NH-D15 can't handle an i9-10850k? What am I doing wrong?

M Diddy

Limp Gawd
Just finished building my new rig. Specs below:

i9-10850K
NH-D15 Chroma Black
Giga Aorus Ultra Z940
Crucial DDR4
Meshify S2 Case (3x140 intakes, 140 Exhaust rear and 140 Exhaust Top)

According to Core Temp, the CPU (clocked at 5 Ghz) idles between 25-30 C, which is normal. When I run Prime95 (either small or large FFts) the temp immediately shoots up to the high 80's on a few cores in about 5 seconds. The rest soon follow. In about 45 seconds, I have cores that are hitting 100C and throttling. No bueno.

When I first put the cooler on, I used some old PK-3 that I have for the TIM. Thinking maybe the stuff was bad (it's about 8 years old), I removed the D15, and used the Noctua TIM that came with the cooler. Re-installed. Same result.

My old build was a i-4770k and a Thermalright U-120Extreme. I ran Prime on that last week to see if my system was still stable. After an hour of running large FFTs, my 4770k OC'd to 4.3 Ghz never went above 75C, and that's after the cooler being mounted for 8 years.

From everything I've read, the NH-D15 is pretty much the pinnacle of air cooling. I know the i9's run hot, but, I would think this cooler should be able to handle an OC to 5Ghz at least. Not sure what could be wrong here, but curious if others are seeing the same results.

UltraTaco

Gawd
NH-D15 is pretty much the pinnacle of air cooling. I know the i9's run hot, but, I would think this cooler should be able to handle an OC to 5Ghz at least.
Mate, at least? Not even all chips reach that, mate.

M Diddy

Limp Gawd
Mate, at least? Not even all chips reach that, mate.
From everything I've read/seen, the 10900 and 10850 (same chip with a worse bin) should have no problems hitting 5Ghz at all. The default Turbo OC on my board was 4.8 Ghz.

UltraTaco

Gawd
Are you talking all core 5ghz or just single core stuff, mate? Anyways, glad it worked our😊

doyll

[H]ard|Gawd
Sounds like you solved it, and you have a good cooling system setup. 👍

Keep in mind coolers can only cool as well as temp of air flowing into them. Ideal is for air entering cooler to be only 2-3c warmer than room, 5c max. That is with both CPU and GPU under full load. Their max stable temp should be reached in 3-5 minutes from idle temp, and when load drops back to idle temps stabilize in same 3-5 minutes. Key is good case airflow and yours seems to be good. Basic guide to airflow and how to optimize case airflow in link below might be of interest:
https://hardforum.com/threads/basic-guide-to-improving-case-airflow.1987938/

M Diddy

Limp Gawd
Are you talking all core 5ghz or just single core stuff, mate? Anyways, glad it worked our😊

Sounds like you solved it, and you have a good cooling system setup. 👍

Keep in mind coolers can only cool as well as temp of air flowing into them. Ideal is for air entering cooler to be only 2-3c warmer than room, 5c max. That is with both CPU and GPU under full load. Their max stable temp should be reached in 3-5 minutes from idle temp, and when load drops back to idle temps stabilize in same 3-5 minutes. Key is good case airflow and yours seems to be good. Basic guide to airflow and how to optimize case airflow in link below might be of interest:
https://hardforum.com/threads/basic-guide-to-improving-case-airflow.1987938/
It was the AVX settings for sure. I ran for 1 1/2 hours without them and temps on all cores were around 75-78C which is what I was expecting to see. Have been overclocking since my Q6600, so I knew what I was seeing wasn't correct.

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
You need to set an AVX offset as a safety measure.
Hammering with prime isn't the same as finding the mean voltages btw synthetics and your real world workloads.
Getting your voltages down might get you thermal headroom so your baked in boost curves actually matter bc your Noctua has a chance to push off thermal soak.

I'm a huge fan of adaptive voltage after finding my limits when air cooling.

freeagentt

Weaksauce
That's cheating :D

If you have to use an AVX offset to run a certain clock means you cant cool it and shouldn't be running it there. Gimping it to run a faster clock to me is just wrong and in my eyes is a fake overclock 😎

Reactions: spine
like this

Nenu

[H]ardened
That's cheating :D

If you have to use an AVX offset to run a certain clock means you cant cool it and shouldn't be running it there. Gimping it to run a faster clock to me is just wrong and in my eyes is a fake overclock 😎
If the workload doesnt use AVX he can keep the higher overclock.
If it does use AVX, the clock is reduced appropriately.
This is THE POINT of AVX offset, and it prevents you needing a theology of overclocking ;)
What you think about it is not relevant.

Last edited:

merid14

Weaksauce
TIL: What AVX and AVX offset were.

That great to know. It may not be TRUE over clocking but I ran a i7 920 for 10 years oc WITH speedstep enabled. Do you know how much money I saved by doing that? Lol

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
TIL: What AVX and AVX offset were.

That great to know. It may not be TRUE over clocking but I ran a i7 920 for 10 years oc WITH speedstep enabled. Do you know how much money I saved by doing that? Lol

Probably not as much as you think unless you were using the computer 24/7/365.

merid14

Weaksauce
Well I never turned it off. When I wasn’t using it basically sat idle generating very little heat using very little energy. Trust me I tested electric usage with and without. And the heat generation alone is huge.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Well I never turned it off. When I wasn’t using it basically sat idle generating very little heat using very little energy. Trust me I tested electric usage with and without. And the heat generation alone is huge.

Did it ever "sleep" when you weren't using it?

In order to OC those old LGA1366 CPU's the BCLK had to be pushed pretty high. You weren't downclocking as much as with newer CPUs, and Speedstep wasn't downclocking the voltage as much either. I had a X5660 that would downclock to 2.4Ghz because the multiplier was low and BCLK was high. That's a far cry from the 800Mhz, 20W or less generated by newer Intel CPUs.

merid14

Weaksauce
I've never been able to get windows to sleep and wake up properly or consistently. Also, I dont know about you but when i'm using my pc, 90% of the time i'm not gaming, thread crunching ect. I'm mostly surfing the web.