Nexus nerd picked up an iPhone 7 Plus

So how does Apple use those dual cameras?

At least on my Honor 8 the benefits are really obviously. Dynamic range is great and it clearly lets in more light. It's not possible to take pure bw shots since no Leica branding but still. Sharpness is great from center to corners but the dual camera thing has hardly anything to do with that.

There's that fake dof thing too but fake is fake and never as good as the real thing.

Two ways.

The zoom was the first thing to show up and, from what I've seen, is implemented pretty elegantly: you can either tap a button for a quick 2X zoom or use a scrolling zoom that automatically switches to the longer-ranged camera at a certain point. As close as you get to optical zoom without a motorized lens.

The other bit is the "fake DOF thing," as you put it. Yeah, it won't be as good as the real thing, but there should be many times when it'll be close enough. I'm particularly interested to know how that works in practice.

Two ways.

The zoom was the first thing to show up and, from what I've seen, is implemented pretty elegantly: you can either tap a button for a quick 2X zoom or use a scrolling zoom that automatically switches to the longer-ranged camera at a certain point. As close as you get to optical zoom without a motorized lens.

The other bit is the "fake DOF thing," as you put it. Yeah, it won't be as good as the real thing, but there should be many times when it'll be close enough. I'm particularly interested to know how that works in practice.
I see... It's better to use it for zooming too rather than just for DoF.

At least on Huawei you just use the wide aperture mode, set what F stop you want and then shoot. It looks like Apple doesn't allow you to change the intensity though. Here's how the fake dof looks on my Honor 8.
IMG_20170205_172115.jpg

My fears of going apple are also there. Been a long time nexus user myself, back to galaxy nexus. (had an iphon 4s briefly, hated it, too small). but seeing the new iphones, i'm not as afraid.

A few things on the iPhone suprised me with how bad they were. Like, "How the fuck did they let this design through?" bad.

Notifications are attrocious. Single, separated notifications for every single thing, chronological order, no grouping, just awful.

The control center is pretty bad. Heck, even accessing it is bad. I constantly try to quickly swipe up, and end up scrolling endlessly the web page I was reading

Doubletapping the home button while locked to bring up Apple Pay CONSTANTLY misfires for me. I'll try to unlock the device and Apple Pay comes up. Frustrating.

As for non-design related issues...

Said it time and again, reddit clients are awful on iOS compared to Android. Comparing Narwhal (best iOS client) to Slide/Boost/Sync on Android is laughable.

Mail clients. MAIL CLIENTS! There's not a single, reliable email client outside of Apple Mail that doesn't route your email through their 3rd party servers to track/monetize your info. I've checked. They're all guilty in some fashion, OR they charge $5/month to use their client. $5 per MONTH! Outlook, Alto, Spark, Newton/Cloudmagic, BlueMail/TypeApp, etc etc etc etc etc. They're all guilty of it.

Default apps. I use Gmail, I use Google Maps. I just do, and I'm not alone. But if I click an email link, Apple Mail pops up. If I click an address, Apple Maps comes up, with no way of changing it. So I literally have to copy and paste that shit in. Again, frustrating.

So yeah, almost 4 months in, and I'm still frustrated, but I'm forcing myself to give it more time.

Doubletapping the home button while locked to bring up Apple Pay CONSTANTLY misfires for me. I'll try to unlock the device and Apple Pay comes up. Frustrating.

As for non-design related issues...

Said it time and again, reddit clients are awful on iOS compared to Android. Comparing Narwhal (best iOS client) to Slide/Boost/Sync on Android is laughable.

Mail clients. MAIL CLIENTS! There's not a single, reliable email client outside of Apple Mail that doesn't route your email through their 3rd party servers to track/monetize your info. I've checked. They're all guilty in some fashion, OR they charge $5/month to use their client. $5 per MONTH! Outlook, Alto, Spark, Newton/Cloudmagic, BlueMail/TypeApp, etc etc etc etc etc. They're all guilty of it.

Default apps. I use Gmail, I use Google Maps. I just do, and I'm not alone. But if I click an email link, Apple Mail pops up. If I click an address, Apple Maps comes up, with no way of changing it. So I literally have to copy and paste that shit in. Again, frustrating.

So yeah, almost 4 months in, and I'm still frustrated, but I'm forcing myself to give it more time.

Addressing a few of the issues you raised:

On accidentally triggering Apple Pay, I haven't really found that to be an issue. Maybe it's just because I've trained myself -- I raise to wake so it's always just one tap for me.

I'm fine with the official Reddit app on iOS... I presume you've given that a shot? My only big beef with it is that the tap targets are relatively small.

One trick for getting around default app limitations is to use share sheets when you can. Gmail thankfully has one, though I suspect that won't always be available to you.

And one last thing: apple.com/feedback is your friend. Not that Apple will suddenly open up app defaults because you asked, but the company does take feedback under advisement, especially for little things that are relatively easy to improve.

I single tap as well. It just opens apple pay about 10-15% of the time. It's an annoyance.

The official reddit app is a steaming pile of garbage as compared to Android 3rd party clients. I'm sorry, it might be acceptable for a lot of people, but it's just not *good*. Narwhal is the best option I found on iOS, and even that can't compare.

As for share sheets? I fail to see how this fixes anything in my examples, I'm sorry. You can't share from Apple Mail to Gmail. You might as well just copy and paste the email address. On the same point, I don't believe you can share from Apple Maps to Google Maps. Even still, to click an address, have it open Apple Maps, then click the share button, share to Google Maps, wait for that to open, THEN start doing what you need to do? It's silly. It's simply not convenient, nor user friendly, which is what iOS is SUPPOSED to be about.

As for Apple's feedback line: This has been an issue from the first iPhone. It's been what, 7 years? It's not changing anytime soon. They're aware, and they want people using their services/apps. This isn't an oversight, it's a design choice, and it's not good for the customer.

This reads like some garbage facebook clickbait article. Just the first sentence alone is cringe worthy with the amount of arrogance and self importance...

We don't all know your phone history nor do we care. Also don't care for the "I swear I'm being unbiased" routine. It's so transparent.

The old bash apple or Android shit is so 2009. It's a phone.

Posted from my htc10 before sone zealot proclaims me an apple fanboy.

with the amount of arrogance and self importance

You posted this in a thread that hasn't been touched in 2 weeks to rant about how nobody cares about the thread. The irony is thicker than a milkshake here.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Don't know how you can call iOS notifications garbage, what was garbage was my fuking Note 4 and filling the top bar with stupid notification icons constantly. I love how Apple have notifications for important things and nothing else and you dont have to go through and clear them all seperately or pay attention to them at all for that matter.

You posted this in a thread that hasn't been touched in 2 weeks to rant about how nobody cares about the thread. The irony is thicker than a milkshake here.

It might be ironic if it wasnt only half way down the first page of the subforum. This Sub seems to have died pretty badly. First page has threads over 2 weeks old...

Sadly this phone subforum seems ultra quiet. Not nearly as active as it used to be year

Sadly this phone subforum seems ultra quiet. Not nearly as active as it used to be year

You can only talk about phones so much nowadays. They're all the same for the most part. Just different UI's and different shiny bodies.

Does anybody really give a shit anymore about the new flagship from any OEM? I don't for the most part. The only phone I care about getting new information on at this point is Pixel and even then...the only information I give a shit about there is will Google sell the Pixel through all carriers in the future?

Honestly I'm more concerned with the rumors that Galaxy S8 and iPhone 8 will both be $1,000+. Things are really getting out of hand in terms of phone cost.

If you want entertainment though I can go on a rant about how shitty iPhone has been for wife (for 3 generations now) and what a garbage service iMessage really is. :D I can then rant about how my wife hasn't listened to me since the day she decided to move to iPhone with iPhone 6. I told her only trouble will come from it and I was right...yet I can't get her out of that ecosystem at this point no matter how much I beg and plead. :(

Verm, they'll have an MSRP even higher, but BOGO deals and "free" upgrades with trade in will be quite popular. Apparently (rumored) T-Mo has a deal in place to trade in your S7 for a free S8 upgrade, or a BOGO when you add a line.

Switched to Verizon and got my wife and I an iPhone 7 plus each. This will be my first iPhone I purchased myself. I had an iPhone 6 with my old company for about a year, and it was okay, but I still prefer Android. I couldn't use it heavily like I do my personal phone, because I was on a share plan with 7 other phones. I was tempted to pick up a Pixel, but I didn't want to wait for one. I'm pretty sure my wife will like it, but it'll take me a little while to decide if I want to keep it as my personal phone. I really wish there was other phones with removable batteries besides the V20. I've gone through a G2, G3, and G4, so I figured I'd try something else other than LG.

I'm still on my iPhone 7 Plus from Christmastime. And I'm a long time Android fan, mostly Nexus guy having bought most of them starting with the Nexus-One. And also have owned the a lot of the big Samsung Galaxy flagship phones over years.

I am growing to like this 7 Plus a lot. Sure there's a ton of annoyances, quite a lot actually. But they are annoying things. But the big things like Battery life, and smoothness of OS and stability really have been an eye opener. This phone is rock solid stable, with battery life I've never seen on any smartphone before, the battery just doesn't drain and is always dependable and amazing.

The screen is super bright and clear outdoors. It really is great on sunny days.

The speaker is crazy loud and very good. I did not expect that.

I use all the Google apps on this phone even Gboard and stuff, and they all work perfect.

But yes, there's a ton of annoyances compared to stock Android. A laundry list of frustrating little things on iOS compared to a Nexus. But there is no perfect phone it seems. The two big things are Notifications sucks balls on the iPhone. And not being able to assign specific apps as opposed to it only defaulting to the Apple ones. Like the keyboard I want the Gboard on and used 100% of the time, but thats not possible. Oh and iMessage isn't the be all end all, it's ok at best best.

Last edited:
I jailbroke last week, for one simple reason: To get rid of that completely ridiculous, gigantic square in the middle of your screen when you change the volume. It's completely mind boggling that this would be a thing, in this day & age. So StatusVol2 gets installed and it's much nicer, still haven't found a decent tweak to change default apps.

As far as the community goes: Man, Jailbreak people are a bunch of whiney, narcissistic bitches, just in general. I have never seen such a gathering of entitled, overlysensitive assholes since I saw a playstation vs xbox fight. Or the classic Apple hipster from like 6 years ago.

Trying to read up on jailbreaks and how shit works makes me despise the community more & more, and makes me think it's just not worth it.

Zorachus: Agree on the screen and speakers, though I miss the SAMOLED in my S7. Battery life to me is nice, but not neccessary. I FAR prefer Google's keyboard on Android than on iOS. iMessage must be nice if you own a mac, I guess. I don't see the big deal.

With the rumored upcoming T-Mobile promo of "trade in your S7 for a free S8", I see myself going back, and selling off the iPhone. Oh well, I tried.

ent you JB your 7 / 7 Plus ? I'm afraid to due to that being super buggy from Luca. I did force lock my 7 Plus to 10.1.1 but waiting for the stable JB release from Luca rumor to be out next month.

ent you JB your 7 / 7 Plus ? I'm afraid to due to that being super buggy from Luca. I did force lock my 7 Plus to 10.1.1 but waiting for the stable JB release from Luca rumor to be out next month.
I tried the Yalu JB on my 7+, but it led to a lot of instability and crashes. The tweaks/apps on Cydia that I want still haven't updated to OS 10, anyway.

Yeah, it crashes pretty badly. Definitely the most unstable phone I've ever used, and my tweaks are beyond minimal. StatusVol2, pull2respring, and that's just about it. I tried a tweak that was supposed to always set alarms at max volume, and the fucking thing would always set alarms at MINIMUM volume.

Anyways... Yeah. The actual JB process took about 2 hours because it failed about 50 times. It reboots on its own about 2-3 times a day on average, sometimes more. Every reboot means you need to run Mach_Portal again, which probably has a 40% failure/reboot rate, then respring afterwards which has a 50% failure/reboot rate. Very. Fucking. Frustrating.

All I wanted was Noctis, StatusVolX, that alarm tweak, and one to change default apps (for Google Maps, Gmail and Chrome). I'm sure as fuck not paying $2 for Noctis if I'm not going to use it, or even know if it works properly. There's no trial or refund period, and at this time it's install & pray.

Android and root spoiled us. The XDA community might be a bunch of cunts these days, but at least the old school people help. The JB people come and go so often, they're ALL just cunts now.

Edit: I forgot to add - After what happened last week with Snapchat++'s author (I think it was that tweak), anyways, it was some middle eastern guy who was pretty trusted in the community. Turns out he was saying (in arabic) on his Twitter, that he was stealing people's Snapchat logins, and they deserved what they got.

This brought up the whole safety while JBed, and the permission system (which is MUCH better on Android) and the fact that open source root-based apps are audited by the XDA community to weed out fuckery like this. I feel 1000x safer on a rooted Android phone than iPhone right now.

I feel no need what so ever to Jb this ip7plus. I have every Google app installed and am very happy so far. No the phone isn't perfect but nothing is. Neither were all of my android phones. Overall I agree with zorch most of the important things to me on this device keep me happy enough to probably stay with Apple for a while and probably upgrade to an ip8 in the fall. Again this is my first iOS device ever after being with a new android device every year since the g1.

Moral of the story is to not get an iPhone if you "need" a jailbreak. Apple has done a good job of closing the holes one by one for the past 10 years. Their goal has always been a closed system. Don't expect anything else.

Something's don't default. For instance a location link in google inbox will open google maps. Few and far between though most go to default apple apps and that annoys me too.

Small update for you... Things have definitely come around a bit as far as bugginess goes. I've definitely limited my tweaks down to the bare essentials, and I reboot maybe once or twice a week now. It covers my needs for the most part, but yeah, still not 100% feeling it. I'll definitely be picking up an S8 and switch off as the day takes me.

The tweaks I have are worth it though. (None of these pics are mine)

StatusVol2 - No more bullshit giant volume popup anywhere. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ2-ak6VEAAztZ0.png

PriorityHub2 - Lock screen notifications that make more sense - http://tools4hack.santalab.me/media/uploads/2017/03/beta-start-priorityhub2-support-ios10-01.jpg

TinyBar - customize the notification banner - http://cdn.iphonehacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/TinyBar.jpg

Pull2Respring - Basically Respringing is reloading your UI after you install tweaks, has to be done. This lets you pull down on the settings screen to respring. Just convenient

Browser Changer - Lets you make Chrome & Google maps your default. Mostly works. Mostly.

Various: A file explorer (iFile), a CCleaner type called iCleaner, a tweak to install 10.2 emojis & change fonts (Bytafont3), and a terminal app.

That is the reason i've always gone Android. Lack of noticeable power, very little customization options and small-ish batteries, are the reasons i despise anything Apple-made. Can't deny their stuff looks nice as hell, but looks aren't everything.

That is the reason i've always gone Android. Lack of noticeable power, very little customization options and small-ish batteries, are the reasons i despise anything Apple-made. Can't deny their stuff looks nice as hell, but looks aren't everything.

But there is noticeable power. Hell, the A10 chip is likely to hang with and possibly outperform the Snapdragon 835. The cameras aren't always the absolute best, but they're competitive with the best.

And on batteries... it's not capacity, it's real-world run time. The iPhone 7 Plus in particular lasts a long while. Instead of asking why Apple uses smaller batteries, I'd rather ask why many Android phones are so wasteful that they need big batteries.

Customization is certainly a concern, but don't cling to stereotypes about the hardware... they're not really true.

I think what he's saying (at least I hope) is that Android flagships of similar physical sizes could hold a 3000 mAh battery, which means iPhones could possibly last 1.5 days as opposed to 1 day battery.

Meanwhile I do wonder just how hard it is to built a custom Android OS that does state saves rather than true multitasking for better memory management and battery life.

Aurelius let's call a spade a spade here. Yes, the 7 Plus lasts a long time. Have you noticed how fucking HUGE it is though? The regular 7's battery life is pitiful. Compare that with, say, an S7/S7 Edge, which lasts a lot longer, or a Pixel XL, and it'spretty much neck & neck.

Yes, the OS is more optimized, because it barely multitasks at all. Android could do that too, but then you have the shit memory management fiasco that the Galaxy S6 had, and people bitching and moaning.

That being said... Why the hell does anyone NEED a day & a half per charge? Wake up, pull it off the charger. Go to bed, put it on the charger. Power user? Keep a charger at your desk or in your car. Unless you're out camping for weeks, I don't see the appeal.

Aurelius let's call a spade a spade here. Yes, the 7 Plus lasts a long time. Have you noticed how fucking HUGE it is though? The regular 7's battery life is pitiful. Compare that with, say, an S7/S7 Edge, which lasts a lot longer, or a Pixel XL, and it'spretty much neck & neck.

Yes, the OS is more optimized, because it barely multitasks at all. Android could do that too, but then you have the shit memory management fiasco that the Galaxy S6 had, and people bitching and moaning.

That being said... Why the hell does anyone NEED a day & a half per charge? Wake up, pull it off the charger. Go to bed, put it on the charger. Power user? Keep a charger at your desk or in your car. Unless you're out camping for weeks, I don't see the appeal.

I have the standard iPhone 7 and my battery life is fine. I've gone for long days using it normally and wasn't in a panic to find a charger. The 7 Plus is certainly bigger than it'd have to be for the screen, but that doesn't have much bearing on the mAh count. A 2,900mAh pack is going to offer the same potential power on any device; it's how you use it that matters.

And the appeal of a longer than one-day charge? It'll help if you're traveling, to be sure, but it also comes down to heavy use. The 7 Plus is a phone you can thrash hard without worrying that you'll run out of power by the end of the day. Shoot some 4K video, play some games, stream music, knock yourself out. Only some people will need that, but if you're the kind to drop some cash on a 7 Plus, you're more likely to be in that group.

As for multitasking... yes, I know that Android has better multitasking, but we've come a long way from the days when things would stop almost as soon as you left an app. It's not like iPhone owners are groaning under the yoke of oppression.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
No, I mean the 7+'s size as compared to other 5.5" screens. It's RIDICULOUSLY huge. And because of that, they can fit in a larger battery.

As for a standard 7, you're in the minority. Poor battery life is a known compromise with the 4.7".

Back