NF7-S vs. NF7 .... whats the difference?

PhReaK

n00b
Is the only difference that one has SATA and one doesnt? because the NF7-S on newegg is like, ~95$, and the NF7 is like ~73$...

The -S is for Sound; the NF7-S has an integrated Nvidia SoundStorm.

NF7-S also has Firewire support and RAID

NF7 is a good OC\Gaming board if you already have a good NIC and Soundcard & don't need the SATA and RAID support.

I'd recommend also checking www.excaliberpc.com who sell Abit refurbs with full retail packaging as well as new boards.

It looks like NewEgg has finally gotten rid of the older NF7s as they now list 400FSB so they should be the Ultra chipset. Excaliber lists theirs as Ver2.0 so you know your getting the Ultra version.

Either board would be a good choice depending on your onboard requirements.

Good Luck!

Regards, Szandor

As long as you purchase from a decent retailer, you're gonna get the 2.0 revision. The only differences in the board are SATA, Firewire, and Soundstorm are not in the NF7 version. They overlock the same.

i'd definately go with an NF7-S if you're looking to buy a new board. it's got tons of features, and it oc's great, mine's done great for me.

i LOVE my Abit NF7-S ... the onboard sound is super....... good lan , lots of great features :)!!!!

What is SATA, sorry I'm a newb? And whats it used for? I take it Serial something... jeez, I'm just gonna google it. nm. but whats it used for?

Chams said:
What is SATA, sorry I'm a newb? And whats it used for? I take it Serial something... jeez, I'm just gonna google it. nm. but whats it used for?

SATA is used for hard drives.

It would be pointless to build a system today that doesn't have onboard SATA. Go with the NF7-S(this is an AWSOME mobo!), and you will not regret it. The soundstorm audio is also very nice, it does everything in hardware and has full 5.1/3d audio support.

And don't forget kids, the NF7-S comes with a nifty adapter to convert your old parallel-ATA drive to Serial-ATA!

Both boards are nice, but in my opinion the NF7-S is worth the extra money.
SATA Raid 0/1, IEEE 1394 (Firewire), and Soundstorm. Thats the differance.

What if you dont want onboard sound and already have an ethernet card plus you dont plan on overclocking and never plan on using two hard drives in raid 0? Then you wouldn't need the -S right?

Chams said:
What if you dont want onboard sound and already have an ethernet card plus you dont plan on overclocking and never plan on using two hard drives in raid 0? Then you wouldn't need the -S right?
Actually, all NF-7 motherboards - with or without the "-S" - already come with onboard sound and onboard Ethernet. (Or put it another way, you cannot buy any NF-7 without onboard sound or onboard Ethernet.) However, the plain NF-7 lacks even Serial ATA, since the nForce2 chipset doesn't natively support Serial ATA. And the onboard sound on the plain NF-7 is of the CPU-hogging AC97 codec, rather than the SoundStorm of the NF7-S. The plain NF-7 also omits integrated IEEE1394 (FireWire).

Back