NFS carbon demo is out

meatfestival said:
I forced AFR on and got zero performance increase. The load balancing bar fills up, but it doesn't run any faster.

Maybe they are intentionally limiting frames? :confused:

my 6600GT is starting to show its age.

mind you my dieing power supply cant be helping much...

T.T

MrWizard6600 said:
my 6600GT is starting to show its age.

mind you my dieing power supply cant be helping much...

T.T

your power supply will have zero impact on your framerate.

The hyper steering sensitivity on drift tracks is bad because it's hard to go from that to regular steering and back.

I like the new race type that compares following distance, though the 10-second rule may give too much advantage to the lead car. It's good to see them introducing different race modes.

dekard said:
your power supply will have zero impact on your framerate.

yeah tell that to Ntune: your graphics card isnt getting enough power and as such must clock down.

Carbon + 6600GT @ 300MHz = T.T

MrWizard6600 said:
yeah tell that to Ntune: your graphics card isnt getting enough power and as such must clock down.

Carbon + 6600GT @ 300MHz = T.T

My x1800xt did the same thing because I only have 19a on my 12v. Ran rivatuners hardware moniter and the voltage was spiking all over the place and the voltage regulator was getting real hot (100c) and was most likely gonna kill my psu or video card so I hooked it upto its own power supply an old 250w 10amp on the 12v rail and it runs perfect.

What controllers are you all using for this game? I just downloaded it, and so far it doesn't seem all that fun.

MrSlacker said:
Hey guys, whats your best single drift and total score?

In the demo, my best total score was 185K. My best single was around 111K.

Scream And Fly said:
What controllers are you all using for this game? I just downloaded it, and so far it doesn't seem all that fun.

Logitech dual action.

I am using a keyboard. NFS is the only racing game that I can only use the keyboard for.

MrSlacker said:
I am using a keyboard. NFS is the only racing game that I can only use the keyboard for.
Same, probably because of the super arcade style racing. I guess it makes it more fun though and less worring about driving well.

I know that many of you had problems with the demo, but since I didn't play the demo, I can't give a direct response to any of the issues. I am enjoying the title so far though; it plays very similarly to NFSMW, although the drifting takes a little while to get used to.

As for the graphics, I believe it's at least on par with NFSMW. I'm sure some of you don't like the visual treatment (motion blur as well as the depth of field blurring), but I think it goes a long way in maintaining the style of these new NFS titles. I also think EA has done an unbelievable job at bringing the game's menus, FMV sequences, race entrances, and gameplay together and blending them almost seemlessly.

The things about the game I don't like are mostly issues that result from having to learn the new driving mechanics; initially I felt that the canyon racing (with the bosses) was too unforgiving, and the same with the drifting. However, once I had played through them two or three times I got the hang of it and it became no problem.

Just spotted this while driving;

nfscarbon.jpg

So... Has anyone who played the demo got the game yet?
I want to know their opinions on it (if it's the same as the demo or if it's better).

Silus said:
That review is kind of pointless...
First they are puzzled that the NVIDIA cards "trail" the ATI cards. Yeah, they compare a 7950 GT to a X1900 XTX...seems fair. If they don't have a 7900 GTX for a fair comparison, don't do it at all.

Does the lack of that board nullify the results that are there? I don't think so.

Silus said:
They even include a 7600 GT, which seems to be competing with a X1800 XT...Laughable at best.

Where do you get the idea that they're competing?

Silus said:
And also, the only real problem they point out, is the fact that SLI is not working and even they say that it will be fixed as soon as NVIDIA releases a profile for the full game.

Aside from the general lack of performance on NVIDIA boards, yes.

Silus said:
I play Carbon on my 7800 GTX 256 @ 1280x1024, everything maxed, but I turned off Motion blur, because it really doesn't look good and I get something between 25-45 fps.

Which pretty much backs up the evidence shown in the article!

Well theres not much point in comparing video cards with the game if they're not roughly matched by price or by performance bands (i.e crossfire vs SLI, or top range Nvidia Card vs top range ATI card etc)

Without proper driver support from Nvidia comparison is a bit silly, you might use the argument that it's how it is on release day but it seems Nvidia have just released a set of drivers now (appeared on their FTP and website, not offically the latest yet though)

My betting is it will see a fairly hefty increase in performance.

Back