Nexus One confirmed on AT&T because of new Data requirement???

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
Here is the story :) I have been using AT&T for a long time now and because of my beautiful grandfather rate been more than happy.

I have 4 lines that all have unlimited data using $10 family unlimited data option. Been this way for about 6 months now.

Just today I get a text that AT&T has upgraded my line (Nexus One) to the new required "Smart Phone" data plan of $30 dollars. Sure enough I go online and notice of the 4 lines I have, mine was the only one to go to $30. Mind you all 3 other phones are also smart phones on my service and all are unlocked phones not sold by AT&T.

I am guessing AT&T now has the Nexus One in their database....even though I figured mine would have a different IMEI because it's 3G doesn't even work on AT&T

Last edited:
ATT might have just added the IMEI of the T-Mobile Nexus One because so many people were bringing them over. Seems kinda messed up though, since you are stuck on 2G anyway.

I got to handle the ATT version last week...so its definitely coming.

Yes we all already knew that. That doesn't really mean 100% confirmation though for AT&T, this was just a bit of new information that I found to be odd.

Thanks for your addition to the conversation though, it was very helpful

Hey no problem dude... I knew that people might be confused since those frequencies are used on Verizon's CDMA network too

I can't wait for this phone on At&t but what does that $30 plan include? Unlimited data for the Nexus One?

I can't wait for this phone on At&t but what does that $30 plan include? Unlimited data for the Nexus One?

I don't believe it adds anything "new"
they just changed their data-rates for smartphones to $30, to include unlimited data and unlimited txt'ing.
and people who had signed up with the older plan were grandfathered in, unless they renewed their contract.

although I'm not sure how they could up your cost out of the blue, since you were grandfathered in to the old price (unless you did renew your contract, but then that would most likely up the price on all the lines)

they just changed their data-rates for smartphones to $30, to include unlimited data and unlimited txt'ing.
and people who had signed up with the older plan were grandfathered in, unless they renewed their contract.

although I'm not sure how they could up your cost out of the blue, since you were grandfathered in to the old price (unless you did renew your contract, but then that would most likely up the price on all the lines)

The explanation is that everyone with a smartphone was now forced into this $30 rate. That being said they can't change my contract for my base stuff ... but I don't think they are held to keeping data/txt rates in the same manner.

Its not the worst thing. I understand why they want to charge more, and I am fine with it. Just found it odd since my phone isn't even with the AT&T network....kinda sucks that I get charged $30 for a non-3G phone :p

Until the Nexus One supports the ATT 3g network, try contacting ATT and telling them you have a 1st generation Iphone.
I used to have the original Iphone with the $20 data plan. I have since gotten rid of that phone but I never changed my plan. Of course I didn't get my phones from ATT, but I have successfully use the iphone plan with an LG Incite, LG vu, and my current phone the HTC G1.
It's worth a shot.

The explanation is that everyone with a smartphone was now forced into this $30 rate. That being said they can't change my contract for my base stuff ... but I don't think they are held to keeping data/txt rates in the same manner.

Its not the worst thing. I understand why they want to charge more, and I am fine with it. Just found it odd since my phone isn't even with the AT&T network....kinda sucks that I get charged $30 for a non-3G phone :p

except I doubt anywhere in the contract it says they are allowed to increase the charges without atleast informing you.

Therefore, you didn't sign a contract showing the $30/mo plan ;)

but I'm with ya... $30/mo ain't terrible. Isn't the iPhone plan more than that? Then the Blackberry if you want to use it to sync with Exchange, you get charged more on top of the data plan.

This is a little bit off topic but have you guys seen the process which the Nexus One phones get built and stress tested for the market ? I found it kinda interesting.

Source: http://mygadgetnews.com/2010/02/09/nexus-one-built-and-destroyed/

AT&T in my experience has been an excellent service provider so I wouldn't hesitate if I were you. Their monthly plans are pretty decent and although not the best for your buck, sure aren't bad for it either.

Just wanted to let everyone know :)
Even though it automatically switched me, I went into my features on ATT Wireless website and removed the "SmartPhone Data" option that was $30 and added my $10 unlimited data back :)

Not sure if it works for all smartphones but for my non-3G N1 it did.

Now I need to go check and see if ATT thinks an N95 is a smartphone or not. Great. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: N95 isn't a smartphone, at least for ATT. :p

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know :)
Even though it automatically switched me, I went into my features on ATT Wireless website and removed the "SmartPhone Data" option that was $30 and added my $10 unlimited data back :)

Not sure if it works for all smartphones but for my non-3G N1 it did.

That's pretty bizarre, I would think if the consciously entered the IMEI of the existing model into the database they would've locked that in and not let you change it back... Altho I agree that $30 for data on a non-3G phone is a lil' much, at the same time they'll charge you $10 for unlimited data on 3G phones that they don't consider smartphones tho. Personally I'm pretty fed up w/AT&T... I'm in a family plan w/my sister as well and they've tried to screw us over several times by inadvertently changing features within the plan (or the entire rate) and then claiming they had no way of changing it back ('till you ask for enough supervisors and bitch long enough, sigh, then they miraculously discover a solution).

I'm on an 800 min plan for like $60 +$10 for the 2nd line IIRC, +$30 for unlimited texting for both +$10 for unlimited internet on one and another $10 for an extra 1000 received-call minutes on one of the lines (my sister's)... That last bit is what makes it work for us, since she uses the bulk of the minutes and I've been content w/unlimited txt/data on my cheap Sony Ericsson phone for now (all I can say is Opera Mini ftw). The day I decide to get a smartphone I'll probably go elsewhere tho and my sister might be SOL, tho for her use an unlimited plan's probably better, that way she can finally get data use on her Nokia E71x.

When she bought that phone last August thru RadioShack they were still allowing people to purchase it w/o a data plan... I actually suggested she pay double the price for the unlocked version so she could use it with the $10 unlimited data plan but who knows, AT&T might've eventually entered the IMEI for it into their system as well.

Last edited:

I'm not sure the $30 smartphone fee includes ANY texting at all...? I'm not seeing that on their site. $20 gets you unlimited texting.

Yeah, unless it's a new sort of plan $30 has been the price of their unlimited data plan for smartphones for a while now, but it's data and data only, no texting included in that AFAIK unless the deal they made him was part of the grandfather process from his old plan...

Seems like it's pretty standard with Verizon and AT&T...$20 for unlimited SMS/MMS and $30 for unlimited data smartphone (tethering is $15 extra).

Back