Nexus 6P the honeymoon is over

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, my beloved 6P after just a few months has finally lost its luster.

The data connection drops all the time. Cannot use streaming music at all without resetting from airplane mode back to reattach or get a new signal.

Sounds like a widespread problem that Google has no intention of fixing. will be calling them about it but I know what that means. the runaround. I don't want a new phone, as I got a perfect phone other than this.

Seems like it may be related to Android updates.

Oh well, back to samsung or apple I guess. Thanks google.

Is your 6P on Android 6.0.1? It seems like that particular update broke a ton of shit. I realize this is rather involved, but try downgrading back to 6.0.0 and see if that doesn't fix anything.

Is your 6P on Android 6.0.1? It seems like that particular update broke a ton of shit. I realize this is rather involved, but try downgrading back to 6.0.0 and see if that doesn't fix anything.

I am suspicious of that update. However, I have done at least two updates since 6.0.0 so I am not sure if the first update broke it.

Called google and they are all but blaming the carrier. Bullshit I said, because I was fine for a month or two after getting it. This happened either after a third party app was installed or an update.

I am going to run in SAFE mode for a while to see if that fixes it.

I love the damn phone, but if I can't fix it I am going to have to ditch it.

I know the modem for 6.0.1 causes a lot of problems for many people. Could be worth unlocking just so you can flash the older modem (which works fine even in 6.0.1).

Seems like every phone I get is great for one month and then the shit starts to stink.

Woe is me.

This is why I disable all OTA updates and auto app updates. Almost always seem to make things worse. Or they fix or add something cool, only to screw something else up that was perfect.

Android just pisses me off these days it seems.

This is why I disable all OTA updates and auto app updates. Almost always seem to make things worse. Or they fix or add something cool, only to screw something else up that was perfect.

Android just pisses me off these days it seems.

I agree, I have a 6P and thankfully I haven't had any major issues. I really love the hardware, but even being pure nexus I still get little glitches every now and then. stock apps will crash every now and then. It will flake out here and there when I click things. it will act like it's hanging and not responding and then will like 5x ffwd and catch up to the couple things I clicked on. Not major, but some annoying things.

Sucks because the hardware is effing fantastic. Love the camera and finger print sensor.

I really wish Microsoft would get their act together and actually put in the effort to join the smartphone ecosystem.

Hmmm I have a nexus 6 on 6.01 and this is the first phone I have not rooted right away. had it about 6 weeks and it's pretty awesome.

I'm currently running a 6.0.1 modem on top of a 6.0.0 ro. That fixed alot of signal issues in weak areas for me but the connection issue that others have been having by taking the entire 6.0.1 has been non-existent.

Have you tried flashing older radio's?

I've had no issues but I'm always typically in solid coverage areas.

Well, my beloved 6P after just a few months has finally lost its luster.

The data connection drops all the time. Cannot use streaming music at all without resetting from airplane mode back to reattach or get a new signal.

Sounds like a widespread problem that Google has no intention of fixing. will be calling them about it but I know what that means. the runaround. I don't want a new phone, as I got a perfect phone other than this.

Seems like it may be related to Android updates.

Oh well, back to samsung or apple I guess. Thanks google.
Damnit I was just about to buy one....

I am suspicious of that update. However, I have done at least two updates since 6.0.0 so I am not sure if the first update broke it.

Called google and they are all but blaming the carrier. Bullshit I said, because I was fine for a month or two after getting it. This happened either after a third party app was installed or an update.

I am going to run in SAFE mode for a while to see if that fixes it.

I love the damn phone, but if I can't fix it I am going to have to ditch it.
Which carrier are you running? I haven't heard to many things about Huawei but I wonder if they could be the issue?

This is the reason I left Android, it's very sad to see the unreliable updates hit vanilla.

I repair phones as my job, ill be staying with Sammy. Too much hassles and weird problems with other brands, HTC M8 is at the top section of my dont buy list, despite its seemingly nice interface, Sony Ive lost interest in and LG I hope makes a sturdier phone as planned in the G5 (and maybe modular?). Apple is on its own planet as far as I can tell, for the people who arent into real tech. East enough to fix an iPhone in most cases, but the look on a customers face when i tell em how much the repair of a 6S is gonna be is priceless.

The S6 was pretty ordinary IMO, the S7 looks like its gonna be a stunner, I own a Note 5 and its great, my day to day is an S5 and Ive had very few hassles (mostly attributed to running out of RAM cos only 2gb), the Edge models are niche and also very expensive to repair.

On the Huawei front Ive havent really seen anything out of the ordinary, but the majority of them are very basic. The Blackberry Priv steikes my fancy but I hear battery life and the keyboard arent that great, also yet to repair one.

Damnit I was just about to buy one....

I wouldn't let this problem stop you quite yet.
It is still THE BEST phone I have ever had. I hope this will be resolved but many are not having this problem so who knows.

When I look back the only other phone I wold consider is the iPhone 6S Plus but I just cannot stomach going back to IOS

When I look back the only other phone I wold consider is the iPhone 6S Plus but I just cannot stomach going back to IOS

And I bet your head and your heart feel as bad as your stomach having to fathom that. Dont jump on that space shuttle dude, its a long road back.

I know, dude, I know. must resist.....

If you want a phone that will actually work 99.99% of the time, it's probably a better choice. I don't know what it is with Android, but it always feels unfinished every time I use it. This S6 has weird issues where sometimes it performs like a phone from 10 years ago (I make sure the battery saving options are off) and I've had it fail to send text messages, forcing me to restart it. Other than the screen, there really isn't anything great about this phone. An 8-Core CPU is pretty pointless when it doesn't even perform well.

If you want a phone that will actually work 99.99% of the time, it's probably a better choice. I don't know what it is with Android, but it always feels unfinished every time I use it. This S6 has weird issues where sometimes it performs like a phone from 10 years ago (I make sure the battery saving options are off) and I've had it fail to send text messages, forcing me to restart it. Other than the screen, there really isn't anything great about this phone. An 8-Core CPU is pretty pointless when it doesn't even perform well.
I agree 100%. I'm not a huge iPhone fan but they do seem to work most of the time.

I've only have to restart my iPhone once or twice a week to have tip top performance, and even without restarting it's still very much usable, just not in certain larger apps such as games.

Where as my android stuck on 5.0.2, fuck that. Restart multiple times a day. Can't even answer a frigging phone call. Rooting it and installing 5.1 fixed that problem though, but one shouldn't have to root to make the phone work. So I'm out on Android unless it's Nexus or some phone with guaranteed quick updates such as HTC A9, etc.

I've only have to restart my iPhone once or twice a week to have tip top performance, and even without restarting it's still very much usable, just not in certain larger apps such as games.

Where as my android stuck on 5.0.2, fuck that. Restart multiple times a day. Can't even answer a frigging phone call. Rooting it and installing 5.1 fixed that problem though, but one shouldn't have to root to make the phone work. So I'm out on Android unless it's Nexus or some phone with guaranteed quick updates such as HTC A9, etc.
I was really wanting the nexus 6p but I heard updates where iffy

I've restarted my iPhone twice, both were due to OTA's, first was to fix a battery drain issue and the second was their usual batch of security fixes.

Now on my Note 3 that was a whole different story. Before 5.0.1(2) it wasn't much of an issue, a restart a week or two didn't bother me one bit, but since the upgrade to 5, holy balls it was terrible. Rooted and installed a bunch of different 5.1 ROM's, found one that was mostly stable but still the user experience was ruined.

The issue isn't the phone manufacture but rather google not seeing it as a big enough issue to fix, obviously, or they just haven't gotten around to releasing the fix.

I'll take the freedom of the huawei, htc or motorola device any day over the samsung hack job, touchwiz.

I'll give it to the iPhone and iPad Air 2 atm, they run fluently for the most part. having repaired a lot of them they don't fall short of their strange problems either. Good luck if that fingerprint sensor stop working on that home button, either the phone will brick on update or it will never work again once replaced.

Nota fan of the S6 myself, despite it's premium build, it's really quite a boring phone. Like I say the Edge models are niche, but no reason to buy other than maybe bragging rights/showing off. I think they've learned their lesson with the upcoming 7, by the seems.

People want to be impressed these days, and on that note it's got me fucked why people still buy boring old iPhone. Every Apple device that comes across my desk seems the same these days. But they do optimize well enough to be smooth, but I will never fork out their asking premiums for the inferior hardware they put on the shelves. iOS/OSX ain't worth that much coin.

An
The issue isn't the phone manufacture but rather google not seeing it as a big enough issue to fix, obviously, or they just haven't gotten around to releasing the fix.

I'll take the freedom of the huawei, htc or motorola device any day over the samsung hack job, touchwiz.
I wish they would! I Want one so bad

I was really wanting the nexus 6p but I heard updates where iffy
I would take having the chance of "iffy" updates with frequent updates over having a ridiculously bad update with no additional update for a long time.

That said, android update record shows that sometimes it's better to clear the cache with every update... Which is silly, and probably a Google problem.

I'll give it to the iPhone and iPad Air 2 atm, they run fluently for the most part. having repaired a lot of them they don't fall short of their strange problems either. Good luck if that fingerprint sensor stop working on that home button, either the phone will brick on update or it will never work again once replaced.

This has been talked about even on front page [H]|OCP. If you need your home button replaced go to Apple for it. Very simple. By fixing it with their OEM parts and whatever else it is they do it won't brick the phone.

People want to be impressed these days, and on that note it's got me fucked why people still buy boring old iPhone. Every Apple device that comes across my desk seems the same these days. But they do optimize well enough to be smooth, but I will never fork out their asking premiums for the inferior hardware they put on the shelves. iOS/OSX ain't worth that much coin.

You've mentioned your disdain for iOS twice in the same thread. Which is fine, your opinion. But if you really don't get it, it's simple. People buy iPhones because they work. They do what they're supposed to do and they do it quickly and efficiently. Apple's "A" series of processors have been a leader in performance for multiple generations. They haven't been on top every time but definitely competitive to any Android based offering at launch.

iOS is for people that don't feel a want or a need to mess about with their phones. After (lurking mostly) in the mobile section of this forum it gives me even less interest in ever picking up an Android phone. Why? Because I don't want to have to spend time to root my phone, or find an update for my phone that doesn't break 20 things, or kills battery life, or whatever. I don't want to have my immediate experience with any product to be: great bloatware. Or why is this super fast hardware so slow? You may feel it's "techy" to enjoy "working through that experience". I find it a waste of my time. I view my phone as a tool. If it does the things I want it to do in preferably as efficient a manner as possible then I'm good. This is why a lot of other people use it as well.

Heck this very thread illustrates my point. A Nexus 6P being a half-baked product, at least in the eyes of the OP. What's even worse to me is that it's possible to buy a flagship Android product, have it be Vanilla and supposed to receive all the updates ASAP and still be a broken experience. I don't have a want, desire, or have time to buy multiple phones a year to "test them for myself" and then "pick one" either. First off for just straight cost reasons. And obviously secondly for time. There is a small chance I'll get a lemon iPhone when I open the box. But even if I do, Apple will take care of me in that case and guess what I can just pickup my perfectly usable tool and go.

So where the rubber meets the road is just whether or not you like the way Apple does what it does. If not, then okay move along. But I prefer my tool to be reliable and quick. I expect its performance to be repeatable. I have no time, interest, or inclination to spend hours of my life figuring out custom ROM sets for phones in which I could be doing something more important with my life. For certain "so called" techy people phones are their hobby. Great. Nothing wrong with that, but it is a very narrow view to believe that people who aren't interested in tweaking and toying with a phone aren't capable of doing so. It's just not my hobby and I never want it to be. I am more than capable. It is just not "fun" for me.

===

For reference there are other topics I could have covered in my rant that I didn't. Look I acknowledge there are knowledge-less people using iPhones. Guess what, it's the same on the Android side. Hell there is an even less literate subgroup like my Father that don't even know the difference. But what is aggravating and enflaming for any conversation is when you make an assumption about an entire group of users. Are there morons? Yes, and you should thank God for them. Because clearly they're the ones that are funding your business. So if you feel like you're dealing with all of the 'unknowledgeable' ones in general you might draw a better correlation between tech literacy and accident proness. Rather than platform choice.

I also didn't bother to talk about the bigger quagmire in Android: fragmentation. It's hard for a flagship phone to receive updates after a year. Let alone multiple years unless the community creates a ROM. Apple still supports the iPhone 4S with the latest iOS updates. I suspect it will drop off this year, but even still that's over 4 years of updates and support. Android doesn't come anywhere close.

Conclusion/TL;DR: There are a multitude of reasons why people choose iOS instead of Android that have nothing to do with technical ability or intelligence. Some of which were outlined above, but my statements were not exhaustive.

Last edited:
unknown - fair points friend, interesting that on the home buttons, we got some atm that work but the fingerprint never works again, but the phone updates fine. We have a lack of Apple shops where I am believe it or not, the ones we have are run by a real arsehole and I've never heard of him doing in house service, he always sends them in to Apple, which thells you he doesn't know the first thing about repairing them. But that aside, i was having a conversation with a Vodafone woman across from my shop, about how crap every tablet is apart from the iPads. They just work. I pick up an S2 tab and its fucked, starts freezing on web pages and what not.

I guess if you had to put me on the apot as to why I dislike Apple so much, first of all it is like me trying to drive a left hand drive car (right hand in Aus). So thats bias straight up, but I had an iPhone 5 for the better part of a year, and for me it was just boring, I couldnt seem to do anything with it that I wanted to.

I don't get into rooting or anything much like that myself, but today I had a customer with a Korean Note 3, with absolutely no software on it. Was a bit of a mission to find a reliable ROM, well one I could have some trust in anyway, but basically it took 15 minutes of my time and the rest was spent downloading and installing so about 2 hours. While I agree you shouldnt have to go down this route for reliable updates and stable software, it wasn't that hard. But its essy to see why the mainstream user would be deterred. But then, why fork out for an iPhone if you only want to use it basically? I've come to the conclusion we all want to be fancy lol.

At the end of the day, the Samsung GS5 has been my longest serving phone, and despite not getting the greatest reviews and having cooked the plastic frame on a customers S5 before, I love it and I recommend it to anyone when they ask. Ironically, my second longest serving phone was the iPhone 5.

Boy I am almost missing my old SG5 myself.

The 6P saga continues. After a recent 6.0.1 patch my phone is even worse. The existing problem of dropped data connections continues.
Now WiFi connections continually drop at home, bluetooth is acting funny and I am noticing other weird behavior in various apps and situations.

I will try at some point to force a downgrade or just get rid of the phone. If this was Apple I imagine the furor would have caused them to fix it, Google doesn't give a rats fuck about it.

I may be done with Android.

I will say that the Galaxy S5, while flawed served me better over the 2 years I had it. Probably the best phone I had after all. As for this, I am sick of the bullshit. Shame too because for the first 2 months everything was perfect and google fucked it all up. I thought with Nexus I would be able to trust the updates not to fuck it up, but here I am. In a much worse position than I ever was with the S5.

If everything was perfect before those updates, when why not go back to that previous ROM? That's half the reason for owning a Nexus: you can easily put any ROM you want on it.

Also, what carrier are you using it on?

If everything was perfect before those updates, when why not go back to that previous ROM? That's half the reason for owning a Nexus: you can easily put any ROM you want on it.

Also, what carrier are you using it on?

Verizon. I am going go down that road. I have never done that stuff before. I am a noob to rooting and such. I will figure it out though. I am just being lazy...like Google.

I've had mine for a couple weeks now. Have noticed the data drop out a couple times. Too many variables to blame just the phone though, as I'm running a custom ROM, and it has only happened while USB tethered to my router. Which my Note 2 did as well.
And also when making calls, but figured out you had to enable HD calling on vzw.com to allow data+voice simultaneously, or disable the advanced calling.

Other than that this phone is tits. Have it customized exactly to my liking. Everything is smooth and responsive. Never dealing with that locked down Samsung shit again. Get a whopping 130mbps/35mbps at my house as well. Just hope the battery doesn't crap out after a year or two. Could see myself using this phone for quite some time.

It is not consistent but at times it is frustratingly unresolvable.
Will be trying to flash the radio tonight as per some other folks recommendations.

Just chiming in here. While I don't have the Nexus 6P I do own the 6. I'm wondering if you have a defective phone? I have NO problems with my phone at all and have received and installed all the OTA updates. And just to throw this out there....I'm almost the only one in my company on Android and honestly iPhone users restart and complain about their phones daily. No lie, and this is people who are die hard Apple fans. So really both camps have their problems.

Just chiming in here. While I don't have the Nexus 6P I do own the 6. I'm wondering if you have a defective phone? I have NO problems with my phone at all and have received and installed all the OTA updates. And just to throw this out there....I'm almost the only one in my company on Android and honestly iPhone users restart and complain about their phones daily. No lie, and this is people who are die hard Apple fans. So really both camps have their problems.

Don't think the phone is defective. It was fine up until 6.0.1 and that is what the horde of people with similar problems site as being the beginning of these problems.

HOWEVER, last night I flashed the radio to 2.50 and so far this morning it seems much better. Many people are saying this is a 100% fix for this problem.

Again, if I get this fixed I will be 100% happy once again. I just want what I used to have before 6.0.1 which was a super stable and great phone.

I may have got the whole rooting bug by looking into flashing it though, so I may look at CM or other things later.

Cool, hope that fixes it for ya. That's the nice thing about not being locked down, most of the time you can correct an issue yourself, and not be waiting possibly months or never for a carrier/manufacturer update. Which usually just breaks other things anyway.

I'm running the Pure Nexus rom. Love it. Disabled on screen buttons, installed Google now launcher. Pretty much perfection in my book.

Back