Nexus 7 2013 - Charging issues

CanonicalAbstract

Special Attention Whore
I woke up this morning to find my nexus 7 at 41%, and I know that I had plugged it in to charge last night, not to mention that its easily at 100% by the time I get up for the morning.

As a test I plugged the tablet back in, also tried a different outlet and also different charger. Nothing is charging this thing. Also rebooted. And nothing. I'm on lollipop 5.0.1 if that helps.

Any ideas? I saw that charging was an issue sometimes, also the charging port may need repair. Anyone do one of these before?

Should probably post this in the mobile computing forum. Someone there might be able to help you.

Sounds like your charging port needs to be replaced or the connector may have come loose. Its a very easy part to replace and can be ordered on ebay for $30. I would first open up the nexus to make sure the connector is secure

Looks like ifixit is your friend.
They have a repair up for 2012 models which looks easy. You may have to look around for a part list for the 2013 model.

The Qi charger is under consideration. Might even be the cheaper way to resolve this.

For what its worth I tried cracking the case open, and suddenly the charging icon came up on the screen. As I was trying to work the case open it disappeared again. I tried a charger again and nothing.

I'm conceding and gonna check iFixIt as well and compare.

Apparently, the port will need to be soldered in - can anyone confirm that is correct?

I asked the iFixIt place near me and they fave me some shady answers about fixing the port. I guess I'll keep poking around. In the meantime, I don't have the tools to fixi it myself.

The biggest killer of this was that Best Buy A: only carries the Samsung wireless charging pad, and at $50 I'm not buying that. And any best buy reps I talked to hadn't a clue about wireless charging. So I conceded after looking around a bit. I'll probably order one online.

I use the Nokia wireless charger on mine. You can get one on Amazon

Last edited:
Well, a revelation today: it will charge using a Samsung charger, and while the power is off. And I found a repair place I'm gonna check out probably tomorrow.

My cable is messed up and the USB connection keeps dropping off and on. Works fine with any other cable.

Apparently, the port will need to be soldered in - can anyone confirm that is correct?

I asked the iFixIt place near me and they fave me some shady answers about fixing the port. I guess I'll keep poking around. In the meantime, I don't have the tools to fixi it myself.

The biggest killer of this was that Best Buy A: only carries the Samsung wireless charging pad, and at $50 I'm not buying that. And any best buy reps I talked to hadn't a clue about wireless charging. So I conceded after looking around a bit. I'll probably order one online.

It doesn't need to be soldered, you can buy the whole part to replace it. Its held on with 3-4 screws and a ribbon cable is attached.

Well, a revelation today: it will charge using a Samsung charger, and while the power is off. And I found a repair place I'm gonna check out probably tomorrow.

What is the voltage/amperage of the charger? Ive found that it charges best with 5.1v or higher. Charging with a 5v charger(Majority of chargers) will cause the slow charging on my nexus 7 2012

Same thing happened to my 2012, it charged super slow through the port because the port is loose/defective/broken. I just purchased the official dock for it and it charges super fast.

If you go the wireless charging route i've had good luck with a choetech Qi charger ordered from amazon. Feed it 2A at 5V and the nexus 7 2013 will be happy. The only thing I encountered is if I keep it in a case and leave it on there for a while (multiple days) the bottom of the tablet heats up a bit. Relieving the tablet of it's case solved that little problem.

It doesn't need to be soldered, you can buy the whole part to replace it. Its held on with 3-4 screws and a ribbon cable is attached.

Umm, the part linked does need to be soldered... You are mixing up the 2012 Nexus 7 and the 2013 Nexus 7. Unfortunately the newer one is much costlier to repair, or requires decent soldering ability.

OP: I think you are likely best off going with wireless charging, buy something on Amazon.

Linked 8$ part:
AdR3MWk.png

Entire Charging Daughter Board ($90 part that is out of stock):
xgWPCqzl.jpg

Damn, it cost me $13 to buy the part, and less than 30 minutes with a flathead and a Phillips screwdriver, to replace the charge port of a gen 1 Nexus 7 tablet. They made the newer one a pita apparently.

Damn, it cost me $13 to buy the part, and less than 30 minutes with a flathead and a Phillips screwdriver, to replace the charge port of a gen 1 Nexus 7 tablet. They made the newer one a pita apparently.

Yes they did. Normally iFixit will ding mobile electronics on their repairability score if they make the charging port costly to replace. For some reason they did not ding the Nexus 7. Charging ports often fail, I had to replace the one on my Galaxy Nexus. It was also a smaller part attached to the main board and was cheap to replace, that is definitely the better design decision.

Well, tablet is fixed!! Turns out two pins on the charging port were crossed. Resoldered and good as new!! :D

Back