Nexus-Two for Christmas :)

Will Google actually do this right ? Release on all 4 major carriers for same price and allow competition to take place to earn our business.

Never understood why the U.S. market got the shaft. In Europe you buy the SIM card and shop for what ever phone you want. Most phones there work on all major carriers. But here they lock you in.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Bah, looks like an iPhone.... and has the back of a Vibrant, which means it'll feel like crap. :/

Never understood why the U.S. market got the shaft. In Europe you buy the SIM card and shop for what ever phone you want. Most phones there work on all major carriers. But here they lock you in.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Two reasons:

1) There are 2 completely different network types, making a Europe-style situation impossible

2) Upfront costs are lower. Upfront costs are all that matters to most people

What I meant to say was, that in Europe or Asia, you pick out your carrier #1, then chose any phone you like. Like the iPhone 4, or you like Android's EVO 4G, or brand new Win-Mo 7 phone, go out and buy that phone, then pop in your SIM card, and bam it works, carrier shouldn't matter.

If it's not exactly like that, it should be here in the U.S. Your carrier should be the #1 choice for us, get the best price for the minutes and data you need, and then all phones should work on all carriers. Just have all carriers use a universal radio band, to allow phones to be sold through like Apple, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc...

I mean wouldn't it be a win win, for like Apple, if they had the iPhone 4 selling to ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Then the consumer wins also, by choosing their favorite carrier, that has best service in their area, and best pricing for their needs.

unfortunately there are different standards in place, primarily GSM (which is the european one) and CDMA (and their respective enhancements). Neither side wants to throw away the money invested in the architecture and equipment already in the field. Lots of money/resources are spent on improving the network while still working with legacy equipment, or getting new features to work on legacy equipment.

I think the transition to 4G networks will phase out CDMA though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

What I meant to say was, that in Europe or Asia, you pick out your carrier #1, then chose any phone you like. Like the iPhone 4, or you like Android's EVO 4G, or brand new Win-Mo 7 phone, go out and buy that phone, then pop in your SIM card, and bam it works, carrier shouldn't matter.

If it's not exactly like that, it should be here in the U.S. Your carrier should be the #1 choice for us, get the best price for the minutes and data you need, and then all phones should work on all carriers. Just have all carriers use a universal radio band, to allow phones to be sold through like Apple, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc...

I mean wouldn't it be a win win, for like Apple, if they had the iPhone 4 selling to ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Then the consumer wins also, by choosing their favorite carrier, that has best service in their area, and best pricing for their needs.

You're essentially asking "Why can't any program work on any Operating System? Why do I have to choose between Windows, Mac, and Linux to get one that my program will work on? Why can't any program work on any OS?"

In Europe all carriers use the same technology. In the US there are two completely different and non-compatible technologies for phones. There is no iPhone for Verizon because it requires a completely different set of hardware to work on the network.

What's the best brand for Android phones? I know Samsung is good. How about LG? Oh! And HTC is fine, I just don't like their finishes.

I do love my captivate although it remains to be seen how samsung will support the phone as the months tick by.

As far as the US vs Euro market goes, it's not just the network, it's the way of life. We're a credit heavy society, everywhere you look it's BUY NOW NO MONEY DOWN NO INTEREST FOR 12 MONTHS! We (not everyone) buy our cars, houses, tv's, appliances, education, etc etc with credit so the locked-in system is a natural fit for the US. Most europeans wouldn't buy a car if they didn't have the cash for it - it's just a totally different style.

If this has Galaxy S specs then some of us Galaxy S owners might get a 2.3 port a little faster than I thought.

sweet, im trying to figure out what phone to get for my upgrade from iphone3g, this is on the list now!

God I wish this is true. If this thing uses RGB (PenTile can go to hell), super amoled, and supports 720p resolution screen (1280x800 ftw), I'm sold!!!

I'd be willing to smash my iphone 4 to get one :D

1280x800 samoled? You would have to sell your iPhone and take out a mortgage on your house.

God I wish this is true. If this thing uses RGB (PenTile can go to hell), super amoled, and supports 720p resolution screen (1280x800 ftw), I'm sold!!!

I'd be willing to smash my iphone 4 to get one :D

Pen-Tile NEEDS to go to hell. It ruins an otherwise beautiful screen.

I mean, I like my Fascibrant(AT+T compatible vibrant, for Telus in Canada. Called the fascinate. ) but Pen-Tile sucks. My milestone had a nicer screen. WAY nicer.

But damn this is fast.

Back