NFS carbon demo is out

Somepeople are actually saying that the game looks awesome and that "[NFS] finally has decent graphics" ;)

Oh, what the hell happened? When did NFS become like this load of old cock? I swear there's not been a single half-decent [in terms of gameplay, not graphics] NFS since Hot Pursuit. I think if they gave the drifting gimmickry and trickin' out ya motah shite a bit of a rest and went back to making the actual game fun we'd not be hearing half of these comments.

Rehevkor said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I have to point out that the whole business of widescreen giving players an unfair advantage is utter bullshit. No concessions have EVER been made regarding differences between 4:3 and 5:4 resolutions, high versus low resolutions, graphics detail settings, monitor size, stereo versus 3D/surround sound, or anything else.

Any developer's claim that widescreen isn't supported because the extra little bit of width in the player's field of view is unfair to non-widescreen users is nothing more than a thinly veiled excuse for lazy development. EA is probably using rendering code that is years out of date and doesn't want to bother re-writing it to support aspect ratios and resolutions other than the hard-coded modes they've been using.

Max Payne is over 5 years old now, and it supports literally every resolution, aspect ratio, and refresh rate that your video card and monitor are capable of displaying. I ran it at 2304x1440 on my Sony FW900, for Christ's sake. That's all I need to say on the issue.

Original UT supports 1920x1200 too.

Raudulfr said:
Somepeople are actually saying that the game looks awesome and that "[NFS] finally has decent graphics" ;)

Graphics are good :D

nfscdemoexe29yl6.jpg

nfscdemoexe33ig8.jpg

nfscdemoexe37dn1.jpg

nfscdemoexe39qq4.jpg

i just played it and beat it. they added alot of cool stuff that really should've been in it originally. things like the speed bonus in drifts, etc etc. however it's like they sacrificed some of the core elements for the sake of the new stuff. i don't like it one bit.

Raudulfr said:

What the hell ever. The game looks no better than the previous games, and I actually think it looks worse than Most Wanted in a lot of places. Taking off the motion blur is a big help, but it isn't enough.

I sorta cheated, since I never turned on motion blur in the first place. I couldn't stand it in MW, so I figured I wouldn't like it any better now. Otherwise, the game runs fine on the rig in my sig- naturally not at any super-duper resolutions or anything but I think it does look pretty good. If it's not better than MW, it's at least on par with it, IMO (graphics-wise, anyway).

EDIT: Why can't EA integrate a real night/day cycle already?! Weather would be nice too, although I would want something better than MW's 2nd lap sprinkles.

As far as gameplay goes, I liked everything besides the drifting, which was kinda 'eh.' Yes, the physics change for the drifting races, but they did that in UG2 also, so it wasn't a huge surprise. I thought it was very convenient that the 3 different cars conformed exactly to the descriptions of the three different classes of cars, but we'll have to wait until the full version to see if the physics of the cars have all been skewed to make them "fit" into a class. My guess is probably.

At the moment, my biggest grip is actually the camera. When you're in any chase mode, the damn thing will shake and it's distracting. OK, it's supposed to simulate going over bumps, but I wish I could turn it off. This being an NFS game though, you can't. I eventually found that I did better when the camera was mounted on the hood, where the cockpit view should've been (I miss that a lot from older NFS games). Your crew member was kinda annoying too, but the circuit race wasn't that long. I'm sure he'll get on my nerves on longer races...

S0m30n3 said:
Graphics are good :D

I played MW with medium settings and it looked awesome and had good fps. I played the Carbon demo with medium settings and it looked like crap compared to MW and had major slowdowns....

What the hell ever. The game looks no better than the previous games, and I actually think it looks worse than Most Wanted in a lot of places.
Exactly... but you know how these youngins are... if it has tuning, it rules ;)

Ive always thought the game engines they use for the nfs series are utter shite with so much stuttering etc even on monster rigs, Other car games like Flatout 2 look just as good but have solid framerates even at a higher res......should i even bother downloading the nfs carb demo with my laptop spec?

I'm sure the final game will be better. Most Wanted is my favorite NFS game until now, but when I saw the autosculpt feature and the new cop modes in Carbon, I really wanted to give it a try. As I said, I wasn't disapointed with it entirely, but I didn't like the fact that the cars didn't look as good as in MW. The fact that all the races are at night, doesn't help either.

Another worth mentioning fact, is: I think Josie Maron is cuter than the Carbon girl :)

Silus said:
I'm sure the final game will be better. Most Wanted is my favorite NFS game until now, but when I saw the autosculpt feature and the new cop modes in Carbon, I really wanted to give it a try. As I said, I wasn't disapointed with it entirely, but I didn't like the fact that the cars didn't look as good as in MW. The fact that all the races are at night, doesn't help either.

Another worth mentioning fact, is: I think Josie Maron is cuter than the Carbon girl :)

In every EA demo release I have seen, the actual game looked/performed NO different.

Well no widescreen support so it can get lost...

Ive always thought the game engines they use for the nfs series are utter shite with so much stuttering etc even on monster rigs, Other car games like Flatout 2 look just as good but have solid framerates even at a higher res......should i even bother downloading the nfs carb demo with my laptop spec?

Flatout 2 was awesome, damage system was great and it looked really nice with the settings cranked up really high. Not to mention most of the tracks looks like a warzone on the last lap round where there's 100's of fence posts scattered around and colapsed sections of bridges and whatnot.

Graphically NFSMW was a reasonable pay off for me, it runs well on my 7950GX2 for the level of visuals it supplies, especially considering how vast the landscape is when it's all unlocked.

Raudulfr said:
I played MW with medium settings and it looked awesome and had good fps. I played the Carbon demo with medium settings and it looked like crap compared to MW and had major slowdowns....

Exactly... but you know how these youngins are... if it has tuning, it rules ;)

That's if you call park bench spoilers, stickers, paint and rims tuning.

v6maro said:
In every EA demo release I have seen, the actual game looked/performed NO different.

Well, it seems Battlefield 2142 is an exception. The demo was a 1 GB bug, but it seems the game itself is ok, though not my cup of tea.
I can surely confirm that the demo was horrible. It was bug land...

Silus said:
Well, it seems Battlefield 2142 is an exception. The demo was a 1 GB bug, but it seems the game itself is ok, though not my cup of tea.
I can surely confirm that the demo was horrible. It was bug land...

The demo may have been buggy, and the full version is better. Graphically, and as far as game play, the demo is identical to the full version. Sure there are some tweaks, but the vehicles, and weapons all work the same way. That was really the point, while the demo may not be totaly representative of the final product, I've found that are usually about 95% representative of the final product.

I must say I haven't really followed this game in development. Does this game have the police chases like in NFS:MW? To me that was the best part of the last game, without the high speed cop car chases I'd be well disappointed.

I was very dissapointed with NFS-Carbon though maybe the full version will cheer me up. I'm very excited about CCX and Monaro though I guess once I pick it up I'll know for sure.

no widescreen support. thanks EA, you guys are shit. not the shit, just shit.

it does run smooth though, about the only positive i saw. also, the xbox360 controller works just like the console version without any configgin, so thats a huge plus. if you hide your pc you wouldnt be able to tell its not on xbox besides the clear graphics.

krupted said:
no widescreen support. thanks EA, you guys are shit. not the shit, just shit.

it does run smooth though, about the only positive i saw. also, the xbox360 controller works just like the console version without any configgin, so thats a huge plus. if you hide your pc you wouldnt be able to tell its not on xbox besides the clear graphics.

Those of us with widescreen monitors are always getting the shaft.

Dan_D said:
Those of us with widescreen monitors are always getting the shaft.

That's why I won't buy a widescreen monitor. Support is still not widespread

spicey said:
That's why I won't buy a widescreen monitor. Support is still not widespread

I thought that too and even said as much in a thread about a year ago. Now that I've had two widescreen monitors, I am never going back. So much better than 4:3 when it is supported, and even when it isn't, the extra desktop space in Windows is nice. If you watch movies on your PC, it is really a must in my opinion.

Plus, if no one buys widescreen monitors, they will never gain acceptance.

I could never go back to 4:3 for my main monitor. At least the NFS games can me made to run at widescreen with some work.

I'm currently using a 19in crt, but after recent experiences with widescreen lcds I will be upgrading sooner rather than later. Widescreen IS the future, it is a far more natural aspect ratio than 4:3.

Why game devs aren't automatically including widescreen resolutions is beyond me. Might be something to do with company's like EA not wanting to spend any more money than they have to (recycled trees anyone?)

It doesn't even look good (or different enough) to get my download.

I'll stick to Flatout 2, much much better graphics.

Hell... much better everything probably. This game rocks and is underated just like the first Flatout. :eek:

ManicOne said:
Elitebastards have done a performance analysis. Seems NV is having driver issues with Carbon:

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=193&Itemid=29

That review is kind of pointless...
First they are puzzled that the NVIDIA cards "trail" the ATI cards. Yeah, they compare a 7950 GT to a X1900 XTX...seems fair. If they don't have a 7900 GTX for a fair comparison, don't do it at all.
They even include a 7600 GT, which seems to be competing with a X1800 XT...Laughable at best.
And also, the only real problem they point out, is the fact that SLI is not working and even they say that it will be fixed as soon as NVIDIA releases a profile for the full game.
I play Carbon on my 7800 GTX 256 @ 1280x1024, everything maxed, but I turned off Motion blur, because it really doesn't look good and I get something between 25-45 fps.

I've just posted this in their forums

I would just like to openly investigate the idea of comparing the performance gained/lost by turning features such as motion blur on/off.

First of all it might be best to read this very quick article:

http://www.mvps.org/directx/articles/fps_versus_frame_time.htm

Frame rate is not a linear measure of performance as you can see, now when comparing just frame rate vs frame rate of 2 different cards then thats fine, but when you're discussing a change in frame rate brought about altering what is rendered then simply using the percentage increase is not appropraite unless both cards are rendering at the same speed to start with.

For these particular frame rates measured in game the increase or decrease in frame rate can be measured fine, but it should not be assumed that the same percentage will be applicable at a different frame rate.

The increase in frame rate from 20 fps to whatever number, will not be the percentage increase in frame rate from 60fps to whatever number, and therefore comparisons between 2 different cards becomes meaningless.

My calculations are

Nvidia
Motion Blur on = 40.05ms to render each frame
Motion Blur off = 27.68ms to render each frame
Difference = 12.37 ms extra time to render each frame with Motion blur turned on

ATI
Motion Blur on = 18.33 ms to render each frame
Motion Blur off = 13.53 ms to render each frame
Difference = 4.8ms extra time to render each frame with Motion Blur turned on

What do people think?

thoughts?

Silus said:
And also, the only real problem they point out, is the fact that SLI is not working and even they say that it will be fixed as soon as NVIDIA releases a profile for the full game.

Even though nVidia will release a driver that has an official profile for Carbon, you can create one yourself and get immediate bennefits from an SLi configuration TODAY. Not doing so is just lazy on the part of the reviewer.

Dan_D said:
Even though nVidia will release a driver that has an official profile for Carbon, you can create one yourself and get immediate bennefits from an SLi configuration TODAY. Not doing so is just lazy on the part of the reviewer.

Exactly! Yet another reason to say that review is pointless.

Back to Carbon, the full game should be out tomorrow right ?

The Donut said:
EA are well aware we have widescreen monitors, but as previously stated they will not be supporting widescreen resolutions because they believe it gives other users a disadvantage.
So...I guess that means the 360 and PS3 versions will also be 4:3 only. ;)

That reasoning doesn't hold true completely. EA does have some games that support 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic I believe is an EA title and it supports widescreen very nicely.

Another shitty EA title, is it just me or can I see a pattern with EA and their recent games released?

Dan_D said:
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic I believe is an EA title and it supports widescreen very nicely.

Nope, it's a Ubisoft game. It's also built on Valve's Source engine, which has supported widescreen ever since it's been out.

So has anyone actually seen this on store shelves? All my local stores are saying that it will be in tomorrow. Guess I'll have to tide myself over tonight by playing some more FEAR: Extraction Point. :(

Dan_D said:

I forced AFR on and got zero performance increase. The load balancing bar fills up, but it doesn't run any faster.

Back