Nexus M ( 2015 ) Smartphone

derp derp... No. It's not quick charge 2.0 if quick charge 2.0 chargers does not quick charge the phones... Simple logic. I don't even know what the hell you are even arguing this for.

Technically, QC2.0 has a max of 3A, but at 3A, it only has a max 5V, but those chargers are few. Majority of QC2.0 chargers are limited to 2A per OEM test control. Most of those chargers would ramp down the ampere to 1.5 or 1.6A and ramp up the voltage to 9V, or 1.2A/12V. But if the phone doesn't recognize the quick charge support, the charge defaults to 2A/5V if not 1.5A/5V. See the OEM specs of your charger.

Hence, find the 3A/5V chargers. But it will not Quick Charge.

It was and is quite simple someone went "ZOMG THIS CHARGES SO FAST DUE TO TYPE-C!"

When it charges no faster than all major phones made last year. QC2 phones last year used variable voltage and amperage and were charging at 15W last year. The N6 2014 Moto charger does 14.4W (after all is said and done). Further Type-C has nothing to do with it anyway, since type-c is only a physical interconnect standard and specifies nada wrt the data or charging throughput.

Android Central just released an article testing the heat output of the 6P's Snapdragon 810 under load:

http://www.androidcentral.com/does-nexus-6p-get-hot

Its very light on benchmarking details (he references this previous benchmarking article several times, which used the AnTuTu benchmarking app, so its safe to assume he's using the same one for this test), but the end result is that the 6P is actually cooler under load than the Galaxy S6 Edge while "not sacrificing performance" in his words (I guess that means he didn't experience throttling).

or the nexus 5X, what carrier are you little females using it on? verizon? t-mobile? sprint? at&t? cricket? metroPOS? Virgin Mobile? Cingular? !?!

It was and is quite simple someone went "ZOMG THIS CHARGES SO FAST DUE TO TYPE-C!"

When it charges no faster than all major phones made last year. QC2 phones last year used variable voltage and amperage and were charging at 15W last year. The N6 2014 Moto charger does 14.4W (after all is said and done). Further Type-C has nothing to do with it anyway, since type-c is only a physical interconnect standard and specifies nada wrt the data or charging throughput.
Once again, you're not going to get 15W out of typical QC2.0 chargers on the Nexus 5X/6P. I have not found a QC2.0 3A/5W charger. I find some 2A/5W chargers. And, sure, those ramps up to 1.5A/9W or 1.2A/12V to make 15W if it is QC2.0 compatible. But the Nexus 5X/6P are not QC2.0 compatible, leaving you with a max of either 2A/5V or 10W at best, or worse 1.5A/5V or 7.5W if the charger does not unrecognized the device. Sure, it's got nothing to do the with USB Type-C. But it has everything to do with the 3A/5V charger in the box. If you want fast charging for the Nexus 5X/6P, you pretty much have to bring the charger included in box with you everywhere or buy the additional chargers from Google . There is probably only one third party 3A/5V wall charger available, and DL reviewed it to not be as good as the one in box. (Another is preorder a QC3.0 charger.) Once QC3.0 chargers start rolling out, there should be plenty of third party chargers that could fast charge your Nexus 5X/6P, because the minimal specs of that is 3A/5V.

Last edited:
Of course this fucking phone (6P) is out of stock everywhere now that I need to actually order one. Is it just me, or is the black version a horrible idea.

Chang3d is right, it's not QC 2.0 any way you slice it. QC tops out at 2A/5V, while raising voltage (varies from 5V/9V/12V) and dropping amperage in order to accelerate charge speed when the battery is at lower capacities. Whereas these new USB C Nexus phones only use 5V/3A charging and never accept over 5V. Yeah, wattage may be the same, but the way the current is delivered is different. Either way they seem to achieve the same charging speeds, but they are definitely different implementations.

Marques Brownlee's Nexus 6P review is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc5fFvp8le4

So far all the reviews I've seen have nothing but praise for it. The only consistent negatives I can see are:

1). Google Now on Tap can be very inconsistent. Hopefully this will get fixed with time.

2). Highlights tend to get blown out in daylight with the camera. Though this is apparently fixed in HDR+ mode.

3). Battery life is good despite the display and SD810, but not great.

4). No OIS means that video can be wobbly if you're not careful (though this doesn't appear to affect photography)

Yes, it was this. My apologies for sparking the brainfest. I have no knowledge of the backings of this. Coming from a Nexus 5, this charges about twice as fast, which impressed me.

aukey makes a QC 3.0 charger and it's available on Amazon

Considering Aukey's inability to make a Qi charger that doesn't self-destruct...I'll keep their QC3 charger the hell away from the rest of my electronics.

I understand why you want to buy this brand new charger, but you do realize that the Nexus 5X/6P are not Quick Charge 2.0/3.0 compatible yet? It might not ever be QC compatible despite the hardware being there. Although it will most likely charge the Nexus 5X/6P at the same 5V/3A as the one in the box, but QC3.0 is a much bigger deal for phones that are QC3.0 compatible. Without that compatibility, why buy an aftermarket product that is more expensive than one straight from Google? If you want a QC3.0 charger to charge other phones as well as the Nexus 6P, I'd wait for multiport QC3.0 chargers. The Aukey charger at $30 is not a good deal for the Nexus 5X/6P.

My first-hour-ordered graphite 64GB Nexus 6P just got a tracking number and shipping notification.

I imagine the new SIM will beat it here; I'm going to switch from Ting to Cricket. Sprint's just 3G here, T-Mobile's patchy on data...but AT&T's towers are solid.

My first-hour-ordered graphite 64GB Nexus 6P just got a tracking number and shipping notification.

I imagine the new SIM will beat it here; I'm going to switch from Ting to Cricket. Sprint's just 3G here, T-Mobile's patchy on data...but AT&T's towers are solid.

Just got mine too. It'll be here this Friday. That is awesome, since my original ship date was somewhere between November 10-12.

Just use an Apple iPad brick and plug your USB A to C cable in that. My Nexus 5x said it was quick charging with it and if I used the same cable in a Samsung standard USB adapter.it did not. I charge at night so I did not check how fast it was charging other than what the lock screen showed.

I wish the 5x came with a C to A cable instead of a C to C cable. Had to order one from fleabay to connect to my computer or use old chargers.

I wish the 5x came with a C to A cable instead of a C to C cable. Had to order one from fleabay to connect to my computer or use old chargers.

Why fleabay? I got three nice ones on Amazon with Prime shipping for under $20.

Is anyone else having trouble with the M forgetting paired BT devices? My N6 keeps dropping my car's pairing.

6P came in the mail today.

Initial impressions (just had time to get the thing set to start setting itself up based off my 5):

Camera will have to be played with a bit more; it was looking a bit warmer than it should have, with it seeing things more yellow than expected.
Speakers are really good
Screen looks great.
Not ungainly large. I don't know that it's much, but it feels smaller than the Nexus 6 we have at work, or the iPhone 6S+ that a coworker has (she has hers in a case; I plan to run mine naked)
Brightness / readability in sunlight couldn't be tested, as it's overcast
USB C is a bigger port than I expected.
Camera bulge is practically nonexistent when looking at it.
fingerprint reader is nice and fast. Looking forward to testing a bit further with the "trusted locations", but I've done no tweaking as of yet.

My SIM won't be here until later this afternoon.

Anyone planning on buying, or has already bought, both the 5X and the 6P? I'm actually considering it -- I usually spend my summers in Korea, so I'm thinking of putting my Straight Talk SIM in the 6P and my Olleh SIM in my 5X. :D

Have you considered a dual-SIM phone, like the Oneplus Two? And why not just swap SIMs and use the better phone (6P) in both countries? Seems like a waste to buy a new phone and not use it for months. Also, for the money, I would rather get the previous Nexus 6 for less than a new 5X with all the sub $300 sales going on for the old 6. Much better specs for less money, you just have to handle that massive thing, hah.

Who has the black Nexus 6P? Is it really a fingerprint magnet?

Anyone planning on buying, or has already bought, both the 5X and the 6P? I'm actually considering it -- I usually spend my summers in Korea, so I'm thinking of putting my Straight Talk SIM in the 6P and my Olleh SIM in my 5X. :D

I had the 5x but sold it. I put my order in today for the 6P. The 5x is a nice phone but if you are a high end phone type user it was somewhat of a let down. Hoping the 6P is as good as the reviews make it out to be.

I also put my order in today for a 64GB Alum 6P. And then I cancelled it...and then I re-ordered it. I was way too indecisive.

I absolutely love the hardware of my Note 4, but I am tired of being stuck on 5.0.1 with an update to 5.1.1, let alone Marshmallow, seeming to be far off on the horizon. And I really want to give pure Android a spin after being on Sense and TW UIs.

64GB Aluminum order!

I went from a Note 3, to a GS6 Edge, now I severely miss a large phone.

6P came in the mail today.

Initial impressions (just had time to get the thing set to start setting itself up based off my 5):

Camera will have to be played with a bit more; it was looking a bit warmer than it should have, with it seeing things more yellow than expected.
Speakers are really good
Screen looks great.
Not ungainly large. I don't know that it's much, but it feels smaller than the Nexus 6 we have at work, or the iPhone 6S+ that a coworker has (she has hers in a case; I plan to run mine naked)
Brightness / readability in sunlight couldn't be tested, as it's overcast
USB C is a bigger port than I expected.
Camera bulge is practically nonexistent when looking at it.
fingerprint reader is nice and fast. Looking forward to testing a bit further with the "trusted locations", but I've done no tweaking as of yet.

My SIM won't be here until later this afternoon.
Turn on HDR+ it seems to help according to a lot of reviewers.

Nexus 6P just came in and I'm setting it up as I type this. Quick observations:

1). The dimensions are fairly close to my OnePlus One, so I'm already used to it. 6P is only a little wider, but noticeably taller and thinner.

2). Its easier to hold than my 2015 Moto G despite having a smooth back. The width and chamfered edges help a lot with that.

3). Front facing stereo speakers are a thing I will never give up again.

4). Still debating whether to set the display to sRGB mode or not. Colors are obviously much more vibrant with it off, but there's less strain on my eyes with it on.

5). Looking at the screen at an angle I can see the blue-ish tint some reviewers were talking about. But looking at it head on there's more of a slight peach-y hue to it. The AMOLED on my old Nokia Lumia 925 was the same (though much, MUCH worse; as in whites looked light pink all the time).

6). Head-on, the whites on my OnePlus One look noticeably better than the 6P's. At an angle, the whites on the 6P look noticeably better than the OnePlus One's (by virtue of the 6P's display being brighter at an angle).

7). Performance on the 6P blows away the OnePlus One (as it should). Wi-Fi performance on Brighthouse's BHN Secure network seems better as well, though I'll need more time to be sure.

8). Taking photos with HDR+ mode turned on isn't slow at all for me, despite what some reviews said.

Will add more as I use it more.

Last edited:
Whites seems to be the only weakness in AMOLEDs in general. I think the whites look much whiter on my M8 than my wife's GS6. Her GS6 has a slightly pinkish hue to to as well even on max brightness. I definitely think the true blacks more than make up for it though.

I'm noticing a strange issue where, when the phone is about a foot from your face, the top speaker sounds louder than the bottom one. Listening to each speaker individually, they SEEM to be the same volume and the imbalance goes away as the phones moves farther from your face. Are any other 6P owners noticing this?

EDIT:

Just found a reddit thread where other people are noticing the same issue. At least I know its not just me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qso4k/is_anybody_not_having_speaker_balance_issues/

I'd like to see that guy get sued.

More embarrassing is seeing how gleefully Steve posted that video to the Front Page.
I get it - he's posting it half in jest, but many users won't perform the diligence to know that it's already been soundly debunked.

Jerry Rig is the real deal. Not the first time he's been mentioned and he subjects all his devices to the same punishment. Whether you like the results or not is another issue.

Last edited:
Back