of trying to control the symptoms.

Why bother? Just be authoritarian about it and it should go away. Right? No? Well, shut up!

Not surprised. What is the minimum starting salary for a NHL player this season? $650K? At that level, actors, sports figures, and executives have restrictions on what they can and cannot do in their lives. Among those is a prohibition on certain activities especially those that can be considered hazardous such as using ATVs, skydiving, scuba diving and such. So, it's plausible that video game playing would be thrown in as a contractual condition, especially when it affects the amount of rest a player gets and how it affects playing performance.

How about not allowing players to play it ... because it is a terrible game.

Also, the team wouldn't implement such drastic measures if it wasn't actually a problem.

Back