NF7-M memory?

zerogt86

Gawd
i might be setting up a system for somebody, and im looking at this board as a possible option. If i used this board, then i would use the integrated gfx, and i know that i need to allow the board to use onbard ram as video ram. My question is if i get one 512mb stick and one 256mb stick (ddr 333 for both, so i figure i could put 128 towards the gfx card and be left with rest) would i still be using dual channel mode, or would i be forced to use single channel mode?

Use 3 slots and dual channel is impossible. Also, if you want to dual channel, the chips have to be nearly the same exact thing, so I'm pretty sure you can't get away with two different sizes. Depending on the applications intended, you might be better off with dual channel 2x256MB, but you'd have to optomize memory and applications to get rid of some of the waste (for me, XP starts up using 250-300 or so and I have most services disabled and I'm using Litestep, so it may just not be feasable.) Too bad they don't make 386MB chips, eh? d-:

BTW, the NF7-M uses a GF4 MX. I think it was supposed to be the equivalent of a 440, but I really have no memory. Get the non-m version for nearly the exact same board but much less and no integrated video. Then you can just spend a tiny bit on a Ti4200 or something (pretty cheap and at least it's a real gf4, gf4mx is worse than a good gf3 but for the better antialiasing and ansiotropic filtering due to having a bit more power.) Certainly if you want gaming, then you are better with less memory, but a non sucky video card IMO.

well, this system is for a non gamer who will prolly just watch dvds and look at pictures they take with a digi cam, so i think the integrated gfx will should b fine.

Ok, I'm sorry. A GF4MX is more than enough for that. Heck, I remember watching DVDs with an ATI Rage Pro (GOD those sucked!!) on a P2-350. Well, dual 350, but in Win9x, so single effectively. Of course, it must have used some small hint of acceleration because when I got a Voodoo3 later, I couldn't watch DVDs in even 16-bit mode without some skipping. Nonetheless, the point I was getting to (before I got sidetracked) was that even with pure software DVD playback should be fine on anything you can stick in a board like that. BTW, I just remembered. The integrated graphics uses some of the system memory. If at all possible, you need to opt for more rather than less ram. It may be better to do without dual channel just to have the 768 (dual channel probably only offers a somewhat noticable difference I would imagine, but I don't have it yet to test with.)

What is the primary use of the system, and what is your budget? If dual channel is not needed, then money can be saved by using three sticks instead of two to fill the needed RAM requirement. However, if memory bandwidth if of greater concern, use only the dual-channel slots and spend the extra money for RAM sticks with greater capacity. Optimally, the system will have enough RAM to run with minimal disk swapping but with dual channel enabled. Please post more details so I can help you identify whether memory bandwidth or disk I/O poses the biggest bottleneck.

Dual channel should work with 3 sticks of memory in this configuration:

NF7-S.jpg

In the following picture only 256 MB of the 512 stick would be used in dual channel:

NF7_S_large.jpg

I would definitely use dual channel though, it really helps the performance of the onboard video.

I know you want to use the NF7-M, but I agree with the other guys. The memory situation (above) could be solved for $7.

NF7 + GeForce 2 MX400 = $102.99
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-144&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-107&depa=1

NF7-M + above memory situation = $96
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-150&depa=1

And they could always upgrade the graphics card later if they changed their mind about gaming. :D

Back