NFS Carbon performance :(

LordBritish

2[H]4U
Is it me or does the 3D performance of NFS Carbon seem to be really bad?

Frequently the fps will dip below 20 expecially when other cars are around.

Here's my system:

Viewsonic vx2020wm 1680x1050 monitor
7950 GX2
Opteron 165 @ 2.6 Ghz (289x9)
2 Gig memory

Hardly slow - may be not the best but close to it.

I'm running at 1680x1050 resolution in the game as well.

I turned off motion blur which was a fps killer but it's still nowhere close to being acceptable. Acceptable to me is 30+ fps avarage.

I have a 7950GX2 and a 4000+ both heavily overclocked and 2Gb of RAM and this game still eats my card for breakfast. 1024 768 with 4xAA seems to be the way to go on this one, with motion blur off, everything else max.

Looks like performance is fairly bad on Nvidia cards since the ATI ones seem to run faster, but compare the visuals to NFSMW and the respective performance and NFSMW beats it hands down IMO.

Carbon with my X19 looks superior to MW IMO. Modelling and detail, as well as texture crispness, have all been improved. Car reflection update rate is the best its ever been. Honestly I believe that the "bad graphics" claims for Carbon are due to NV's current issues with it, more than the graphics themselves. The game looks great.

yea, you bought an EA game so this is to be expected. and yea motion blur is retarded in every sense of the word

Yeah. Im not really a fan of it either. If the world does that around you when you sitting on 250kph+ IRL, you have no business driving a car that fast.

Droopz said:
Yeah. Im not really a fan of it either. If the world does that around you when you sitting on 250kph+ IRL, you have no business driving a car that fast.

and you have no business playing a racing game...

?

Im really enjoying Carbon. I was simply saying i dont like the effect the motion blur gives. I certainly like the fact that this games doesnt try to be a Sim. If I wanted a realistic racing experiance, I'd get in my car and go racing.

I even think that without the motion blur on, Carbon manages to give the impression of speed very well. I guess its just an imerssion thing. When I had the blur on all i could think about was that if I was street racing/running for the cops, I would be alert and aware enough to be able to make out the details on the enviroment around me.

Anyway... thats why its an option. Some of use dont want it so we turn it off. :D

After playing the demo on my PC rig w/ the 7950gx2, I had to format my PC to get it to perform like it did before I installed/played the demo.

At first tried new drivers then also tried a system restore and none would work. My 3dmark06 score went from 8000 to 3000 when I installed the game, but now that it's reformatted, it's back up to 8000. :)

i have been playing the game at max settings at 1024x768 with 2x aa and i have had very little lag. overall, i think it does look better than mw. all of the textures are much sharper and detailed.

I'm not sure why it would run so slow for you. I have all settings maxed at 1680x1050 except I turned off the blurring because it bothers me, and it stays locked at sync. I'm playing it on the first system in my sig. I have a feeling the blur is what is causing this. I don't use AA in any game I play, and use low AF settings. I thought this game performed surprisingly well for a newly released EA/NFS game. Try ditching the blur if it's not your absolute favorite option or something.

ManicOne said:
Carbon with my X19 looks superior to MW IMO. Modelling and detail, as well as texture crispness, have all been improved. Car reflection update rate is the best its ever been. Honestly I believe that the "bad graphics" claims for Carbon are due to NV's current issues with it, more than the graphics themselves. The game looks great.

Who said anything about how it looks? He's having performance problems, not quality problems.

Back on topic, that game brings my rig to its knees too. It's pretty demanding.

i dont really see how ur having problems when i get about 40 constant with a x850xtpe not overclocked at all @ 16x12 with high settings...

Game is running great for me.

Intel 840
x1900 XT stock
2g ddr2.

run it at 1280 x 1024 ingame all high, 2x AA, 8x AF i recall.

i am happy because it runs a looks hella better then Most Wanted.

Keeps between 40 to 60FPS for me.

and the 4xAA is really crappy, just have to use the 6xAA ! even though I´m using a 7800GT SLI !

J3RK said:
I'm not sure why it would run so slow for you. I have all settings maxed at 1680x1050 except I turned off the blurring because it bothers me, and it stays locked at sync. I'm playing it on the first system in my sig. I have a feeling the blur is what is causing this. I don't use AA in any game I play, and use low AF settings. I thought this game performed surprisingly well for a newly released EA/NFS game. Try ditching the blur if it's not your absolute favorite option or something.

How did you get it to run at 1680x1050? The highest setting the game allows me to choose is 1280x1024, and I thought the game didn't support widescreen at all...

There is a widescreen patcher program available. It doesn't officially support Carbon, but it works fine with it. You have to rename your .EXE to speed2.exe (which is the name of NFSU2's EXE,) then patch it, then rename it back to the original. There is a widescreen gaming site/forum somewhere. I'm at work, but I'll see if I can find the link for you. The patcher works with a lot of EA games. What it does is replace the 640x480 mode in the game with whatever you specify in the utility. Then, when you launch the game, you switch it to 640x480, and it will display in the mode you specified. (1680x1050 for me)

Yea, i patched the game to run at 1680x1050.

The game seems to run adequately with just yourself racing but have 4 or 5 other cars near you and your FPS drop to 20s or teens.

Mine doesn't do that even in the race wars. In fact, I don't know if I've seen a racing game on the PC stay at sync so much since Porsche Unleashed on a TI4600. :D Do you use any AF or AA? It does drop down in a couple of very specific areas, but only for a second. One is in a heavily wooded area, and the other is in one of the industrial areas. Only in a certain spot in each place. Other than that, it's silky smooth for me. Once again, I don't use blur, AA, AF. I also leave my video cards at stock clocks. They seem to run faster when they aren't overclocked (probably due to heat issues or something of the sort.) I was playing this with my card overclocked to XTX levels, which is usually fine, but for some reason this game heats it up quite a bit, so I clocked it back. The game runs perfectly this way.

Weird, it runs perfectly on my OC'ed X850XT at 1280x1024 with 4xAA & AF with motion blur off.

Completed this last night, was disapointed.

I think might go back and play NFSMW and do some cop chases and grab the widescreen patch while Im at it.

ManicOne said:

Can't disagree more. The game looks like a step back, when compared to Most Wanted, in almost every way (except for Autosculpt and layers). It seems to be more demanding, graphics wise, but still it doesn't look any better than Most Wanted (IMHO it actually doesn't look as good).
Reflections ? Cars look like a christmas tree. It's ridiculous. Granted all the races are done at night (more lights), but the reflections are just like motion blur: they are WAY too exagerated.
I have no problems running it. Performance is not stellar, but I get to play @ 1280x1024 with everything maxed, motion blur off.

at times this games brings my xtx to its knees at 1600x1200, 4xAA, AF, all on max but environment on high.

I agree that the graphics seem like a step backwards in many instances. The car models seem like something from Underground 2! I thought the cars in NFS:MW look better even if the poly count are similar (to me it looks like MW has higher poly count).

Mine runs pretty well on 1600x1200 with everything max with blur on and no AA or AF.

Frosteh said:
I have a 7950GX2 and a 4000+ both heavily overclocked and 2Gb of RAM and this game still eats my card for breakfast. 1024 768 with 4xAA seems to be the way to go on this one, with motion blur off, everything else max.

Looks like performance is fairly bad on Nvidia cards since the ATI ones seem to run faster, but compare the visuals to NFSMW and the respective performance and NFSMW beats it hands down IMO.
Thats very strange, I have the game maxed out on a single 7900GT and it runs just fine at 1280x1024 (with 4xAA on top of that).

Unknown-One said:
Thats very strange, I have the game maxed out on a single 7900GT and it runs just fine at 1280x1024 (with 4xAA on top of that).

define running fine....

are you able to keep above 30fps....

paraga1234 said:
define running fine....

Note: All other settings maxed at 1280x1024, 2xAA (4x AA was causing the game to randomly dump me to my desktop) all I did was repeat a race with FRAPS running to knab the framerate.

Motion Blur On (During Race):
Min FPS: 21
MaxFPS: 38

Motion Blur Off (During Race):
Min FPS: 42
MaxFPS: 64

This is on a volt moded and overclocked 7900GT though, the 7600GT in your sig is going to have issues running this game with maxed-out setting plus motion blur. And to the dude with the 7950GX2: Carbon isn’t currently working with SLI, so your only using one GPU in this game. Expect to get similar FPS to a 7900GT until they get that fixed.

In short, turn motion blur off (and drop down to 2xAA) if you need a major FPS boost (I hope they fix that, I happen to like motion blur).

paraga1234 said:
define running fine....

running fine: Vsync on and frame rates don't drop below 60, to stay in sync with my LCD. Why do people have other definitions of "running fine"?

J3RK said:
Mine doesn't do that even in the race wars. In fact, I don't know if I've seen a racing game on the PC stay at sync so much since Porsche Unleashed on a TI4600. :D Do you use any AF or AA? It does drop down in a couple of very specific areas, but only for a second. One is in a heavily wooded area, and the other is in one of the industrial areas. Only in a certain spot in each place. Other than that, it's silky smooth for me. Once again, I don't use blur, AA, AF. I also leave my video cards at stock clocks. They seem to run faster when they aren't overclocked (probably due to heat issues or something of the sort.) I was playing this with my card overclocked to XTX levels, which is usually fine, but for some reason this game heats it up quite a bit, so I clocked it back. The game runs perfectly this way.

Thas what i am saying for me, runs perfect! and i love it, and that is on a prescott 3.2ghz dual core too.

Silus said:
Reflections ? Cars look like a christmas tree. It's ridiculous. Granted all the races are done at night (more lights), but the reflections are just like motion blur: they are WAY too exagerated.

Pick a duller paint then.

Dunno what my fps are, but im running 12x10 res 2xaa motion blur off and reflection set to low, feels a bit skippy at the begining of the race wars with all the cars there, after i get out in front its all good though.

And I agree with ManicOne, Carbon does look better.

I wouldn't consider 30FPS fine, especially considering the nature of racing games and the fast moving terrain, and the need for fast reactions at high speed.

My point was more that the performance compared to the visuals NFSMW was a better trade off, it looks roughly equal to NFSMW in my opinion but runs a lot worse.

Frosteh said:
I wouldn't consider 30FPS fine, especially considering the nature of racing games and the fast moving terrain, and the need for fast reactions at high speed.

My point was more that the performance compared to the visuals NFSMW was a better trade off, it looks roughly equal to NFSMW in my opinion but runs a lot worse.
agreed

At 1680*1050 with everything maxxed and no motion blur i get minimum of 40fps in a full sized race. Max of 60+fps. The version of the game is 1.2 and im using the Nvidia drivesr that were released last week.

I just realized I needed to create a SLI profile for NFS Carbon for my 7950GX2.

My fps are MUCH better now :)

Use "force alternate frame rendering 1"

hhahahaha, lol

Much better now - stupid me :D

once you choose a car type (exotic, etc) in career mode are you stuck with only getting those specific types of cars later on throughout the game or can you get any type?

polonyc2 said:
once you choose a car type (exotic, etc) in career mode are you stuck with only getting those specific types of cars later on throughout the game or can you get any type?

You can get more once you unlock them and buy them.

MOst of the unlocked cars are random, and will be mostly the type of car you picked to start with. EG: Ive finished with the Muscle cars and I only unlocked a handful of tuner/exotics during the career.

Back