NFL Signs Deal With 2K Games

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
Hell has frozen over ...

The NFL and 2K Games announced a new agreement today that will see the publisher of NBA 2K and WWE 2K return to football, but EA’s long-running Madden NFL series will remain unchallenged in the high-end simulation market. “The games will be non-simulation football game experiences,” 2K said in its press release, adding, “While specific game titles, developers, and release dates will be announced at a later date, 2K confirmed the projects are in early development and will launch starting in calendar year 2021.” 2K Senior VP of Sports Strategy and Licensing Jason Argent told IGN, “These games will be ‘NFL 2K’ products, definitely.”

It's a start. Hopefully someday they can get back into being able to make simulations.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nfl-2k...dden-is-still-the-exclusive-sim-football-game
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...k-partner-to-produce-multiple-new-video-games

This is good news for madden fans too. 2K did a lot of innovating and even forced EA to pull NBA live for several years.

I don’t even play many sports game anymore anyways but like OP I never thought 2K would get the NFL license again.

I played so much NFL 2k5 when I was growing up. It was so much more refined than Madden 2005, and was way cheaper as well.

I am curious how they define "non-simulation". Also, they may have a deal with the NFL, but does that give them the rights to the players as well? I think that piece is controlled by the NFLPA, so that would mean that the game may have actual teams, but would not have the players. Good news is that the EA agreement ends in 2021, so this could pave the way for getting 2K a piece of the actual "simulation" action.

I mean I agree but do you really need a NFL license for that? Call them Xannehill and Xrady and Xouncey.
Maybe, but if you have the license the NFL will participate in advertising and you can put 2k and the nfl logo on any merch you want. It's a license to print money.

Meh, can't beat Football on the old Intellivision, once they hit the 8/16 bit gen, it became a rehash of the same thing, just different rosters year after year.

Meh, can't beat Football on the old Intellivision, once they hit the 8/16 bit gen, it became a rehash of the same thing, just different rosters year after year.
Tecmo Bowl was the height of the genre! So many college memories of playing thst game with a keg in the room. Of course if you didnt have Bo Jackson then it was an automatic loss.

I remember football on the Atari 2600, not the 3 + QB vs 3 version, the less blocky version where on defense if you run to the opposite side of the screen you'd pop up right behind the QB.

But back on target, gets EA decided not open up the checkbook and write the NFL a huge exclusivity deal check.

Non-simulation? I’d love if that means super arcade-y stuff like the Blitz games were.

We bought a "multi tap" for PS1 pretty much exclusively for playing 4-player NFL Blitz 2000. The amount of pass interference and late hits had everyone laughing for the entire time we played it. Also doing one too many spin-o-ramas and fumbling the ball lol.

I remember football on the Atari 2600, not the 3 + QB vs 3 version, the less blocky version where on defense if you run to the opposite side of the screen you'd pop up right behind the QB.

But back on target, gets EA decided not open up the checkbook and write the NFL a huge exclusivity deal check.
NFL probably wanted a lot more money. With how EA Bragg's about how they make over a billion on each game in just micro transactions.

Hopefully they can start making games like NBA 2k20. Its the best sports simulation game i've ever played.

Back