NF7-S troubles

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got arround to setting up the NF7-S i got back from Abit RMA and i've hit a wall. I booted it fine with the system drive i used on my old NF7-S, i downloaded the drivers for my video card and tweaked the biios a bit (set ram timings and o/c'd my 2500+ to 3200+). I used the system a few times and no problem.

I took my video card out to use on my workstation (new card hasn't arrived yet), i put it back in later so i could install server 2003 and when i tried to boot it pretty much just powers up for half a second, fans start to spin ect, then powers right down and makes a crazy sound. According to the abit forums...
A two-tone siren, generally caused by overheating or out of specification voltages

Now my 2500+ couldn't be overheating cuz it was running at like 30*C when i was using it. So its probably a bios problem, i did the cmos thing with the battery and all that but its still wont boot.

I think i'm going to have to rma it AGAIN :( , unless i'm missing something here. Hopefully someone has an idea of whats happening.

PS. i get the same result when trying to boot with any assortment of installed components or no components installed. Currently i'm just tryign to get it to do something other then that annoying siren with out a cpu/ram/video/anything.

Specs:
NF7-S rev2 w/lastest bios
2500+ @3200+
OCZ 3200EL 2x256 + 512
Antec True430

Thanks

i had this same problem with my nf7/mobile 2500+ combo...it happend to be that the temp probe under my HSF wasn't letting it rest on the die at all almost (a corner of it was)

if you have a thermal probe remove it and see if it works...or just try reseating your HSF

Well its doing it even when my cpu iosn't installed, and i dont have a probe

all my nf7 problems were due to memory timings. you need to run x-x-x-10 or x-x-x-11 or else your board will hate you

i cant get to the bios so i cant do anythign about it. i think it might just be the ram your using, it loves my ocz at 2-2-3-6

I am having the exact same problem. My first one did the same thing till I RMAed it. The replacement I got back was missing a memory clip :mad: though.

Anyway, it booted fine I did my tweaking and had my xp2100 running at 2.3Ghz @1.75v. Rock solid with temps around 103f under heavy load thanks to a thermalright heatsink and a vantec stealth 90mm fan. Ram: corsair xms 3200cpt (2X256) 2-3-3-7.

Everything was working fine, no problems at all. I disconnected it from the wall for two days while I was working on another project. When I went to set it up I got the siren warning again. I have tried everything that I have been able to come across on the various boards: switching ram, psu, cpu, vid. I have pulled it completely out and tried running it on my antistatic workstation pad. I have made sure the temp probe was in contact. I have tried holding the insert key after a reboot. I have restarted the machine without the cpu. This actually got it to stop making the noise but as soon as I put a cpu in it starts up again. I have also cleared the cmos, pulled the battery. Etc. Etc. Etc.

If anyone has a spare bios chip laying around or would be willing to hot flash for some trades/help a fellow [H]ard member I would greatly appreciate it.

SNIP...tried running it on my antistatic workstation pad...SNIP
if your talking about an anti-static bag...NEVER do that. they are slightly conductive si they can protect the mobo while its off...but while its on they can short it.

all my nf7 problems were due to memory timings. you need to run x-x-x-10 or x-x-x-11 or else your board will hate you
my board loved me with my 2.5-3-3-6 timings

hi distr0! :p

its pretty fucking aggravating isn't it atfqn? I requested another RMA, and sent off an email to abit tech support. I'd rather not rma it cuz i gotta pay shipping again, and border charges again, fucking ups

Dephcon said:
its pretty fucking aggravating isn't it atfqn? I requested another RMA, and sent off an email to abit tech support. I'd rather not rma it cuz i gotta pay shipping again, and border charges again, fucking ups

plus they take 2 frigging months

really!? when i rma'd a couple weeks ago, they recieved they shipped a new board the day after they recieved my old one. and for it to ship back i think it took 4 days, which is good for shippping from us to canada

Dephcon said:
really!? when i rma'd a couple weeks ago, they recieved they shipped a new board the day after they recieved my old one. and for it to ship back i think it took 4 days, which is good for shippping from us to canada

damn... i think the holdup is just caused by the place i bought it. i had to take the board to them (in missisauga, on) then they ship to their main office who ships to abit, back to main office, back to local store, back to me. takes a loong damn time

your almost better to go straight to abit. Unless the store itself is still covering it, usually 30 days on retail items, in which case they should send/give you a replacement from their own stock.

My RMA'd rx9800pro should be here today or tuesday, hopefulyl that goes smoother. I swear if i have to deal with msi's rma department again i'll kill myself

4b5eN+EE said:
if your talking about an anti-static bag...NEVER do that. they are slightly conductive is they can protect the mobo while its off...but while its on they can short it.

Actually I was using this product: Anti Static Pad It has served me well thus far.

As for aggravation I am beyond it now. Acceptance has settled in. I refuse to wait around for another rma from them. The last time I did that I was without that board for just over 51 days (time it left my hands to the time I had a replacement). When it did finally show up it had a broken memory clip. I shudder to think of the tool that managed to break a memory clip. In all the time I have spent building machines and playing around and being a little rougher than I should I have never broke one. But that doesn't piss me off quite as much as much as paying to get a replacement and getting one with a broken memory clip.

Effectively the board's resale value is similar to that of a two day old pizza box. Sure it looks good, it still smells good, but when you open it up all you have left are memories.

At this point I am going to either purchase a bios chip flasher or see if I can find a bios savior. They seem to be difficult to acquire with all of the revisions and what not. I think I just need to do some more research.

I just got my repeat rma approval from abit, and i gotta tell ya, i'm impressed. You gotta sign a form and fax it in and they will pick out aprime board, double test it and send it right away. When you get it and can test the board whatever and make sure it works and if its all good they give you a UPS return slip and you can ship back your defective board to them at no charge.

Thats pretty class, i'm glad i dont have to pay all thoes shipping charges and have to wait like a week+. I needz to get my boxen back online

Hey, I aswell need to RMA my board back to abit. In their email they stated NOT to send accessories, did you guys use the Abit box though? and did they send you back another board in a box..

Heh, silly question but I don't want to lose my box :(

SlaYa > * > U

i sent my board back in the orginal box with the foam padding and antistatic bag, whihc was then packed into a slightly larger box with packing material. I got a KV7 box back but who cares.

Your best bet is to use their eRMA service on their site, they should approve your rma in a day

Back